There is no room for grief ! - Bhagavad Gita verses 2.23 & 2.24

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Re: There is no room for grief !

Dear AC,
    I thought the title would be misleading, because on reading the title, one might be lead to think that I was writing about a specific remedy for grief!
    There is no remedy - it is just acceptance that we need, the bitter pill, that it is.
    Love,
    Chithra

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. Chitvish

Oh, AC,
    I can see that you are getting deeply engrossed in Gita teachings. I am just thrilled not because Gita is everlasting but because you like my presentation!(right, AC?;-))
    Yes, I will write about Pancha bhutas after I complete the second chapter.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Dear Shan,
    You said it in a nutshell - "easier said than done."
    Do not think or say
    I have to go a long way to come to that stage....
    You have the first company in me besides a whole lot of us. Just because of my posts, do not judge me wrong! I am as human, as much a samsari, as full of follies as everybody else is !!
    When we live our life (rather, learn to live) with equipoise & balance, as a witness (observer) to all the pleasures & pains around us,the existing vasanas get exhausted and no more new vasanas will be produced. As the vasanas decrease, peace of mind and tranquility within, increase.We gradually & slowly progress towards the ultimate truth.
    I did not want to write the above in the vasanas post, because I thought the understanding will be clearer with this post.
    Thanks, Shan.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chitu,

The title made me jump into the thread..

You have explained it so beautifully. For all souls who waste their life in grief and for those who are waiting to waste their life in grief this thread is a MUST READ...

Good one Chitu!!!:hatsoff:hatsoff

5. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chith

Your heading is catchy chith. When I read this I remembered the following lines of Swami Vivekananda
    "Pleasure will come – good: who forbids? Pain will come: welcome that too. A mosquito was sitting on a bull’s horn: then his conscience troubled him and he said, Mr Bull, I have been sitting here along time. Perhaps I annoy you. I am sorry, I will go away. “ But the bull replied, “Oh, no, not at all! Bring your whole family and live on my horn; what can you do to me?” Why can we not say that to misery?
    I liked the your reply to Shanvy. To be an observer and go through it completely and slowly emerge from it.

Love
    Vidhi

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    One more Enlightening post! Now i do understand that indeed grief has no room.Whats the use of thinking about the grief of the past and make present a greivable one? The Most powerful&wonderful line i admire in Gita:"Edhai nee kondu vandhai athai ezhakka".Nothing is our's..so Why grief?

Your Reply to Our dear Kamla,again clarified some of the Questions i had too.We are samsari's and we have to carry ourselves with this ananatma-being our duty n responsible.Living with worldy pleasures and desries...But still can keep Atma pure and show bhakthi towards god.

Chith,not to offend anyone..my little thought..If each one of us can carry out a self discipline,pure heart &think good for us,surroundings&world, i'm sure our World would be filled with positive energy and there would be no place for grief and misery.

Thank you for this wonderful thought..my day going on great..no grief!

7. Chitvish

Dear Mals,
    I feel very happy to read your FB.
    I cannot help saying, you are wise beyond your age and blessed that such hard-hitting statemets are easily acceptable to you.
    Thanks a ton, Malsma.
    Love,
    Chitu.

8. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    Thankyou - you are yet another regular in my forum "from time immemorial" !!
    The title is catchy, yes, but conveys a hard, blunt truth.
    Very often, I think, instead of suppressing unpleasant emotions, it is better if we "go through them" and "be done with them".
    Equanimity or equipoise comes out of one's own wisdom and understanding.We have to learn to gradually detach ourselves from the personality layers (pancha kosas) and from apart, watch them as a witness. Krishna says that is the ultimate spiritual goal.
    But, I repeat, not easy to practise, Vidhi.
    Love,
    Chith.

9. Chitvish

Dear Aishu Baby,
    You, youngsters, score over oldies like me in your intelligent thinking. Believe me, I am clean bowled by your last para.
    A little goodwill & positive energy from everybody can make this world, a much happier place - but we cannot rise above our petty thinking and pains easily.
    It is a gradual evolution and let us start our march towards that goal atleast on reading and understanding Gita.
    Thanks, Aishu.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra...

Very heavy topic (the topic itself...and I suppose some of us may actually feel a little emotionally heavy after reading this)...but well-written... :)

Basic doubt here....

If, as per Gita, one is not suppposed to be attached to material things - physically or emotionally, then why has God brought us to the material world, i.e, earth, in the first place...? Why was Nature created? Why were humans given the sixth sense and ability to use nature to build things of utility / desire (clothes, jewels etc)? Why were relationships defined, as in, why do we have the sense to feel love for someone else, when, according to Gita, this very attachment is the rootcause of sorrows? And then, Gita itself says that there is no room for grief !!!!

Am I confused here?

Lots of love:)
    Pavithra

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008