1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The strange aspect of jealousy

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 22, 2007.

1. PriyaKat

PriyaKat Silver IL'ite

Jealousy, Envy, who can escape those. Even an saint will get envious if someone says " the other saint is saintlier than you".
    I dont know if we can say outright that we dont feel jealous of someone unrelated to us. we do. Do we not see how people write or talk about some person who has amassed wealth, or won some great award or achieved something ? Detractors materialise from nowhere and try to muddy their names in some way or the other. Thats becuse they cannot stomach the other person's good fortune . And they rejoice at their fall. Though there is not a single paisa worth of use in it for themselves.
    Envy, if channelised properly, can spur healthy competition .

Last weekend,I watched the Movie Aadukalam on TV. A fine drama played out on the theme of jealousy and wounded ego .

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya
    What a lethal combination jealousy and wounded ego is! And when our ego is punctured by someone whose sudden rise is causing us great anguish, it is surely bound to be a killer as we saw in that great movie that you have mentioned.

I do not know if envy can spur healthy competition or not, it spurs many to buy Onida TV! I agree with what you say about the effect of jealousy of unrelated people but I am just of the view that it can be far more intense if it is someone close to us.
    Sri

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir
    When I saw this title on the sidebar I just could not believe the coincidence!
    I was in fact writing about the same thing - I really thank the Lord for bringing this to my notice for I would have looked silly posting a same topic. Further you would have called it plaigiarism, because even the Bill Gates example was the same!!!

Last week, when my younger son was home, during one of our discussions my son was telling about the possiblity of becoming jealous of a friend who was planning to major in finance - and that is the money making job currently in US.
    It was then my husband asked my son if was jealous of Bill Gates! When my son said no, my husband told him how we become jealous of only those we know, but really don't care about people we don't know. He went on to give some fatherly advice.
    I was thinking how true it is...perhaps that is the reason for many a family dispute. Many problems among friends, who a few years ago did not even know each other existed!
    You have written all that I wanted to write sir and many years ago too!
    I can only feel happy tht you beat me to it..for I would not have handled this subject the way you did! Simply marvelous write up. I can only quip that "great minds think alike"!! Would you agree sir? :)

sindmani likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I somehow carry an impression that jealousy and greed are twin brothers. Let us assume that there are two brothers who are equally educated in two different fields. One chooses the path of working in a familiar environment, sticks with one job and did not bother much about financial stability or career growth. Another chooses the path of moving from one environment to another, keeps moving from job to job and focuses on financial stability and significant career growth. They both get married and have children. The second one is financially much stronger than the other. The jealousy dominates the first family and in order to make up for what they have lost in financial stability, they want to get the parents' property for themselves without giving it to the second family. The jealousy turns greed like a flip of a switch.

Viswa

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear, dear Kamala
    How nice to see you in my forum after a long time! Honestly, you should have posted your thread despite sounding similar to mine. Your perspectives would have certainly added greater sheen to this well known phenomenon. Great minds do think alike! I certainly agree there or otherwise how can I prove I have one? How can two people thinking alike be termed as plagiarism merely because there is a time gap in their thinking?

Jealousy becomes more prominent as the proximity gets greater. This is an undisputed fact at least in my case! This is the root cause of many a domestic problem as you have rightly observed. I really wish you had analysed it at greater length in a new thread.
    Sri