1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Tale Of A Friendship – An Unsolvable Conundrum

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Bhargavi03, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

Tamil Nadu, a south Indian state (often collectively addressed as Madras or Madrasis by the rest of the ignorant India) was rather quiet to the outside world and probably best known for its Kollywood and coffee, has suddenly garnered a lot of attention and has become the cynosure of the national media since the wake of the tumultuous and unprecedented events risen due to the latest political coup/crisis in the state preceded by the disastrous Cyclone Vardah , Jallikattu and Ennore oil spill. Or apparently I should date back this whole nation turning its heads towards this Dravidian state to the untimely demise of their charismatic statesman, a now demi-god J.Jayalalitha (fondly called by epithet “Amma” by her fellow citizens). Nonetheless the woman in me (and a Tamil myself) has undoubtedly admired and inspired by this iron lady for her fortitude and power in this male dominated society was rather left in grave shock and disbelief about her unanticipated demise. Not a great follower of Tamil Nadu politics, but my inquisitive brains were tickled and kindled to learn more about this magnificent lady since her death as I delved into her glorious history since her times of cinema, politics and her unbreakable, ever-lasting comradeship with V.K. Sasikala.

As I was reading through plethora of stories about these two ladies, the blossom of their friendship, the controversial theories about their intimate relationship, I was quite befuddled or rather left wondering about Jayalalitha, a lady I furtively admired. Although it was known that Sasikala, was only introduced to her for aiding her as a domestic help, their relationship became something bigger than that of a mistress and an attendant. Jayalalitha was often criticized for her populist politics fostering a personality cult, tyranny with her cadre members prostrating to her and her dictatorial dogmas; might not have been a laureate or a degree holder from elite educational institutions but she was extremely talented, skilful in fields of art, politics and commerce, knowledgeable and scholarly owing to her voracious penchant to reading.

Despite being a supremo to the world outside her, she probably was a loner from inside. In the loss of her father at 2 years, mother at 22 years and absence of a close family, she was in dire need of a companion to share her joy and miseries, to spend a life of a simple girl fulfilling her smaller desires or cravings and that’s how probably Sasikala became her confidante. This is where I was surprised how a wise person like Jayalalitha chose a benighted Sasikala as her close friend. My obtuse presumptions about people with like mind possibly tend to become allies was not all correct in this case of two friends. Although I tried not being judgemental, when I heard two of her (Sasikala) speeches owing to the recent developments in the state there was an utter lack of clarity, oration, diction and relevance to subject apparently leaving me in despair how a person of this stature could possible become the next ruling leader of a state (keeping aside her share of unscrupulous criminal allegations and the hypothetical conspiracy theories about her association in Jayalalitha’s uncanny death).

Evidences point out that Sasikala and her so called Mannarkudi clan were ostracized and banished by Jayalalitha from her residence Veda Illam twice due to betrayal, she benevolently welcomed Sasikala back to her home after the latter issued a heart-melting apology letter to her. Is this the true Jayalalitha, a person known for reacting out of vengeance has turned all this forgiving types? Or is she a person who could probably fall an easy prey to flattery and adulation? Although she appears as an austere and a smart tough master outwardly, probably from inside she seems to be extremely sensitive, emotional and vulnerable.

This could be quite a personal affair between Jayalaitha and Sasikala but this emotional strings attached between these two ladies who called each other their soul-mates certainly strikes the curiosity cord of a large public who had been watching their enigmatic relationship. These inexplicable secrets will be forever buried in the heart of her living friend and in her graves.

And finally to address today’s crisis if only had Jayalalitha identified her suitable political successor/second-in-line ( technically which she never wanted to) while she was around, all this apocalypse in the state could have been warded off and probably her soul-mate (Sasikala) who is aspiring to take charge of her departed friend’s throne (claiming to have her right to rule owing to their 33 years long friendship) would have been posed with lesser challenges and indebted for the rest of her life!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    vaidehi71 likes this.

2. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

Friends! check out my new snippet-
    The Tale Of A Friendship – An Unsolvable Conundrum

Looking forward towards your interesting feedback/comments !

Cheers,
    Bhargavi

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi
    Born five years before the Country became independent I have witnessed some extremely decent political personae. Scholarly presidents like Rajendra Prasad and S.Radhakrishnan who captured our hearts with extraordinary knowledge and vision as well as their extreme detachment; Premiers like Nehru and Chief Ministers like Rajaji who were extremely honest and self-conscious. What a fall I have witnessed in the political scenario in my own life time! I find it demeaning even to hear of all the nasty politicking which revolves around the shameless desire to cling on to power at any cost while posing as saviours of the nation.
    I wish to have nothing to do with all the nasty power struggle presently being witnessed.
    Sri

4. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi,

Sorry for my delayed response to this interesting snippet.
    I just observed one thing - people who are so successful and are at the top, at times yearn for just being themselves, not carrying that heavy burden of expectation. Add loneliness to that, you see whats happening today. If only Jayalalitha named her successor as you said, things could have been better, yes. But now, with Sasikala running towards the CM chair, we can witness one of the two things if she gets there - Some MLAs will change sides soon, causing her government to fail, forcing an election sooner or, if she rules with an iron fist just like her friend did [and learns on the job], may be she can survive.

Nevertheless, she complicated her life because of her own choices and Jayalalitha was never interested in her to be in politics, you know! -rgs

vaidehi71 and Bhargavi03 like this.
  5. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

You are absolutely right sir about these eminent scholars and such learned people of your era whose unbiased and honest ruling you had witnessed. I must say that you were blessed and I envy you a little because me having born 37 years after independence, belonging to the so called generation of millennials have only read about such great leaders on books and ironically ruled currently by these bunch of imbecile, corrupt politicians fighting for power and position, the country which was once ruled by such dignified people, and now we ordinary youngsters and common people are shunned under this darkness helplessly hoping for some perfect idol/Savior to rescue us.

6. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

That's very true!