1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The wandering monkey!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Abha
    You seem to have studied the monkey behaviour at length! You are absolutely right that if something sits still for a few seconds, it can not be a monkey! And what animal is more endearing than the monkey? In the 2005 version of King Kong, the look that the giant ape gives Ann Darrow before falling to his death after being felled by a burst of gun fire still haunts me!
    Reading PGW is more relaxing than any other form of yogic exercise!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    I want to narrate a well known story here even though I am aware that most of our ILites would have heard it.

Sage Narada, who chanted the Lord’s name all the time, always thought that he was the greatest devotee of Lord Narayana.
    "Once the Lord said, 'Narada, there is one farmer on earth who is a greater devotee than you.' Narada doubted this and came down to earth to see the peasant in person. He found that the farmer would chant the Lord's Name only three times a day. 'How could he be a greater devotee than I?' thought Narada. Upon returning, he mentioned his doubt to the Lord.
    "The Lord gave him a small vessel filled to the brim with oil and asked Narada to keep it on his head and go round a particular hill without spilling even a drop of it.
    "When Narada returned after finishing the round, the Lord asked, 'How many times did you chant My Name in between?'
    "Narada thought about it and was surprised to discover that he had not remembered the Lord's Name even once because his attention had been fully riveted on the vessel of oil in order that he could complete his task without spilling even a drop of oil.
    "The Lord smilingly said, 'Now do you understand why that farmer is a greater devotee than you? Even in the midst of his toilsome work, thrice he is remembering Me, is he not?'
    One who simultaneously does karma (action) and remembers God is the noblest.

Your 'cooking, reading, watering plants,listening to T.M. Krishna, ironing Ramji's shirt' et al is your way of meditation which the Lord Himself puts on par with Narada's perpetual chanting of His name. And I feel honoured that you have included reading my posts to your form of meditation.
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear AC
    Thank you very much for your kind appreciation for my post followed by your 'usual' warning about the pressure points!I am proud of my age more because I look it and more and more men of my age and appearance are swarming the TV screens as models endorsing prestigious products! It is possible that a few may be jealous of that fact!
    Sri

4. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sri

indru thinamani kadiril
    oru joke?

ottu motha manithanukkum ore initial irukku..ku
    etha vachu solreenga?
    kurangilirunthu piranthavan manithannu solrangale
    atha vachuthaan....

antha periyavaale solliyirukka
    ippadithaan
    kan moodi amarnthaalum
    manam oru kurangu pol
    thaavum enru....

ezhukadalo ezhu kandamo
    thavuthal mana kurangukku mattume saathiyam
    bp yum kurangu pol thaavaamal irunthaal sari

oru t ya vittu c ya piditha kathaya illa irukku

sathya

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Naradi,
    No more AC etc.
    I now realise that you belong to the group of
    சாயற பக்கம் சாயற செம்மறி ஆடுகள் !

You have mentioned

You are proud of your age because you are so wise and cheerful and well educated and well mannered

& Mr He has answered

I am proud of my age more because I look it and more and more men of my age and appearance are swarming the TV screens as models endorsing prestigious products! It is possible that a few may be jealous of that fact!

AC dear, it is just to get an opening for the TV ads that the age & grey hair, beard are all talked about regularly.
    ஆசை யாரை விட்டது ?

I act my age without these ambitions, chanting Krishna, Rama !

சிரிப்பு தான் வருகுது !

Love
    To
    Chitra
    From
    Chithra.

6. Cheeniya

Dear Sathya
    Namadu manam oru kurangai
    Iruppathalthane namakku
    Ivvalavu vishaya gyanam kidaikkirathu?
    Anda kurangu pala disaigalukku
    thava thava nam arivu
    eppadi valargirathu!
    Anda kurangu nammil illai enil
    Naam idicha pulithan!
    Sri

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  7. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I enjoyed reading your 'the wandering monkey' as I find many things like BP, the cardiologit's reactions, meditation etc. are common to both of us. It is a very hilarious post and hats off to you that you find humour even in trying circumstances.

Regards,

TDU

8. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    Thank you for your kind words. Humour is my staple diet, nay life saving medicine! In fact, I have come out of many a tangled web without much feeling of hurt because of my disposition to look at the lighter side of everything. The same disposition has also been an irritant to my family members who think that I can do better if only I can take things a little more seriously!
    Sri

9. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

hi cheeniya sir,

i just came online today and read your post. i must say i had a good laugh, especially about trying to restrain the ever fluid human mind. since i had tried meditation before, i do know that it is rather trying to actually surpress the mind and to focus specifically on making it devoid of thoughts. sigh...

it was also interesting to read how you have depicted the mind to be the wandering monkey...heheheh...good on you sir for finding humour wherever you are...after all laughter is the best medicine...isnt it sir?

may you be in the best of health sir
    regards,

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    I loved your comparison of mind to
    The Wandering Monkey
    &
    Naam idicha pulithan!
    Very true ! Oh, the vagaries of our thoughts !! Two extremes, we can go to !
    Love,
    Chithra.