1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Universality of Parkinson's Law!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear TL
    Every month I throw this question at every one as I write a cheque for energy consumed about why the energy saving devises keep increasing our energy consumption. What you say is very true. In fact, whenever I buy any electrical gadgets these days, I make it a point that they carry the 5-Star energy saver seal. But nothing has changed. So, I just keep the cheque on a copy of Parkinson's Law and fill it up feeling happy that his law is fully justified!

We have a Doctor in Chennai who is very candid about his colossal investments in his gadgets which necessitate his charging a hefty fee for all the tests that he makes us to undergo.Most of us enter a Doctor's house with a common cold and flu and emerge out hunched with the weight of pneumonia, lung collapse, a suspicious looking larynx etc.

I do hope my good friend oj reads this and comes out with a 'pithy law' in answer to your prayers!
    Sri

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Parkinson's theory that the work fills up the time available could be proved if we walk into any software company. Whenever a software company quotes the time required liberally to a customer, still, they end up having a overrun by the time they get to the end of the project. Work and time are like demand and supply in the market. Lesser the demand for time, the work expands and higher the demand for time, the work contracts automatically.

Viswa

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    Even in the Garden of Eden when there was all the time in the world and no work at all to do, the Serpent seems to have worked overtime to tempt Eve to eat the Forbidden Fruit and share it with the poor Adam as well. Parkinson may have spelt out his law only in 1955 but it has been operative right from the dawn of time. Even a seasoned Head of State like Mikhail Gorbachev conceded that Parkinson's Law worked everywhere!

You are absolutely right about the time overrun in software companies. There are several laws governing the working of the IT Industry and the best of them is the Wirth's Law which states that Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster!
    Sri

4. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was quite informative to me Cheeniya Sir. I don't know much about both the subject and Mr. Parkinson. Thanks for sharing. To go on a lighter note:

There were no scanning devices then.
    We were left to rely upon only x-rays.
    But those are the glorious days when
    We were believing others and His grace.

Then came those 'wonderful' medicines
    That were hitherto unknown to us.
    Then came the huge marketing machines
    Which quickly forced them upon us.

Along with it came a lot of stories
    Which we believed without checking.
    But none of them listed the scary
    Ill effects such things were bringing.

Now we don't go to a MBBS at all.
    Instead we prefer an M.D.
    And we are willing to be in thrall,
    Our pockets are soon emptied.

Gone are all those good old days,
    When doctors believed in themselves
    And cared for each and every case.
    Poor folks, we end up in yelps!

5. Cheeniya

My dear RGS
    Your application of the Parkinson's Law to the medical profession is simply superb. I enjoyed every line there. Work expanding to fill the available time is one thing but medicines proliferating to empty our ever growing purse is something I have never thought of!
    A great FB as usual
    Sri

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,
    I do not know much about Parkinsons Law....but what you wrote about medical profession is 100% true. One of our friend's wife in Bangalore had chest congestion...she was made to spend one and half lakhs for various tests.