1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Touch

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

:biglaugh:biglaughI enjoyed reading it. Particulary, the comparison of tipping waiters. Its too good.

By the way, I am very much tempted to know about the poem with which Govindhu was black mailing you. I read all the responses hoping to find it but in vain.:)

Will you please share it Sir?:hide:

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Raba
    Thank you for visiting this old thread of mine which is my favourite too.
    Sujatha, the most eminent writer and my great favourite, always talked about a Mexican washer women joke but he never revealed it till his death. Many people even wonder if there was such a joke at all!
    My poem is not a suspense like that. The first alphabet of every line would combine together to make her name. It was a poem which was filled with my liquid heart! As I had stated in my thread, I have even forgotten her name. She must be a grand mother now possibly babysitting her grandchildren!
    Sri

3. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

That was soooo cute and romantic......:):hiya... I wish there was some more like you when I was in college... there were no romantic letters .... only sleazy ones ... I guess your generation was full of romance and romantic heroes like Sashi Kapoor...Rajesh Khanna..Dilip Kumar... Raj kapoor... we had the angry man Amitabh Bhachan...so I guess the boys wanted to behave crude and rude like him:rant:rant
    Cheenya... I totally agree with you about the tips... I always hide the tips in the pouch they give for the bill and quickily runaway...:hide:
    K

4. Cheeniya

You are right Kelly.
    In my youthful days, love was synonymous with melancholy. Those were very conservative days when it was virtually impossible for lovers to meet. All the pent up love got stored up in the heart and was expressed through a sad smile and heart rending words communicated through small slips of papers hidden in books.
    Life is so fast today that I wonder if people have time even to notice the rainbow through the heavily tinted glasses of their automobiles!
    Sri

5. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Sir,
    Loved your post and all other people's reply too:thumbsup. I am from your generation and enjoyed it.

Romance: you have explained it well. Most of us had crush and that is it. But it stays in your memories. I was listening to old songs form 1966+, I felt good.

You write very well. Say hello to Govindu. :cheers

6. Cheeniya

Dear Coffeelover
    Thanks a lot for listening to my Senile Ramblings for the first time through 'The Touch'!
    I feel elated by your FB but if you belong to my generation, I would urge you to drop the 'Sir'

We share two great interests. I too love my coffee and I am very fussy about my coffee. I do not drink everything that goes in the name of coffee. It has to be only 'filter coffee' and it has to be Leo or Coffee Day powder. Whenever I travel by train and see people drinking the 'coppee' sold by mobile vendors in the coaches, I develop an instant contempt for them. I belong to the group that consider that life has to be lived only on their terms and not on any term as far as consumption of coffee is concerned. I am willing to compromise on all aspects of life except coffee.

The second is Velukkudi Krishnan. He is a great friend of our family and we had invited him to deliver a special lecture on 'Mathrubakthi' on the occasion of my mother's 90th birthday. It was scintillating stuff. But my bakthi for Mukkur Lakshminarasimhachar is boundless.

Regards
    Sri

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

HAHA.Great one Sri.You made my morning.

They say uin London, if u drop a 5 pound, and if the waiter gives u a call, and brings it to u, tell him keep it, otherwise u will have to tip hinm 10 pounds.:rotfl

A 5 star Steward is my friend, well i have all sorts of friends , dont worry Sri, i move among the high and the low of soceity.He told me of egostic customers, who if u repfer by the names, like Welcome Mr.Mahtani, u have come after so may days, he feels pleased.

When he leaves he will give u his purse, and u have to take out the money for the bill, and the tip as much as u please.:biglaugh

And this Steward tells me, inform me before u come, u acn have anything in the hotel the food and the drinks at half the price, but no Bill will be given, all set with eeryone, though i never took the offer, i somehow am not like that.

Gerat one Sri, still laughing, u being blackmailed eh ! Would ur ex girlfriend be worth looking at now, a grandmother surely.HAHA

REgards

kamal

8. Cheeniya

My dear Kamal
    You are absolutely right. A couple of weeks back, I went with a group of friends to the Presidency Club where I had taken you when you were here. The chief bearer walked towards us and asked one of my friends (Anandan whom you know) 'Sir I did not see you for two days. Hope you are OK'. My friend swelled with pride like a balloon and his face glowed like a million watt bulb! He became normal and his face returned to its darkness when it was time to tip him. To help him, we all pitched in and collected six rupees and he added another Rs44 to make it a fifty!

As regards my old flames, only grandmas interest me these days for I know that my ex-flame should be one of them!
    Sri

9. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya Sir,

Another Character, another humour.
    This time seeing CV all over this thread, took some time to read the replies & it all made an interesting reading.
    Poor CV, had to fight all alone here and I missed to join.

just remembered this quote after reading about your ex-flame, "The best love affairs are those we never had".

Those days it was as if sadness was essential part of love - there's more to it when you don't get it & giving birth to beautiful writers and poets. that's the positive side of it.

perfectly agree with you on the 5-star tips. before we embark on any journey outside India, the first thing I always do is to go thru all travel info including service tips in hotels / restaurants pertaining to that particular country. better to avoid those withering looks.

can't help imagining though - senile ramblings to peoms????
    time you revealed the poetic side of you.

10. Cheeniya

Dear Meena
    I totally agree with you that sadness is not only the essential part of love but it does serve to enhance the quality of love. You must have read from my ramblings that I studied in a co-education college where men simply outnumbered women. Consequently each girl was loved by about ten boys and of course they were all classic examples of unrequited love. The sadness part of love was always a lot more in unrequited love than in love affairs not ending in marriages. We were all victims of unrequited love and each of us resembled a Dilip Kumar or Raj Kapoor. It was during this period that I started growing a beard which has now become an integral part of my personality.

Despite all my light hearted rambling, I used to be a monumental tragedian in my student days!
    Sri