1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Sound of Silence

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Sound of Silence

There is so much noise at times, it is unbearable. During the Diwali time and Shivratri, there is a temple opposite me, they play devotional songs during those days. At times they play for a week, over the loudspeaker, at full blast, all through the night, which disturbs and irritates no end.

At 3 or 4 in the morning, I go and request them to slow down the volume, they do so, but as soon as I am back, they put it back on loudly. And during the Ganesh Visarjan time in Mumbai, where loud music is played, it can be hard for people who want to have peace, and u cant even tell the organizers to lower the volume, what does one do.

Even if u close the windows and on the AC, the sound still comes in, and u want to kill the organizers, who are a law unto themselves these days,.

For long , rather decades I have this idea of earplugs to solve this problem. WE do have earplugs the external ones, where u can play loud music and drown out the outside noise, sure, but I have something more sophisticated in mind.

The earplugs can be fitted insde yr ears, I mean removable ones, so they are not visible to others. And u have a chip inside, which can record for an hour or two whatever songs u like, or anything to your taste.

And it is operated with a small remote which u can keep in yr ipper shirt pocket. So if u want to drown out the outside noises, just press the button A, and the earplugs close, with no sound coming in at all.

You press button B, and yr music starts, and u can go to sleep with them, for they are inside yr ear, and very comfortable too, they snugly fit in .

And look at this scenario. Imagine the scene between the MIL shouting at the DIL, for some reason. The DIL does nto want to get into an argument , for if she hears what the MIL is saying she will get angry and give back good and proper, but now she is not in the mood to fight.

There is no remote made or can bemade to shut up the other person, so u press the mute and the person becomes quiet, as does a TV for example, but surely we can have this remote, which can close your own ears, without the knowledge of the other person.

And just as we have tooth caps, coloured to make it look real, we can have these made to order acc to the colour of ur ears and its surrounding skin, so they are not visible to the naked eye.And they should eb comfortable, that u can wear them 24 hours on, and be comfy in them, as we have the artificial tooth, and we get used to it.!!!

So she presses the remote, and the earplugs close, and she puts on the music too, and now all that she sees is her MIL and her expressions, eyes large and wide, and yelling away, just the movement of the lips, and she finds it so funny , that she has to stop herself from smiling. And the best part is MIL does not know that the DIL is not listening to her.

This averts a potential fight, and both are happy, the MIL for she is happy she gave a good one to her DIL, and the DIL for she avoided a fight.

And it can be good for traveling, if u are at an international airport, and have some time to while away snoozing for a couple of hours, it is very noisy out there, u can just close the plugs and go off to sleep setting the alarm on yr mobile to wake u in time for the flight.

I am sure every person on this earth can buy this, and will be sold in billions, and at even 10 cents to a piece as royalty, I am sure the inventor will become a billionaire in dolor terms for sure.

And it would be a boon to mankind, for if u don’t hear angry remarks, u will remain cool, it will maintain yr Blood pressure at normal levels, the MIL and DIL will remain good friends, the poor husband will be happy, all for this small earplug.

Don’t we all yearn for silence, when at times u are immersed in yr thoughts and want to clear yr mind, I remember that movie Shor, of Manoj Kumar of the seventies, which had the same topic. There are times, u just want to be left alone, to be in yr own thoughts, and so this device can be a boon to everyone.

What say friends ? You think it can work, in real life, or I am living in a fool’s paradise ?

KAMAL MAHTANI

Blessed is that person
    Who is too busy to worry in the daytime,
    And too sleepy at night to worry !!!

Don’t break Anyone’s heart
    They have just one !!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, recently there was a news report that investors in the US are willing to ensure you get a visa to go there provided you have a great idea in which they can put their money. Your earplug is just that idea. Try selling it to some such American investor.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

kamalji,

as usual, one more of your inimitable ideas :thumbsup. excellent remedy for the problems of the world. as they say "silence is golden". so sure the designer/manufacturer should really strike gold for the silence he provides everyone. and as you said so many problems would be averted.

for a start we could turn them on each time our netas start out to give one more of their bhashans.:idea

i would use to plug out the stupid excuses given to me by my maids for their inefficiency and french leave :rant. i hate lies.

i would surely buy one pair for every member of my family. so you could rest assured - i would gladly contribute to your millions.:cheers

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji...
    Great Idea... do let me know when you are handing out free samples for testing!!!
    K

5. namrathamorab

namrathamorab Gold IL'ite

Hi Kamalji..:hiya
    The innovative modulated ear-plug sounds like an invention thats most sought for. Seriously its uses are innumerable! Be it with the MIL, the DIL, the BOSS, the uninvited people.. so on and so forth. Do ensure you get a patent on the idea. :) :thumbsup
    And as far as the "Sound of Silence" is concerned I love that...
    Just such a quiet place and you can hear he clock going tick-tick-tick...
    Calm shore negate the noisy people and all that you hear are the sounds of the shore..
    Absolutely beautiful rains and in the calmness you hear the water go dip-tip-dip-tip...
    The dawn accompanied with nothing else but just the birds chirping..
    Really wish we could find such soul-touching feelings in this concrete jungle today where everyone is at their fastest speed to live..but what is life without these little beautiful things I wonder!!!.

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Oh kamalji I just love the sound of silence. :) So you go ahead with that idea and you will have many buyers here, I assure you. but actually I liked the other one better … a remote that can mute any body talking …:rotfl:rotfl but I have been toying with that idea for a long time now, so you have to give me the credit, okay? hahaha

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

patent ithe idea Kamlaji, patent it first :thumbsup At the cost of sounding awful and phoren, I do have to confess that the first adjustment I have to make in India as soon as I land is the noise :hide: - it takes me about a week and then I am very easily one among everyone else. You cannot blame me sir, I have lived here for more than 12years and very in tune with sounds of nature you see! Yes, noise pollution has to be brought down, for that the mind set has to change and I guess it is one step at a time as long as those steps are being taken, either by people or by individuals like "endhiran" (RajniKanth in Robot) :)

8. thoshe

thoshe New IL'ite

kamljii :thumbsup great idea

9. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

If you happen to be in Madurai, the first sign you would get is a blare from a speaker, which swallows even the hoot of a diesel engine pulling a train. We have learnt to be in silence...and the equation me and my wife has no speech, mouna vrat, then atleast fights dont take place.

Second, I am prompted to listen to Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence...

Hello darkness, my old friend
    I've come to talk with you again
    Because a vision softly creeping
    Left its seeds while I was sleeping
    And the vision that was planted in my brain
    Still remains
    Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
    Narrow streets of cobblestone
    'Neath the halo of a street lamp
    I turned my collar to the cold and damp
    When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
    That split the night
    And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
    Ten thousand people, maybe more
    People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening
    People writing songs that voices never share
    And no one dared
    Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools", said I, "You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you"
    But my words, like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed
    In the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
    To the neon god they made
    And the sign flashed out its warning
    In the words that it was forming
    And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
    And tenement halls"
    And whispered in the sounds of silence

10. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

//This averts a potential fight, and both are happy, the MIL for she is happy she gave a good one to her DIL, and the DIL for she avoided a fight//:biglaugh:biglaugh
    What an idea Sirji:bowdown:rotflKamaljiiiii