1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Things I Am Learning About Marriage

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Nov 22, 2012.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

I felt like writing a blog post because my heart feels a bit heavy right now. I'll eventually feel better, but now, because I made some mistakes, I feel bad, and I thought writing it out would make me feel better.

So in no particular order, this is what I have learned in the short time I am married, in no particular order

- If you are suspicious that your hubby is doing something, you will only push him away. Instead, focus on being the type of wifey that every man dreams of .... then you will attract your hubby's heart again

- While during matrimonial correspondence over the several years, I've noticed that the unhappy people, especially the divorced ones were those who were most suspicious of others, who were quick to assume that the other person was out to cheat them, when in fact there was a logical, human explanation for their behavior

- Respect the opinions of elders who had more experience, but understand that opinions are based on one's frame of thinking, i.e. someone with dirty glasses will think everything and everyone is dirty

- Use your own heart and mind to make judgements about hubby. Especially if both of you are from different environments, the way hubby goes through day-to-day life is totally different from you. You may take certain things for granted, but for hubby, there are certain things he may have never heard of

- Be careful what you say to hubby, he may think something and if you are unable to follow through, he will feel sad, and you will feel sad about making him sad, and will regret ever bringing the topic up

- God is bigger than anything in the world. After all, he created the Universe. He bought you and hubby together by moving mountains, creating miracles, do you really think some human being is going to defeat God?

- When God create living beings, he included a piece of himself inside, sometimes referred to as the Self. Remember that you also have the power to turn your life for the positive, that after the rain comes rainbows

- God is always with you. Think about God, meditate upon God and he won't hurt or betray you

- If you are going through a rough time in life, God is testing your faith in him

- Instead of saying, why can't so-and-so be a nicer father, mother, in-law, hubby, ask yourself, how you can be a better daughter, daughter in-law, wifey. Remember, JFK said, "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"

I dunno what else to say. Right now, my heart feels a bit heavy. Again, I know I have lots to learn about marriage, and life in general

- Oh yeah, try to visualize what you would like to accomplish and how that will help your family.

- We each contain a different piece of God, so God bought all sorts of people and personalities into our life so that we help each other, i.e. you may need encouragement, moral support for career from one person, another person may help with babysitting your children down the road, etc. So we need to learn to forgive each other for our human flaws and focus on the work needed to be done.

I guess that's it for now.....

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear ZZZZ,

You have nicely converted a difficult situation in life into a learning experience. This is a very important trait in life everyone should have. In my opinion, there is no room for fear between spouses. As you rightly said God has a reason to put two people together. Like we find the reason for our existence, we need to also find a reason for us leading a life with our spouse. Only difference is, now we have a partner to think and find out the common objective of living together. While doing so, we have to ensure our individual goals are not in conflict with the common goal.

The most essential ingredients for success of relationship with a spouse is love, trust and care. Our heart should pour all of that constantly while our head will automatically look for something that is violating anyone of them. If what is pouring out of our heart is higher than the content coming out of head, the content from the head will automatically get drowned. On the contrary, if the content from the head is heavier observing everything coming from the heart, both need counseling.

Openness to ask questions freely and answer truthfully and regret and apologize when we realize our mistakes are the two aspects that are critical to the success of a marriage. The relationship needs to be built based on equal respect for each other. If one needs to be submissive to the other, then, it becomes slavery. Listening to each other is essential for success as well. Listening does not mean hearing the words but also watching the body language of each other. Reaching out and reconciling are important but should be done in a conducive and cordial manner.

In simple terms, both should be warm but should not get hot and should be cool but should not freeze.

Viswa

3. zipzipzoomzoom

That is excellent analysis!!!!!!!

I've noticed that people who follow their hearts are more happy and successful in life. My dad advised me to go with my heart when choosing which matrimonial alliance to pursue.

And even Steve Jobs said something along with lines of following our hearts to do something we love, to take chances in life because today may be our last and we are already vulnerable, so we might as well follow our hearts.

And guess what, his company Apple came back to life and we have all these wonderful innovations, because a single human being followed his heart .....

4. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Very nice blog ZipZipZoomZoom. Perhaps from my few years of experience in married life, I can only say this: Both should learn to respect each other. And may require loads of patience at times to get over. They may have a contrasting opinion on a subject and at times, one may have to swallow hard for their opinion not counted too. But definitely they should put forth what they have in mind. And it never works out like the past where it is always the wife to keep quiet and let go, in most cases.

And, there may be a fight. Yes. But we should always reconcile. There shouldn't be a hesitation in extending the peace flag first and start talking. Well. Thats my view. -rgs

5. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

These are profound Zipzipzoomzoom. Appreciate it and like it.

6. zipzipzoomzoom

There is a saying that in an argument, it is better to be happy than right. So I've noticed there was one time when this happened - actually, my husband let me be right :)

Oh Gosh! At this point, I cannot imagine a fight .... I am almost scared of having a fight in marriage .... I guess I never saw a healthy fight, like bickering back and forth, then kissing and making up ;-)

7. zipzipzoomzoom

Believe it or not, I only realized these points now. Just because someone has some flaw, it doesn't mean you discard them from your life. God sent them so they can help you. And you of course are helping them somehow....

8. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear ZZZZ,

Can We?

Can we put ourselves in the position of our spouse and feel their feelings in every situation we want to say 'NO'?

Can we say " Sorry I made a mistake. This will not happen again" when we realize we have knowingly or unknowingly deeply hurt the feelings of the spouses?

Can we accept such a statement from the spouse without a sense of victory and smile with love?

Can we really accept " To err is human and to forgive is divine"?

Can we avoid negative adjectives in our interactions?

Can we honestly be proud in our contribution to the spouse and our family?

In my opinion, an honest introspection and " Yes" to ourselves for all these questions contributes to the success of a marriage.

9. zipzipzoomzoom

This would be quite valuable to me. I would like to get better at putting myself in my husband position, to see his point of view, so I can understand him better.

10. sandhyars

sandhyars Bronze IL'ite

Doesnt all these sound way too ideal? Just a question popped-up, how much effort one should put in an relationship when there is zero effort from other side. this is just a sample q, sorry did not want to hijack your thread.
    Life wants us to be much more practical rather than idealistic. Because this is my personal exp, i was verymuch like this - respect for each other, personal space, patience etc., but marriage taught be different things.
    Sorry once again to barge-in .