The Solar System – Belts, Tails, Showers – Part 1

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kkrish, Apr 1, 2019.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your lovely words @Afresh .
    I love such compliments,:banana: so keep them coming; will take them all.
    You truly think I am intelligent? Then I must be doing a pretty good job of pretending. :partyhat:

My intention is to provide only facts about space in my articles and stay away from commenting on contradicting viewpoints, differing policies, and political events.

That said, I will certainly present what all this is about, in as simple terms as possible and let the readers form their own opinion. This will be a new thread because it is not related to asteroids.

You mentioned my time management efficiency.:D I have allotted only twenty minutes (10 minutes in the am and 10 minutes in the pm) a day as personal internet time. Therefore it will be this evening or tomorrow (US time) before you see my post.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why Afresh alone? A whole lot of us think so too. And not falsely but TRULY!

Thyagarajan, kkrish and Afresh like this.
  4. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

You inspire :).. Will wait!

Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya Sir.
    First let me say "Thank you for the wonderful compliment" Sir.:worship2:

However, now I feel it looks like I was fishing for compliments:facepalm:.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Done. posted a new thread. Hope it helps. Please ask questions. They help me.
    Space Debris

Afresh and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: A must emerge winning post of April 2019.
    Tremendously painstakingly picturesque blog making explaining complex integration of planets in solar system to IL’tes.
    2. Looking forward to remain high over North Pole and look at spinning planets. Once gone into space vicariously with you but “above-below - East-West-North-south” turns meaningless. I am unable to say for sure - they the comets , in between rocks in asteroid belt, revolves about themselves, around the sun, clockwise or anti clockwise, the lateral position to axis of spin. Mind BOGGLING blogging topology!
    Thanks for making us appreciate The Great Designer’s strategic placement of planets, moons, comets all in perpetual motion supplying energy for eternities.
    Regards.
    God was considered to be by majority above in Heaven; but HE surrounds ALL HIS CREATIONS.
    But from where He got all resources or sourced?,?,?,!! God alone knows!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    kkrish and satchitananda like this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hey Kamala, that is a very interesting bit of information. Of course, like others said, I assimilated some bits, some I need to read again to understand and keep in the bony box. Amazing. Can never stop being amazed at the mind boggling miracles of Nature.

kkrish likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Thyagarajan Sir.
    I too am never tired of taking in the awesome creation. It was only after I started reading about the cosmos am I able to understand the concept of "Shivam" and "Shakti" - the Universe and the Energy - both together.
    The resources are all energy, and only energy sir - you and I, and the plants, trees, planets and stars - everything is Energy.

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  10. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I learnt (and appreciated) science much later in life, so I have vivid pinpoints (compared to foregone childhood learning) on when exactly I claimed the epiphany. Mere ko yeh school mein pata nahi. One such epiphany was the consideration of Lagrangian Points few years back.

Back then when I learnt about LPs, that there are 5 Lagrangian Points, I was puzzled why would any asteroid prefer the L4 and L5 points over the rest.

As Latin poet Virgil captured in “Felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas” in his work "Georgics" insinuating the Roman thinker Lucretius that “Fortunate/Happy who was able to know the causes of things”. Happy are the ones who delve into the causes of the facts. (*this quote was referred by Clifton Fadiman in the book 'The lifetime reading plan')

So just to stimulate that happiness, in the context of asteroids, and in the spirit of both Feynman and Virgil who both endorsed happiness on extracting the reasons behind the facts, here's a nice summary to complement the original writing on why L1, L2, L3 are unpopular (as in: unstable) over L4, L5 in natural orbits. The man-made satellites in L1-L3 orbits could possibly drift from perturbations in the absence of active nudges (via manual corrections) whereas the L4, L5 orbits are naturally stable.

Hence the "greek" and "trojan" asteroids orbit in L4 and L5 points.

Usually, overwhelmed when something deeper and finer washes over me, jeez! mere ko yeh kisi ne school mein nahi bataya, the beautiful and scientifically reasonable landscape of the celestial rock and glitter. My intent to provide a further reference on Lagrangian Point is to emphasize that even the mundane fact has significant interpretation to make us happy having known the reason behind it.

*: Another of my habit to cite where and how I have come across these references just to assure that I am not making it all up.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    kkrish likes this.