1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Other Side of Me - Sidney's yet another Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Preethi, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Dear IndusLadies,

I had just finished reading the Autobiography of Sidney Sheldon known as "The Other Side of Me". The book has all interesting elements as that of any novel of Sidney, right from suspence, suprise, commedy and tragedy. I loved this book of Sidney as much as I had loved any of his work excellence like "Sands of Time", "Blood Line" etc...

While going through the life of Sidney, I realised how difficult it is for a person to establish himself in the hollywood. Hollywood that looks so beautiful and lucrative from outside in full of struggle, hatred and politics inside ! Sidney has beautifully described his sufferings as a writer and his struggle to climb up the ladder of success in the highly competitive celluloid industry ! He has ripped the mask of happiness that every person in the hollywood wear, to reveal the true sufferings and agonies of people to make a living and to establish an identity for themselves, however trivial it is, in the Industry of fame.

The reason I was attracted to the autobiography of this great novelist was one anecdote of his life (abstract from some site), which triggered me to read his entire autiobiography (this is the first time I am reading an autobiography and I was surprised I could enjoy it so much).

At the onset of his adolescence, Sidney felt he is a looser and made an attempt on his life, which he almost succeeded too...If Sidney could think of taking away his life at that tender age, I can only envisage the kind of life he would have been leading to take such an extreme attempt...The great star of today's literary world was living on the brink of poverty in his earlier days of life ! If Sidney had succeeded in his attempt, the world wouldn't have known about some of best literary works that he has produced. Against all odds,the only factor that kept Sidney alive was his writing skills and his dream of becoming a writer. He has worked so hard in his life to achieve his goal, that he has not just established himself as a writer, he had also been a successful producer, director and even an actor (very shortlived though) in the hollywood and has an Oscar to his credit !

To understand the struggles of upcoming artist and to know the true facet of hollywood, "The Other Side of Me" is the best read and a worthy read too. All the great fans of Sidney Sheldon (like me) would surely enjoy this book too. Wouldn't it be more interesting to know about the life of a person whom we like and adore so much ? Sidney has not failed to impress his fans in his autobiography too.

I strongly recommend this book for any book-lovers ! Read Sidney's autobiography in the "Other Side of Me" and enjoy !

Love,
    Preethi

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
    1 person likes this.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Preeti,
    I am a fan of Sidney Sheldon and have read almost all his books. I saw this autobiography in the library but did not take interest, thinking that someboy has written it. After reading your post, I went and borrowed it. I completed it just today.
    It was interesting as his novels are. We get so much insight into his life and also the Broadway and Hollywood. We can know what movies were hits those days. It was amazing to know that he felt suicidal in his younger days and he struggled a lot. There were ups and downs in his life and sometimes it seems that he was just broke.
    I am sure that we Indians may not hae such life experiences as him, or for that matter many Westerners. Our life and culture are so different. We have someone or other to support us when we fall down.
    I enjoyed this book very much. Now I am going to read his novels once again from the start. Please do recommend such goods books and I am sure people like me will welcome it. I thank you for your post.

3. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Am happy !

Dear Varloo,

Am happy that you could get yourself to read Other Side Of Me ! Am sure whoever reads that book will definitely agree how interesting it is !

I have read the entire Sidney Sheldon Collections, including his auto-bio. Since you have said you have read almost all his books, I am not sure what to recommend for you !

I just recently finished another novel of a different author (Irvin Wallace). I shall try and post that book review too in the near future !

Am happy to see folks around enjoying work of Sidney like me...All his novels are worth reading any number of times.

Love,
    Preethi

P.S : I have collected good number of e-novels (PDF Version) of various authors. If its possible, for book lovers like you and many others, we can have a "Novels" forum in this site, where I can make the novels accessible to our users. ! I will check with the website moderators for its feasibility and take actions accordingly in the near future. (or) u can guide on those lines...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Sorry For The Delay, Preethi!

Dear Preethi,

I bought the book soon after reading your review. In fact but for your post, I would have thought that that was another novel of Sheldon. I have read most of his novels and am crazy over his fast-pace writing style.

I finished reading the book two days back. It is okay to right an unputdownable novel. But to bring in the same kind of thrill and pace to an autobiography is remarkable, something which only Sheldon can do.

The incident which affected me most was about a movie directed by Sheldon. Another big shot in the studio (Paramount or Columbia, I don't remember) wanted his name as a producer. The first reviews of the movie were disastrous. So the producer in order to protect his name killed the movie and did not release it. Later when it was released the journals and the people had very nice words to say about the movie. But it was too late. And Sheldon had lost credit for another successful movie.

That reinforced the most valuable lesson I have learnt as a writer. The whole world may reject your work; but you should not reject it yourself. Many of my very good stories have been rejected by many magazines.

Thanks for pointing out the book to me. But for you I would have missed the book.
    regards,
    sridhar

5. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

I am thankful to you Varalotti !

Dear Varalotti,

I have reached pinnacle of happiness to hear from you that you enjoyed the book which was recommended by ME !

Just to think that you have given not only attention but also importance to my review post and have bothered to check that book and read it (not to mention, you have come back with your reviews after reading the book too ), has give me so much of warmth and the feel of being noticed ! I am thankful to you for making me feel soo good...

Varalotti, only a great writer can appreciate the work of another great writer...So, I am not surprised to hear you enjoyed the Book ! :p

My respect for you has increased for one more reason, that you're a fan of Sidney (like me) ! If there is one thing that I am toooooooooo crazy about and I can talk about endlessly and with undying enthusiasm, thats Sidney and his books ! :) (During School, my heartthrob was Jaime Maro - The Protagonist of Sands of Time !!, for almost a month, I carried the hang-over of that character and story in me ! I was finding it difficult to take him out of my mind ! )

Love,
    Preethi

6. lkodha

lkodha New IL'ite

We have the same tastes, Preethi!

Dear Preethi,
    I borrowed this book from a nearby library and was casually glancing at it. But when I started to read the first few pages, I got hooked.
    Varalotti is right. Sydney Sheldon is the only person who can write an unputdownable autobiography.
    I am happy to see you sharing my taste.
    regards,
    Kodha Lakshmi

7. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Am happy Kodha !

Dear Kodha,

Welcome to this site. I think this is our first interaction.

am very much glad to note that you too share similar taste with me. Yah, I think anyone reading sidney books will have the same opinion about him. In fact, my fascinations for novels increased staggeringly after reading his novels.

Just in case, you have not read "Sands of Time" and "Bloodline" from the same author, I strongly recommend those two books to you. They are toooo good and worth reading countless times.

Keep your interaction ongoing at IL...

Love,
    Preethi

8. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Sydney Sheldon is a great author. Actually when i first read ur article halfway ,i thought u are writing about " The other side of Midnight" .So i skipped it. Today only when i saw the word autobiography i read the full article. Really thanks for revealing this one. The main & important factor about the novels is we get inspiration & alternate ways of thinking ,doing etc. from the various plots in these novels. When we read books though it is for entertainment, we should always try to take the points useful to our life.
    " The woods are lovely ,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

you had hit the bull's eye with those highlighted lines. those who struggles a lot when they are tender they seem always to reach the pinnacle or zenith past their prime. numerous examples in literary and other domains. In erstwhile Madras now Tamilnadu Chennai late Mr Vasan editor of weekly magazine said to have gone door to door to sell his book later became successful not only in literary circle but also produced magnum opus CHANDRALEKHA and other good tamil movies.
    2. Ken Follet, Frederick Forsyth, and the most recent teacher turned J K Rowling also risen from humble beginnings.
    thanks and regards.

10. Subhagopinath

Subhagopinath New IL'ite

Hi Friends I am new member to this group. I am a fan of Sidney Sheldon, Pl . post other side of me.