1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The story of the five fingers

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radha
    There is a temple for Lord Subramanya at Swami Malai near Kumbakonam. The legend has it that He sat on His Father Siva’s lap and taught Him the meaning of Pranava. A child teaching the elders is nothing new! In fact, it makes the parents proud too. I am even prouder when my granddaughter tells me such stories!

You are right about the strong bond between the grandparents and the grandchildren. Those days too the bond was as strong but it was never openly flaunted as now. Probably they were obsessed with 'dhrishti' being cast on the children by the outsiders! My granddaughter is my best companion now and she shares with me her daily life on a minute to minute basis!
    Sri

2. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

Cheeniya Sir,

Awesome information!!!!!! I tell the story to my kids in a different way....to explain to them big and small must exist in harmony for proper functioning.... this has given a new view.
    Each and everyone has a purpose... if we take a few seconds and think each one of us can recall an instant where we have played an important role.This is a very nice way of teaching kids to be confident and feel good about themselves.

Regards,
    Viji

3. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    "if each one of us can recall an instance where we have played an important role" A commendable way to enhance our self confidence indeed! But let's go a step further. Let us learn to quit thinking that we are a mere cog in the wheel. Every cog is important and even if one becomes dysfunctional, the wheel stops. This thought should make every cog feel not only important but highly responsible too.
    Sri

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Every time I read one of your postings, I feel that the one I just read is better than the one I read before. This one is extraordinary. What a ride from a story about the fingers heard by you from your grand daughter to your wisdom of how everyone created in this world are important to deliver their respective role and they should not be measured by the important position they hold.

A person is important or not is very subjective and it is originated in the mind of someone. If we lift that veil, every being is created equal. The world will cease to exist if we do not have the diversity that we all experience every day. Outer shell is different but the core is one. We need to see that unity in the diversity of personalities. The collective actions of everyone is what makes the world vibrant. I only have right to determine how I can do my role better and I am no one to judge the role played by others. I get motivated by my inner desires to excel in what I do, and so is everyone else.

I like all five fingers the way it is and if they were identical, they would never get noticed. I am happy however small I am and I am also happy about the way others are.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Very good story from your GD...thought provoking and made you write a snippet.

Everyone is needed, I don't want to use the word important, because the definition of "Important" is debatable. World is beautiful with everything, small and big.Even our life is full of small decisions we take from morning to evening on any given day. How many big decisions we take in life....not as many as small ones.

I read a quote on fingers in my mail box, slightly different version about fingers....may or may not be relevant....

"Not all fingers are same in length, but when they bend all stand equal...life becomes easy when we bend and adjust to all situations when we are needed to do that."

Syamala

6. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    Thank you for your laudatory words of appreciation for this Rambling of mine.
    Most of us do not understand that the roles of Gods in our scriptures are allegorical and not real. It is this flaw in our view of the Divine that causes us to fight for the supremacy of our own gods over the others'. We see in our movies our gods vested with all the human traits only. We find that the goddesses of wealth, knowledge and bravery fighting it out to determine who is the most powerful of them using the humans as their pawns. We see them as possessive as humans. If our gods have two wives, there is a war between them to determine who their Lord loves more! In short, we superimpose our gods with our own traits. We invest God with the same imperfections as we have ourselves.

It is this perception that makes us believe that God has created this beautiful planet for our exclusive use and others have no reason to be here. We find it hard to believe that the stray dog running across the road has been created with a purpose, a purpose as valid and strong as for which we have been created. We find the argument that there is a purpose behind every creation as highly untenable. It is in this context, I love this story of my grand daughter.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Syamala
    In a pure symbiotic relationship, the question of importance does not arise at all. I fully agree with your reluctance to use the word 'Important' The proverb that for want of a nail, the shoe was lost stresses on this aspect forcefully. We all have our slotted place in the grand scheme of things and our purpose is known only to our Creator. All we can do is to try and understand our purpose and even if it is not possible, we must put our faith in it.
    Sri

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

A thought provoking write up very well said and glad to know that it was told by your grand daughter . I read the fbs too and saw your cute grand daughter also in the photo taken by Chitvish. Its true like the fingers each one is important and we can learn from each one different things. I have always heard grandfathers telling stories to their grand children, here how nice it is to hear from a grandchild and we are lucky to hear it from you. My hugs and kisses to your cute and sweet granddaughter

Here I want to mention one thing. In my hand all the fingers are correct. But in both my legs the last finger is the fourth finger instead of the fifth finger. I think God while making me was busy doing something so forgot to keep the last finger last:)

9. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    Now I am in serious confusion. If the fourth finger is the last finger, why do you say 'instead of fifth finger'? Does the last finger have to be necessarily the fifth? Which finger is actually missing? Fourth or fifth? Merely because every one has five fingers in each foot, we cannot assume that the missing one is the fifth. It could be the fourth that is missing and the fifth is in its rightful place. I have become very pensive now!

Incidentally, in one of the movies starring Dhanush and Chaaya Singh, we were told that if a woman had the second finger longer than the toe, it would be better to avoid her as she was certainly bound to be extremely bossy. I must verify this with some couples of IL!
    Sri

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for confusing you my dear Anna . I have all five fingers except that the fourth finger is small and the last finger is big. Hope you understood now. About the second finger longer the toe you are correct, I have also heard that the woman having the second finger longer than the toe will be bossy. Now a days I think I am confusing you more