1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 20, 2024.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda Finest Post Winner

It's been a blazing summer. Temperatures have reached a high that Bangalore has never seen before. I want to crawl under the cot to give my non-existent doggy company. That is as weather goes. As life goes ..... well, there are days when I don't want to crawl out of bed and would like to make a tent of my duvet and stay buried under that. But that is when Nature shows me her 'jalwas' and pulls me right out, making me want to dance and sing to the tune of 'These are a few of my favourite things'.

So here goes. These are a few of my favourite things:'

440943112_7786863338040340_5904468679967309717_n.jpg

The day starts with a hibiscus waiting to greet me as I walk out the door to work.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-20 at 5.33.50 PM.jpeg

I arrive at work and walk into the classroom to be welcomed by this sight.

I come back home and walk into my balcony. Am concerned about my guava plant, which looks like it is infected.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-20 at 11.25.29 AM.jpeg

I tell the gardener who comes once a week to take a look at it. He informs me that it is a nest. An ant nest I assume and ask him to remove it. "You want to remove it" he asks. He informs me that there is an egg in it. Between his language and my ability to understand him, "Ant eggs?" I ask. He tells me it is that of a small bird. How could the bird come through the net I have installed to keep out pigeons? It is very small he says. I am intrigued. I take a peep into the nest and this is what I see.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-20 at 11.26.38 AM.jpeg

An egg! A BLUE egg!!! To me it looks nothing less than a golden one!

My day is made. I dance around in excitement, posting pics all over the place. It is a tailor bird's egg. A feeling of anxiety creeps in. I hope the bird does not mind the fact that I have been intrusive. Hope it does not desert its nest in my balcony.

Now comes the wait for the D-day. Only sadly enough, I realize I might miss the big event, as I would be travelling.

Sigh. But LG. It is worth living. While I suffered the summer heat, my garden seems to have just loved it. It's given me many a treat this season. Fingers crossed. May these joyful days continue.

Induslady, Mistt, Rihana and 8 others like this.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Lovely write up. Your spirit of joy is infectious and I could myself feel the excitement in your surroundings. True, the spell of rains after the terrible heat this summer, is more than welcome. Planning to clean up my balcony garden too and give it a fresh look with additional plants . Shall post pics when done

3. satchitananda

Will look forward to that, Joylokhi!

joylokhi likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda
    My dear satchi
    When the dog bites or when the bee stings or when I am feeling sad, I will simply remember this blog of yours!

joylokhi and satchitananda like this.
  5. satchitananda

Great to know that, CS. Thanks ever so much!

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hi Satchi,

I am happy to see a snippet from you after a while! Garden city still retains its habitats pretty much unlike Chennai which has become a unfriendly city for almost all species. After eliminating the sparrows, all other birds are slowly disappearing. One needs to move far away from the city to see some interesting bird activities. As you know, I have recently built a house near Maya Jaal in Chennai where I installed 8 cameras for security reason. I enjoy listening (from the US( to the morning birds and Sunset everyday through these cameras. It is enjoyable. Here in the US, we are all saturated with so much of nature.

Your snippet brought some happiness after I was sad to see CSK failing to qualify in the hands of RCB. How did Bangalore manage to keep that predicted rain away for a day? I guess RCB is destined to go to the playoff.

How is the traffic in Bangalore now? Last time I visited Chennai, it is really bad. When I go to Chennai, I feel like staying home most of the time.

satchitananda likes this.
  7. satchitananda

So good to hear from you, Viswa! That is astounding. You can listen to the sounds around your Chennai home in the US! Talk of technology!!! I always envy all you guys in the US. The amount of nature and natural beauty, the flora and fauna you get to see and enjoy there!!!

Am clueless about cricket, so not much I can say to that.

The traffic in Bangalore is as bad as usual. Despite all the beautiful highways we build at breakneck speed, the roads within the city are virtually non-existent - patches of road between potholes and spine-breaking speedbreakers often installed at turnings is more like it.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 5.17.15 PM.jpeg

This at a junction on the way to work.

Somethings never change.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama IL Hall of Fame

Hi Satchi,

Nice to see you with your excitement and pictures for the same! Amazing, isn't it? Only if we care to observe. I am glad Bangalore has seen rain, and all is well. May you continue to get more and more of your favorite things!

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  9. satchitananda

Thanks a ton, Sabitha! So true, we tend to forget to 'stand and stare'. We spend decades being 'busy' and forget to enjoy the little things in life, to the extent we sometimes tend to forget about their existence. So glad for these daily events in my balcony to keep me alive to Nature.

Thyagarajan and radv like this.
  10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Nice to see a blog from you after a long time Satchi.
    In claiming ourselves to be busy always even if not we forgot small pleasures of life and enjoy them. I am not talking about those who are really busy.
    In that pursuit of busyness we are missing little little things which give us pleasure and in my view peace too!
    Keep writing.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan, radv and satchitananda like this.