1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

things needed to bring from india while coming to USA for 6months

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by springsnb, Nov 25, 2013.

1. springsnb

springsnb Gold IL'ite

Hi ILS,

My cousine is coming from india to california just for 6 months on comapany trip with wife. WHAT are the main things they need to bring from india.....Ils ANy ideas?

Cloths
    Idli plates
    Mixy----- which one is best? PREEThi is ok?
    Pressure cooker---is it neccessary?

Your Ideas plz ILS?

2. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

if it is just for 6 mnths then better not to carry anything from india other than clothes and pressure cooker..:)

3. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP, it also depend on where they are going to stay. If they are going to stay in hotel for few days (weeks) and without car or any access to transportation or help from friends in initial days, its better to bring some (little amount of) groceries like, rice, atta flour, noodles, oats packets, dal, dry fruits and nuts. Atleast for first one week. And the minimum utensils to cook. Like lucky said, pressure cooker. I would also include chapati roller and one or two vessels.

1 person likes this.
  4. springsnb

springsnb Gold IL'ite

Thank you Lucky2 for prompt reply......
    What about Mixie? how can we prepare idli batter or dosa batter without mixie?...if They want any chutneys made with cabbage,tomato,beerakai then how ? is there any type of blender work fine like as mixie here? I don't know bez i brought mixie with me. If you have any idea please share...

5. springsnb

springsnb Gold IL'ite

Thanks cinderella for your prmopt reply...

Initially they r going to stay in hotel for 2weeeks with no car..

Chapati roller
    doyou have any idea on blenders to make chutneys like cabbage, tomato,beerakai etc.

6. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello OP,

Just ask them to plan for stuff they are ok to dispose off when they go back. As mostly, after 6 months they may not have space to pack them back to India. So, mixie may not be in the top of my list. If I am to recommend, this would be my minimal list.

Idli plate + container --> The container could be used for cooking as well
    Dosa tawa + laddle
    Pressure cooker
    roller-pin
    2 steel plates(if needed) --> You could use the reverse for making chapathis as well
    Preethi 110V mixie --> You could also get Oster Blender in USA for batter & chutney (blender 25-30$ and a mini-jar 5$)
    Cooking vessels (if any )- 10 piece non stick cookware sets cost less than 50$
    Medications - with prescriptions/bills with the travellers names.
    Maggi + bru

Hope this helps.

Also ask them to book in hotels with Kitchen like extended stay America etc.. for their initial stay, so they could buy the rest within this time.

Cheers,
    JM

1 person likes this.
  7. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

There are plenty of Indian blenders available online. So they can purchase them after coming here. Even idly cooker, they can buy online.

8. GoldenMist

GoldenMist Silver IL'ite

regarding pressure cooker,i got one here on amazon for $35.I believe converting this anount to INR, the prices in India are also similar.
    You can check online anyways.If you find there not much difference in price,then do not that huge thing with you.you can buy here...

also idli plate are available in Indian grocery stores....not only this many things like rolling pin to make chapatis, laddles etc.....only thing is bring baby's food like cerelac n all and some warm clothes. milk,fruit pulp for baby etc you will get in shops like CVS,Target,Rite aid

Main thing you bring here is certificate from your baby's paed stating what all vaccinations are given along with his/her signature,it's medical file

9. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

The cousin or the wife can join the forum and get the first hand information.