1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Risk - A Sequel To Warning Bells

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Nov 24, 2006.

1. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

The short story risk gave an enjoyable reading during this weekend. The emotions of the “want to be young” middle aged lady have been poured out well through out the story. Why do the magazines refuse these kinds of stories to be published? By rejecting it, some good messages do not reach our society.
    Vara’s husband made me little surprised. I have an extremely different experience in life. My hus always compels me to do everything myself, wants me not to depend any one for any thing. I usually flee from his suggestions to take a DL here, as I do not feel comfortable with it.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Chitra!

Dear Chitra,
    I know you would like the story.
    Actually I wanted to highlight the very concept of risk in the setting of a family. We do a lot of professional risk assessments when we submit Project Reports.

The first time I got a taste of this concept was when a banker raised a question to me while scrutinising a project report prepared by me.
    "Sridhar, just hike the raw material cost by 5% and let the sales price be the same. Prepare another set of projections."

The project which looked rosy at the first glance now lost all its glamour and looked like a cabaret dancer in her late fifties.
    That's when I got interested in the concept of risk. Maybe one day I will post a detailed thread on risks alone.

Many husbands (I only sincerely hope that Indhu does not include me in that list) think that their wives are not capable of doing anything. Moreover it is a typical male's psyche to resist whatever the wife does, especially if they are above fifty. (I may not know that for another 22 years. But I have read in books, ha ha ha) And then good husbands do turn around and see their wife's point of view. (Indhu, I think I belong at least to this category)

I am sure few ladies would have had dry eyes while reading about the husband's unequivocal support to his wife at the most wanted time.

I particularly relished this sentence:

There are a few DILs ( Please, I am not generalising) who wait to pass a remark at the drop of a hat, if it concerns the MIL.

But very honesty Chitra, it does not go any distance as a DIL would write,

There are a few MILs ( Please, I am not generalising) who wait to pass a remark at the drop of a hat, if it concerns the DIL.

So while discussing risks dont drag me into a very risky situation of MIL vs DIL. So let's leave it at that.

And on behalf of thousands of DILs including my wife, please permit me to defend them in this argument also:

"They may be H R managers in offices, but they fail miserably in domestic H R, because of preconceived notions. We, MILs have not done courses in H R, but are practically good at it."

I would rather venture to say (all mother in laws including my own mother and my dear friend, Chitra, please forgive me if you genuinely think I am wrong) on behalf of DILs,

"MILs may be HR managers in offices but they fail miserably in domestic HR because of preconceived notions. DILs might not have done courses in HR but are practically good at it."

In any argument like this there is no end. As we have already come to a very intelligent conclusion that there are good MILs and bad DILs in the same way there are good DILs and bad MILs.

In this particular story I have projected a good mil and a bad dil. I have also written stories about bad mils and good dils. (Otherwise இந்து என் முதுகுல டின் கட்டிருவா)

Thanks for the wonderful reply. It was nice to read about your motto which explains all your accomplishments.

regards,
    sridhar

3. varalotti

Thanks Vandhana!

Dear Vandhana,

I am happy you found the story good. I am happier still and proud of you that instead of identifying with the dil you have identified with the mil and want her to be your role model.

For me also getting to Vara's age is equally looooooooooooooooooooooooong time away. A solid 22 years at the last reckoning.

So I would be the same age as you are when you attain Vara's age. Will have the pleasure of seeing how you will meet life at that time. ha ha ha ha.

thanks once again,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Thats the greatest reward for a writer, Meenu!

Dear Meenu,
    They say that words that do not affect you at all belong to the third category. Words that move you to weep or laugh belong to the second. But words that move you to a positive action belong to the first.
    I am happy you elevated my words to the first category with your decision to go ahead with a job. I wish you all the best.
    I have heard couples say that second honeymoon will always be sweeter than the first.
    In the same way the second career would be more rewarding than the first.
    Best of luck,
    regards,
    sridhar

5. varalotti

I am happy, Safa!

Dear Seena,
    I am very happy you enjoyed this simple story. I like this story very much. That is why I retained it in my system and now it seems that the Most Beneficient wanted this story to be enjoyed only by the gracious ladies of IL.
    To have a husband like that is a gift and blessing, Seena. Many are the women who yearn for an husband with such an attitude.
    But don't do anything which you not comfortable with.
    Thanks Seena,
    sridhar

6. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. You have clearly brought out the fact that age should not be a factor in fulfilling your dreams. I loved the character 'Vara' for all her will power, enthusiasm, and determination. This shows that I still have hopes to fulfill all my dreams, and I do have a very supportive hubby in that matter. I like the fact that 'Vara's' hubby was so supportive when she needed the most.
    Love,
    PS. Chitra those few lines of yours were superb!!!!!

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Sridhar !

Being a close friend of Indhu, I do not want to give an honest reply to your comments about Indhu - I know her now like the palm of my hand !! Initially I was thinking Indhu is very lucky - but now, can't help saying - my thoughts are going in the reverse direction !!!!

இந்து என் முதுகுல டின் கட்டிருவா

இது உங்களிடம் நடக்கிற காரியமா ஸார் ?

மனதைத் தொட்டு சொல்லுங்கோ ?!

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. varalotti

Thanks Faultless One!

Dear Faultless One,
    I am happy to see that you liked the story. In fact left to myself I would define ageing as a process which occurs when you lose enthusiasm, will power and determination.
    I see many retired men who tell their sons, "Sonny, you read the newspaper first. You see I am retired. I can read it any time."
    That is a kind of inferiority complex.
    I read about this incident in a Tamil newspaper.
    So many people were waiting to see a busy Doctor. The compounder gave preference to a young man over a seventyish man in the queue.

The old man got hurt and asked him why. The compounder answered, that the young man is in a hurry and has to go somewhere. Whereas you are retired and you have all the time. You can wait.

To which the old man replied, You are thoroughly mistaken. It is the other way round. The young man has got a lot of time to live. Whereas my days are numbered and I have a lot to do before I say goodbye to this life.

If you or your Doctor do not understand this I would rather go to a Doctor who has the sense to understand my hurry.
    With this the old man majestically walked out of the clinic.
    Coming to supportive hubbys, Madam, I have a point which I think I can boldly make it out in this forum.
    Most of the hubbies are supportive. But very few women like you, Vara etc. are gifted with the powers to recognise that.
    I could see some ILites rushing to me with their vaccuum cleaners (for who uses brooms these days?)
    Thanks Anjana,

Love,
    Varalotti

9. varalotti

என் பதில்....

அன்புள்ள சித்ரா,
    உங்கள் வார்த்தைகளுக்கு என் பதில் மௌனம் தான்.

வரலொட்டி

10. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

nice story !

Dear Sridhar,
    U've brought out the emotions of the 50 year old lady beau.......tifully ! Good work! I admit the fact that there are good MILS & bad DILS ...in the same way bad MILS &good DILS - yet .....DILS are suffering more than MILS ( i m talking in general , ok ? ) ....
    The end of the story ( eventhough it was cinematic !) was enjoyable !
    Happy that u r appreciated by many of the women in our indusladies forum eventhough ur story was rejected by many magazines . ( we could find out their high.....taste through this ...right ? ! ! )
    Let me see how many of the Ilites accept with my opinion - regarding DILS ........
    With love,
    Indhu.