1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things U Love & hate about abroad

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by cheer, May 10, 2007.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I was wondering as lots of ladies living in abroad, so why don't we start this topic.

What do U like in abroad & what ure missing in abroad, other way Why still India is the best:mrgreen: .

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes,good topic.

What I like about U.S.:
    1. The conveniences at home-dishwasher,dryer
    2. The pleasant weather here in CA.
    3. The wonderful roads and traffic rules.
    4. Almost anything can be done just using a phone.
    5. The pollution free environment.
    6. The daycare facilities at schools.
    7. The public transport system in some places , eg. NYC,simply too good.
    8. Parks and recreation places with clean toilets.
    9. Clean restrooms in all shops and malls and even along the highway.

What I don't like here:
    1. School dropouts,the rate is alarmingly high.
    2. Guns are available freely,crime rate is high.
    3. Importance given to education is very low.
    4. Teenage sex,drugs and alcoholism.
    5. Family values- zero.
    6. Divorce is an everyday affair.
    7. The general culture is a big shock.

I miss some simple things-like jasmine flowers for my hair,feast served on vazhaillai(plantain leaf),the warmth and coziness of being among my own people in my own country.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Nice idea Cheer...

What I love about being abroad....That at last I feel at home here..
    What I hate about being abroad....That it has got me feeling like that!!!!

:):cry:
    L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunitha,

wow great analyze, well i also think some points & would love to share with u all.

Things I like about <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada-</st1:place></st1:country-region>

1) People are very friendly, always pass smile & always helpful (not talking abt desi's):wink: .
    2) Love autumn, spring here.
    3) Lovely houses & I admire them.
    4) Same what told by sunitha everything done by phone, convenient.
    5) Everything is well maintain & Good Law & Order system.

Things I Hate About <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada-</st1:place></st1:country-region>

1) Everything done by us cleaning, washing, cooking, ironing etc.:icon_frown:
    2) Feeling lonely, isolated, home sick-ness.
    3) Hate doing weekly grocery.
    4) Health system is sucks sometime, u can only use emergency when u really dying (heeeeee)
    5) Cultural shock especially for kids.
    6) Hate Winter very depressing.

Well those are some points right now I’m remembering. But at last I think due to we born & brought up in <st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region> for us <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> is the Best.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Nice Idea Cheer,

kamla, i think I am half way to feeling like you do!!!

Well What i like about being here: all the same things that Sunitha has listed. Plus: customer service is the be all and end all of all businesses. India is getting there but still has some ways to go. people are so friendly and genuine too. .

What I miss about India: all the festivals, my relatives and the jasmine flowers, etc...

What i don't like about the US: too much freedom for everything in the name of rights!! No gun control.
    What i don't like about India: toomuch corruption at every level.!!

6. shrinithie

shrinithie New IL'ite

Adding to the already nice list

Things I like in US
    911 - You know for sure somebody will come to help in case of any emergency in few minutes.
    The nature of people to go out and visit places during vacations.
    Work culture - Only 8 hrs of work unless very important.

Things I don't Like in US
    Life without a Car is a hell here... public transportation is good only in very few areas

Things I miss in India..

The easiness of travel in two wheelers, autos to nearby places without depending on others.
    The closeness of family....(staying at mom's place for a week-end whenever you want to. oh... what a blessing that is)
    The warmth of grandparents and relatives our children miss. (I used to spend the whole of summer vacations in grandparents house
    and visiting all relatives.. adjusting/playing with new people, seeing new places.)
    The roadside shops.. Just stop by for a quick chat item or samosa or hot puffs or sugarcane juice...

Rgds
    SN

7. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi all !!!!!!!!!!
    I really love to write something in this thread.
    I miss my India for our parents and relatives, their love (some really do while most show-off). But in abroad (I mean to USA) nobody shows off to you because they least bother about the love.....emotions nor do they care about the need to satisfy others as we do in India (saas ki mama ki tai ka bhatija bura maan jayega).
    Missing the CHAT/BHEL/PUCHKAs on road-side stalls and all the E.coli/Salmonella infections out of them. But here E.coli contamination used to make history and forget about other stuffs.
    Footpath shopping (remember the bargaining in Karol-Bagh), ohhhhhhhhh love to be admired by relatives on getting something soooo good at little price. In USA, no shop belongs to the person receiving cash, so put a big smile, pay the bill and drove back. The heart will sink when the 35 buck sweater you brought in Winter will be seen on sale at 5 bucks in spring/summer. Think about India, the price remains same through out the year, (I really miss that admiration of my relatives).
    I miss the long long speeches given by all our political leaders on Independence Day or Republic Day but here leaders speak really less, so can't mock their style easily.
    lot more to write.

8. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

hey all,
    adding to the above list
    In USA
    1.I like shopping experience evrywhere and cusmerservice and parking space in all the places
    2.vareities of food and varieties of restaurants
    3. schools and gyms close by to the house
    In India
    1.i like functions like marraiges, grhava pravehams..etc, wearing sarees and jewelery
    2.social life like interacting with neibhours and others with out making calls or appointments
    3.going to temples
    4. mainly for kids they enjoy being with lot of people and enjoying playing and
    spending time with grand parents and uncles and aunts...

9. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Nice to hear abt ur likes & dislikes abt abroad, indeed we all missing India especially social functions, chat, bindi, gajra etc.

Keep them coming:2thumbsup: .

Since my marriage i didn't attend any marriage what a pity:cry: . I always want to wear nice-2 sarees, jewelry etc, but didn't get any luck yet. Although i attend some receptions here but not like in India. I missed marriage food too:mrgreen:

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  10. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

I missed colorful clothes also, whenever i watch indian serials i realized how much i missed beautiful, latest designed colorful salwar kameez/sarees.