1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The waltz of the Black Ants

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    As usual from a small thing like reading a paper you have come up with the philosophical thoughts.Usually , they say from a " mole to a mountain" but you have started from ant to a human life with humor coated. ( your usual bhani) now coming to the expression " Siva poojaiyil karadi" I googled and find out this. ( I know a versatile person like you know this.)
    First of all, this is a Kannada saying. The original version goes like this:
    shiva pUje madhye karaDige biTTa hAge

And this dates back to the time when Lingayats had to wear a poonal (string around the body) with a small Karadige (Linga/Shiva idol) tied to it. The gAde (rule book) says that the Shiva puja cannot go on if you forget the Karadige. This is the most important, and all other preparations don't count.

So you can't bring the Karadige in the middle of the puja, cuz it doesn't count then, and it messes up the whole puja.

Over time, Karadige has become Karadi :)I think I have given
    the correct explanation.( which you know also)
    Man's life is short and full of woes. But I think he won't take this as serious. All most all men enjoy the life as a man who enjoys a little drop of honey amidst so many dangers like tiger, bear, falling of branch. Safeguarding the future does not mean he is not enjoying the happy moments.
    So happy to know that the ants had a " sweet" death.
    with love
    pad

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Aniha
    The Solar eclipse that occurred last month was hailed as the most awesome celestrial even of the century the like of which would occur again after some 120 years! The news item added that none of us who ride the earth now would be there to watch it! Imagine the scenario when the earth will be completely flushed off the current population in a span of the next hundred years. Does this thought ever stop us from going ahead with our routine? Never. But the difference lies between the worriers and non-worrieres of the future. All progress invariably happens through people who have no time to think of their eventual exit from the planet!

If at all, the thought of our exit comes to us occasionally, our reaction to that should be, 'Oh God! I have so little time but so much to do!'
    Sri

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    You won't believe it but I was really thinking of starting a thread on reality shows after writing this! There is so much to write about them! More than the actual shows, the drama that precedes and succeeds it!

I am a keen observer of ants. What impresses me most about them is not just their hard toil and extreme cooperative spirit but their ability to communicate particularly in the face of danger. I once drew a line with an anti termite chalk to stop a row of ants from attacking the goodies. The ants which were in the vicinity of the line beat a hasty retreat and while rushing back to their hiding place warned everyone coming in the line of the danger ahead. Every ant thus warned took a 'u' turn and rushed back!

Adhiti Devo Bhava is truly the eastern culture. The Japanse excel in it. For some strange reasons, the Indians are slowly becoming more self centered and their concern for guests is on the wane. But what harm can be done to a guest by too caring a host has been humorously told by the British Humorist, Stephen Leacock in his story, The Awful Fate of Melpomenus Jones, which can be found in his book, 'Literary Lapses'

I do agree. We must find time to smell the roses even if we are fleeing a marauding mad elephant!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

My dear SS
    You are spoiling me! Don't you know that when dealing with a man of my age, one needs to follow moderation very strictly? Excessive appreciation is not good for us like any other excesses! I am extremely happy and satisfied to be in the company of a handful of young people like you in IL who keep smothering me with their love and adoration! I have never enjoyed my life in all these 67 years as I do now in IL.

Having said that, let me now pick up your words 'the unknown future'. Future can be fascintaing only if it remains unknown. Future is a storehouse of all our dreams. No one can dream of a 'known' future. The mystery of what is to be triggers all our dreams. This is one of the reasons why I despise guys like Nostradamus who are such killjoys and dream busters. If people develop the capacity to see the future, they must learn to keep their mouths shut and let others enjoy their life.

If people who savor every moment of their present are labelled indifferent or insensitive, it is indeed a sad statement on the condition of modern living!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Padmini
    I too have heard of this explanation before and I also give it a lot of credance. Otherwise, there is no reason for people to associate a bear of all the animals with the performance of a Pooja! And mind you, bears are rare in Tamilnadu. Why should a bear take precedence over dogs and cats and bandicoots?
    Do you know that Lingayat ladies too wear a Sacred Thread? They are fierce Shiv Bakthas and won't worship other gods.
    Protecting oneself against the imponderables of future is one thing. I am all for it. But worrying too much about future is another thing. What is the use of a man saving everything that he earns without even eating well for future? He may not be healthy to eat anything when the distant future eventually arrives!
    Sri

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir,

Even ants, make u think philosophy ! You are something.HAHA

Ants are good, u have described them very well, having a waltz eh ! some watching , some dancing, and some carrying the sweet back hom to savor later.HAHA

But the same ant will become a pest, if it enters someones undies, as i have been attacked a few times, and then the waltz i did , people told me i danced better than Michel Jackson that day.so it really depends on where the ant is, which decides our fate for the day.

Regarding the soothsayers, well just yesterday night it happened with me.
    Sorry for getting this long, but i must tell u something.We have guests from Spain,.and we took them to Chokhi Dani, the village here, it is a must to visit jaipur.

it is made like a village on 22 acres of proime land, buy who else but a Sindhi, minting money.

So u have camel rides, horse, elephant rides , dances of village belles, puppet shows and the like.

there was an astrologer with the parrot too.His charges were 11/- a decent fellow.just for fun, i went to him, and i was amazed at his precision.I never beleive in this , but for 11 bucks he gave me 11000 rupees worth .Even my brother bhabhi and the guests, he told them things which only they knew, amazing fellow.

But yes it is better to enjoy the present than to think of the future.HAHA

Sir, a damn good post, really wonderfyl as only u can write.

Regards

kamal

7. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Just like you to start of with something and dance your way to something else! I thought you are going to discuss how the Hindu paper is surviving for so long in your style and there you go dancing with the Black Ants in full glory ! Not to mention the Karadi making its appearance and your take on the guests dropping by! Now just as i started scratching my head wondering where you are leading us to....lo, it is to the Future!?! Or was it Just Being Present in the Present!?!:drowning My , my what profound theory all in the Waltz of The black ants!
    As usual, lovely ramblings and what FBs , each was a gem and your replies too! So here i will go looking for the ants and their dance.....oh no, only its going to be a mega search, since i dont find any ants at all here....how i miss those disciplined tiny creatures!:)

Loved these lines.....so true.....i too am always hunting for a fortune teller to find about the future, only to start worrying more about it! What a waste of Life!
    "We keep prying into the secrets of future more and more just to worry about them more and more."

I hope you keep rambling more and more and also you will complete your research on THE HINDU paper!:bowdown

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  8. Cheeniya

My dear Kamal
    That was a typically Kamal stuff! Ants in the pants...er...underpants can be very uncomfortable when you are sitting in a club with friends like me! But they make you dance like MJ is news to me. I have seen a big range of responses to this biting problem but dancing is a new addition. Is it your intention to scare the ants away with your gyrations? Make sure you don't end up in greater pain with sprains and bruises than what the little ants can cause.

Choki Dani sounds like a lot of fun with the soothsayer to boot. But then I believe in letting life take its own unpredictable course than facing some local Nostradamus armed with a parrot and all! If at all I visit an astrologer, it will be only to ask how regular Kamalji's future visits to IL will be. We miss you a lot old man!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    You have increased my desire to write about The Hindu at length but that can be only after I unravel the mystery of its survivability! I hate the paper but I can't start a day without it. When it declares a day off for the Ayuda Pooja and the like, the following day is real hell for me. Yet I hate the Paper. Do I remind you of Mark Antony's funeral oration about Brutus?

Are there no ants in Germany? I am amazed. What kind of a place is that? I can live in a place where there no aunts but not ants! Like the good old Thymoor, I draw all my inspiration from them. I just love them and after I hear that they start exploring Kamalji frequently making him dance like MJ, I love them even more!

And thanks a million for those lovely compliments. Coming from you, they mean a lot to me! What more incentive do I need to keep writing!
    Sri

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

Well i have just posted yesterday a post on Indus after a while, and Soaring Spirit has posted a wonderful FB, well as u rightly said, the body ached more from the dancing than the ants.HAHA

Choklhi Dani is pretty good, made like avillage, in the heart of the city, and it is full all the time. i will taku there,