The significance of Naivedyam

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

It is customary for the Hindus to place daily food preparations before the deities and offer to God. This is called Naivedyam. We do this with dedication and thereafter the food is called prasada.
    This is our Hindu way of saying “ thankyou “, to the Lord who gives us our daily food.
    Learned people recite the following Gita verses while having meals so that this activity may be changed into sacrifice. This reminds us that food is not merely intended to appease our taste. Thinking of God before taking food makes it a spiritual act. This act also purifies the food.

Brahmarpanam brahma havir brahmaagnou brahmanaayutham
    Brahmaiva taena gantavyam brahma karma samaadhina ( 4.24)
    The ladle is God , the oblation is God, it is offered by God in the fire, which is God.
    God shall be attained by him who is absorbed in God as the act of such sacrifice.
    மூலப் பொருள்களுக்கு மூலம் தந்த பொருளை படைத்து, எல்லாம் அந்த மூலவனின் செயலே என்று அமைதியடைந்தால், அந்த மூலவனை அடையலாம்.

Here it is explained how food is digested through the gastric fire.

Aham vais(h)vaanaro bhoothvaa praaninaam daehamaas(h)rithah
    Praanaapaana samaayukthah pachaamyannam chathurvidham (15.14)
    Becoming the fire of life in the bodies of living creatures and united with Prana (ingoing) and Apana (outgoing) breaths, I digest the four kinds of food. The four kinds of food are
    1 – that which is chewed by teeth – rice, vegetables etc
    2 – that which is swallowed – milk etc
    3 – that which is sucked – mango, sugar cane. The immovable beings such as trees etc receive food this way.
    4 – That which is licked – honey etc.
    நான் நெருப்பாக இருந்து, ஜீவராசிகளின் உடம்பில் அமர்ந்து, உள்மூச்சு வெளிமூச்சு இவற்றின் துணை கொண்டு நான்கு விதமான உணர்வுகளையும் ஜீரணம் செய்ய வைக்கிறேன். (நான்கு
    விதமான உணர்வுகள் - 1-பற்களால் கடிப்பவை 2-கடிக்காமல் விழுங்குபவை 3- நாவால் சுவைப்பவை 4-வாயால் உறிஞ்சுபவை)

We sprinkle water on the food, place a tulasi leaf and chant

Om bhoorbhuvassuvah amrutho(u)pasvaranamasi
    Pranaya svaha apanaya svaha vyanaya svaha
    Udanaya svaha samanaya svaha brahmane svaha
    The three worlds are pervaded by the Lord, the creator.
    I offer this to prana (respiratory system)
    I offer this to apana (excretory system)
    I offer this to vyana (circulatory system)
    I offer this to udana (reversal system)
    I offer this to samana (digestive system)
    So, we offer food to the Lord, the life force who is within us as the five physiological functions.
    Chanting the above, we offer food at the feet of the Lord. Since we offer food to god, we know it is pure and best.

To sum up, anything offered to Lord with love becomes naivedyam.

Pathram pushpam phalam thoyam yo mae bhakthyaa prayachchathi
    Thadaham bhakthyupahruthamas(h)naami prayathaathmanah (9.26)
    Whoever offers me with devotion a leaf, a flower, a fruit or even water, I accept the pious offering offered by him with love.
    நீ எனக்கு ஒரு இலையைக் கொடு; அல்லது பூவைக் கொடு; இல்லை ஒரு பழத்தைக் கொடு; அதுவும் இல்லை கொஞ்சம் தண்ணீர் கொடு; எதைக் கொடுத்தாலும் பக்தியோடு கொடு; சுத்தமான மனம் உள்ளவன் பக்தியோடு கொடுப்பதை நான் சாப்பிடுகிறேன்.

Next week, we will see Prasadam.

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Brhmarpanam Bramha havir....

Wonderful Chitra!

A very enlightening explanation about Niavedyam. The slokas you quoated here and their meanings were very touching. As you explain our culture to us, step by step, the depth of our culture and the richness of our religion seems to really sink in and I am amazed how thought provoking, how thoughtful...our religion is. Just a few lines of a couple of slokas seem to encompass all aspects of our food intake and its absorption and at once makes it worthwhile as it equates to an act of God and worship.
    The second and the third slokas..."Aham vaishvaanaro and Om bhurbhuvassuvah"...where have they been quoated from? Please let me know.
    Your Tamil additions add more charm to your explanations. I am thankful that I can read and understand it. I see that there is a lot of sprinkling of Tamil these days in your posts. I get it, you are enjoying the new found font!
    Anyways, your ability to express beautifully in two languages is making your posts and write ups just as tasteful as your recipes:)

L, Kamla

3. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Wonderful Post !

Dear Chitra,

Your post is so good with all those slokas and meaning...! This time you have touched a topic which is so dear to me. Neivedhyam. I feel that personal closeness with god whenever I make neiveidyam for him and offer it to him. It gives me enoromous satisfaction. Everyday I keep Kalkandu to god as Neivedhyam.

I will learn the slokas that are chanted while keeping neivedhyam and will chant it while offering neiveidhyam hereafter.

Thanks for the wonderful posting !

Love,
    Preethi

4. Chitvish

My dear Sujata !

As usual, a "word-perfect" feed back from you.
    As I start writing more & more topics for this thread, I am awed by the depth of every small action, in our religion.
    I have always loved to express myself in tamil. Coming from Madurai, famous for Sanga thamizh, I cannot be otherwise. I thought the beauty of the meaning is best expressed in both the languages.
    Ahan Vaishvanaro is from the Gita. The other, I know for ages, but do not know the source.
    Thanks for your prompt F B, Sujata.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

My dear Preethi !

As usual, you are the personification of your loving name.
    Besides kalkandu, as soon as you finish cooking & definitely before tasting it ( if you have that habit), just say "Krishnarpanam". This is the easiest form of naivedyam.
    Thanks for your nice ffed back, Preethi.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Will follow from now on...

Surely will follow what you said chitra...

While cooking, before tasting the dish (for Puli, uppu, karam ) will say "Krishnarpanam"and put that dish into my mouth for tasting.

Love,
    Preethi

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Beautiful Explanation

Dear MsC.

What can isay? Beautiful explanation as usual. I know the third slokam well, but the first two reading it for the first time only today. The Ahan Vaishvanaro stotram is so nice. I will have to include this in my prayers now.

Vandhana

8. Chitvish

My dear Vandana !

A beautiful F B as usual, my friend.
    I too was chanting only the last one. The other two are Gita class influence !
    Thankyou, Vandhana.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

brahmaarpanam

Dear chith,
    I just read the amazingly ressive simple post on neivedyam.When you awrite in tamil it touches our hearts. Every post of yours takes us to glorious heights and reveals how great and perfect our culture is.I am so overwhelmed that I have no words to write more. The slokas quoted are very apt,
    Thank you for the delightl
    Regards,
    Meenu

10. Chitvish

Your caption is......

just perfect, Meenu !
    I just enjoy writing these topics, as much as you enjoy reading them !
    Tamil, as our moth tongue does hold a special place in our hearts, hencethe pleasure !
    Thankyou for the F B, Meenu.
    Love & regards,
    chithra.