1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

The Omen, Crows & Knight Of Luck

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, May 7, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: THE OMEN, CROWS & KNIGHT OF LUCK :hello:

An astrologer of the court was queried by the king in Dharbar session as to which is the best omen to look at the moment one wakes up in the morning.

The astrologer thought for a while, consulted his palm-leaves notes and read a poem from a canto on auguries & omens the substance of which is this:

For given set of circumstances, luck varies from moment to moment and from individual to individual yet for immense benefits for the day, seems to be sighting a pair of crows - the moment one wake’s up.

Having heard this, the king ordered that his bed room be shifted at once to uppermost corner of the palace overlooking the East full of greeneries and tall fruit yielding mango orchards where huge family of crows & other birds have their nests and congregate.

The king desired to test the best of omens as told by astrologer and at once ordered that a knight be posted in his new bedroom as an observer and in the twilight of morning the moment knight spots a pair of crows, he - the soldier - should guide him blindfolded to the closest wide opened window, so that he could open his eyes & look at the pair of crows.

Accordingly a vigilant knight was posted and he did see at dawn a pair of crows just landing on a slender branch of a mango tree that was full of just ripe mangoes. The pair was perching juxtaposed facing the king’s bed room: the branch with the crows landed weight was just undulating.

The knight felt that it is going to be huge lucky day for him & the King. No sooner he spotted the pair of crows, he rushed to the king in proximity and politely yet hurriedly told “Oh! Dear King! A pair of crows just perching near a mango branch. Get up eyes closed and I would walk you to the window and open your eyes only when I tell you to look at the pair of crows”.

But alas! When both reached the open window & king opened his eyes, he could only see a thin bare branch of tree was moving up and down. The knight pleaded that he did see a pair but they flew away before king could see them. A very upset King, looking red in the face, scolded the knight and ordered that the knight be beheaded!

A bewildered knight thought for a while and emboldened by the death sentence, firmly yet politely told the king, “ See your honour - though I had seen a pair of crows with my own eyes yet I now turned “lucky” only to get death sentence awarded to me, but the court astrologer who had told this “best omen” for the day is not being questioned”.

With these words of knight, the King turned contemplative & realised his foolhardiness. He at once withdrew the sentence and rewarded the
    Knight with huge gifts and gold coins for enlightening him.

The Omen - Was it bad or good ?

2. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

Crows crowing near your house, window or balcony is an indicator of guests visiting on that day. Since its Corona and people dont travel much , it means that a news (good or bad) will be heard that day from your relatives.

I always wonder how does a crow be able to know this. Busy people dont notice the crow crowing and its effects and also wont believe it.

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @paru123
    Crows too evolved to be an intelligent creature. They seemed to possess something like a magnetic compass coupled to their brain to forward dangers to their wards and hence to humans.
    Dad was in an immaculate white trousers in tucked shirt with his bicycle to proceed to office was waiting for good omen.
    When a crow was moving from left to right he will make a move forward direction to the left of the house. If he happens to see the crow move from the opposite side toward him, he would bring the bicycle into home, mom would fetch a glass of water and a while later he would try again.

On the days when he performs grand parents’ anniversary, with Pindam on the platter, he would cry hoarse “CAw” “CAw” and it would be at times an ordeal before a crow is sighted. When crow appears quickly and fly at the platter in a parabolic arc all members present would have a great sigh of relief as the rest of the proceedings move in full swing.

In hindu iconography, Crow is a vehicle for the planet Lord Shani.
    upload_2021-5-10_12-38-34.jpeg

Crows have sense of time.
    When mom faces some delay in offering the cooked rice at a regular time every day before our lunch, I used to notice a pair of crows would arrive at caw caw near kitchen window perching on the gril drawing attention of all members at home.