1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Old lady down the lane!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega
    This was one very touchy post about the old lady really feel sorry for the old aged parents.
    When she was alive no one did any type of pomp and show then why so much show off when she died I don't think she really wanted...
    What she wanted was to spend her last days with the loved ones peacefully.
    When they are alive they don't have time then how do they get time when the parents pass away....
    This is really sad.

2. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Arunarc
    True, had they wanted to come and see their mom occationally, they would have found the time atleast once in 2 years may be by taking turns. But then that's an effort each one has to make, no dignified parent will impose such conditions on you! Would they???...and dont forget this women was a widow....!!!
    Megalife

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega
    I know no dignified parents what this but it is the duty of the kids to make some understanding between them and do visit her atleast once a year. Since she is a widow she will be wanting her kids to be around her isn't it.
    I don't blame the kids too in olden days the woman want to die where her hubby left his life that is also another problem in such a case what will the kids do.

1 person likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Megha dear I dont know how I missed this wonderful and thought provoking post of yours. Feel really sorry for the old lady but in present times most of the old people are going through this. Children now a days lead a hectic life and dont realise that they should spend sometime with their parents in old age.

What a coincidence when I was writing fb for this post my sister phoned who is 72 yrs old, not so healthy having health problems but keeps herself busy whole day after having servant also with her. Takes only one hour rest in the afternoon. It seems today when she was lighting the diya her grandson who is 6 yrs old came to her and told patti you are working a lot. Dont worry when you die you will be lying down and need not work. But you wont die now you will die only when I am sixteen years old. It was so touching to hear that. Her son and dil look after her nicely and tell her not to do any work but she does not listen saying if I work then only I will be healthy. I told her dont worry your grandson will look after you.

1 person likes this.
  5. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Mega very touching post.I wrote a poem in Tamil named SIPPI THAI {Mother shell}A Shell grows the Pearl.when the Pearl become matured it is on the Crown but the shell is left on a corner.Though it is natural A pain is seen on the Mother's face with out the children near by.

1 person likes this.
  6. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Megalife,

Wonderful write up & Yes its painful to see them all alone battling for their life in their own way.I can relate to it & I have similar such experiences which has left me with heavy heart.

7. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

A fantastic writing and observation Mega. You don't have to feel guilty. Instead you should bless your stars that you were able to give some good time for the old lady.

I thank God for he gave us the opportunity to settle here 10 years before, which has freed us from feeling guilty. We never thought of NRI status. We were laughed upon by even close relatives when we said we need to take care of parents at their old age. So instead of thinking about it then, we thought it better to settle here now itself. Now I have more number of senior citizens around us who appreciate our decision.

Hope I meant no offence to anybody. Each ones situation is different.

Regards
    Munch kin

1 person likes this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Megalife,

After finished reading it...there was a lump in the throat. What is the point of arranging a grand funeral when they did not bother about the mother when she was alive? Why are we becoming like this...technologically a lot has improved, money wise well off, spending a lot of money on various things and gadgets that flood the market every week,.but when it comes to parents, why so many excuses, ifs and buts Even if one is abroad...can make a good arrangement good living conditions,good help, visiting every few months...is it such a difficult thing.?They go on holidays...this week Thanksgiving, biggest travelling time in USA, people book tickets much much in advance. During summer vacation...the first question in any part is "Where are you going for holidays" or when they come back the question is"What shopping you did in India?" They have time for all these things but not for parents...moreover she is single. Is it not degeneration of moral values? A generation ago...though they did not have much money, their hearts were good and shared whatever they had. Where are we leading?

ML, your language and way of expression is excellent. It was like reading an old English Novel..as many side. Excellent snippet.

Syamala

9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Vijima
    Thank God that at the age of 72 your sis can manage without being fully dependent on anyone. Please tell her to remain as active as possible, being involved keeps one happy and content.

Look at the plight of our Satchi, she is literally caring for a baby. God give her the strength and mental stability to deal with the situation .
    Thanks for being here.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  10. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear periamma
    Wish I could read Tamil, I am ashamed to say I cannot even read Malayalam ,my mother tongue .
    This issue is plaguing our country, where do the old parents go? I wonder what is going to be our fate!
    Mega