The worrying trend of drinking epidemic amongst women

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Dinny, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

@mahajanpragati

Right ppl are to be blamed if they follow whats shown in the movies blindly.Better sense should prevail.

But why isnt govt. doing anything to curb something like this.One of the reasons why goa is so famous is because the alcohol available there is tax free.The only state in India with this kind of priviledge.
    That worries me...

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

@girlygirl
    Hihihi
    Ekta kapoor will be extremely happy to see your post.:)
    Jokes apart...you are right she has shown some social responsibilty in the kind of serials she produces.
    Though about movies i am not so sure.I am sure watching a movie depends on one's personal choice ...so thats fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

@luckysangeetha

The teenage drinking trend sounds more alarming now.
    I have a feeling that as a woman i have some responsibilities towards my family.Especially my child.
    So if i was someone addicted to alcohol how would it effect my child?? My family life?? Those are the thoughts that i get.
    I have observed that those who are singles(man/woman) have more tendencies to such binge drinking habbits.

4. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

@luckysangeetha- true, i feel very bad when i see high school kids drink. their excuse or explanation for this- i am still getting good grades, i can manage it, so why should it be a problem?

people react differently to alcohol. when i was in college, a first year junior of mine died due to multi organ failure.
    he was a chronic drinker. but he was just 21 or 22years of age.so he might have been drinking for maximum 6 or 7 years of his life.

on the other hand, a friend of my dad's who is above 40 almost drowns himself in alcohol everyday. even then he has no health issues, he does not even have a beer belly at 40.

so seeing someone we should never take to alcohol, just because somebody else was spared of its ill effects, doesn't necessarily mean that we too shall be spared.

2 people like this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

@girlygirl
    That reminds me a classmate of mine died when we in 4th yr engg.
    Alcoholism was the issue.
    That news had shocked us all back then.

6. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

Yes obviously when you get drunk you are not yourself and loose your senses and so you act in a weird way and go any extreme to do anything because the senses are not in our control

Eg::Recent delhi Gangrape. All were alcoholics

See when the sense go out of our control we become the real animals may be we can put it another way the animal instinct in us comes out. Alcoholism should be banned I would say ruthlessly. Is that the way to keep sane??

Like painkillers they don't actually kill the pain the chemicals go to the top of the connecting line of the spinal cord and brain and stay there for hours and so we think the pain went off actually the pain is still there but we don't realise the pain. Alcohol also the same way it acts....

And these flowering buds drinking I am not able to tolerate. Donno. i am going to future mom seriously worried. Alcohol shops are day by day increasing. And the supply of them are of low quality to increase the sales.....

Feeling sad about the future of these kids and future world

1 person likes this.
  7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Yes ppl do behave animal like when they have lost their senses.
    A drunk women can be easily taken advantage of.I hope those who drink do realise this.
    I dont think govt will take any action against the increasing number of bars.The reason is govt gets a good income as tax from them.And ofcourse the under table payments too...

8. PixiePart

PixiePart Silver IL'ite

Dinny- I am shocked that except for one frivolous reply you haven't got a single comment presenting the other case. I think you are being very judgemental in your post.

What you have described is binge drinking- excess of anything is bad. Be it alcohol, be it food. Would you be so judgemental about an obese person- heart disease, fertility issues, liver damage- these are all side effects of obesity too. FTR, there's enough research out there saying a glass of wine may actually be good for your heart. However, I don't see any post on the obesity epidemic among women.

Every adult has the right to chose for them self- what they don't have is the right to impose their choices on others. You are a teetotaller that's your choice, I like an occasional drink that's my choice. You find it yuck, I love the taste of wine- again different strokes for different folks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    4 people like this.
  9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

:) pixie
    Yes i have some catching up to do.
    I too have read that a glass of wine is good for heart.I am not against wine but what about whiskey and tequila shots.2-3 glass of sparkling wine wont get you drunk but 3 shots of tequila might.
    Now lets not give those heavy drinkers some excuses....they need help.
    Women do get addicted to alcohol faster.Occasional glass of wine with friends in a get together is perfectly fine with me.Its the heavy drinking,getting drunk till you loose your senses is what i am against.
    Yes everyone has the right to choose a lifestyle...i am not against it.
    Judgemental....i am.
    I am no angel.
    when i see ppl doing things which is against the common social laws...i raise my concern.

If you luv your glass of wine then so be it ....but to mine i will still add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.lol

10. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Pondicherry too is famous for tax-free alcohol and many of my friends used to go to Pondy on weekends and get drunk. In Chennai, some pubs even offer free beer nights for ladies/girls on weekdays. Their idea is if more ladies/girls are present, boys will also be interested. There are call-taxi businesses run only for women with women drivers so that girls/ladies feel safe.

1 person likes this.