1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Nest in my Home

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Nest in My Home<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

This is the place where the sparrows build their nest and lay their eggs,and poor Ganeshji is behind,well hidden.Thousands of eggs must have been laid in the last 20 years.​

[​IMG]

In the Verandah of my Bunglow,where i sit outside to have my cup of tea every morning,We have a a Ganesh idol installed.This is common to most houses in Jaipur.The idol must be 6 inches tall,and before we entered this house 20 years ago, we prayed to Ganeshji first and then entered.It is just above the entrance door.

That was the last we saw of Ganeshji, poor chap,sorry God.He has been taken over by the sparrows,who lay their eggs right at his feet,and it is always house full since then.The sparrows collect the grass from my lawns,or some strings,straws and for a few days make the nest.Then they start to lay the eggs,and this drama has unfolded repeatedly for the last 20 years since we moved in.

My first dog, Naughty, used to sit next to me,and eye the nest, hoping for a windfall,by way of the egg falling accidently from above.He was a Non Veg,and used to eat them if they fell,and we used to try catch Naughty,but he used to be too fast for us,and run away with the egg swollowed in a jiffy.But the birds used to carry on and lay some more.

My mom gets very bugged when she comes to jaipur and keeps telling me to put a window over Ganeshji,so that the birds dont nest there,but then i feel Ganeshji wont mind the birth of a baby bird,would he?He is the giver of life,and as it is ,the idol is 7 feet up and we cant see Ganeshji even if we want to,so let the birds turn it to a maternity ward, for all I or Ganeshji care.

We come to know that a new chick has been born, by the chirpings we hear from above,and the parents bring in some food for the baby from here and there.We put pakshi Dana everyday for the birds to eat,and they take the grains one at a time and feed the baby.this all I can see from where i sit with my tea and my newspaper,and it gives me great joy.

Very soon the parents push the baby from the top, to encourage it to fly, and it lands in the Garden on the grass.with Tuffy i dont need to fear, because he is a Veg,and he just goes near and smells the baby bird, whild the parents fly to the top of the wall,wailing away,fearing Tuffy will eat it.tuffy the silly fellow, i just call him to give him a biscuit,and he leaves the birdie and comes to me.I just pick up the bird softly and put it on the wall,and very soon the birdie learns tofly.

Naughy used to eat up these small delicasies,not once bothering to share it with me.Selfish fellow Naughty.May his soul rest in peace.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Kamalji - You are lucky to be hosting the birth of many sparrows. These poor birdies have no place in the other Indian cities where they have no trees to nestle their young one's and no homes for them to fly in to build their nests. The sparrows in your home must be feeling safe in the presence of Ganesh. And they will bless your home too for your hospitality.

In the US, many people hang bird-homes in their balcony. I leave some sunflower seeds in a plate in my balcony. Squirrel's and birds drop in to peck at them. Although I cannot distinguish one squirrel from another except from their sizes, a couple of big one's keep chasing the small one's out from having their share. Sometimes the war gets fierce with their screams.

3. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kamalji..............
    I had thought of sharing this kind of nesty thing to all IL but you know I am not at all a writer like you, so never mentioned about it.
    Anyways, saw your post, so writting it as a reply to your post.
    I have lots of plants in container and I do container gardening (bare necessity as I stay in appartment, where place is a constraint).
    During summer, I used to keep all my house plants outside so that they will get some sunlight and I can see a shine on their leaves.
    I have a big Philodendron variety which has grown too much.
    Every weekend, me and my hubby used to trim the plants, water them and clean them with mist spray, one weekend we were really surprised to see so much of leaf vestiges and other things that mainly constitute to trash inside the pot, just on the bottom of the main branch of the plant, my hubby was about to throw the trash out, suddenly something striked him and he called for me and we saw that it was a nest...........
    we were so amazed to see that and we just left that nests there and kept an eye on the plant to see which bird is coming there but sadly, the bird has probably smelled the danger and she never came to that nest..............though we saw two of the small birds hovering around the plant whole day.
    We really felt so bad for sth which we did unknowingly............
    Regards.......

4. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

My Dear Kamalji,

What a Man is, the same is at his house....

We know your hospitality and affections, the same way Lord Ganeshji has rendered the sanctuary for those sparrows to breed under his feet.

A wonderful gesture of hospitality and Care.

Keep writing and watching events around the world.

Have you seen todays Reliance Quoto by the way !!!

Let's have the pleasure to entertain friends in days to come...

There lives a human
    Hospitality is his nature
    Entertainments are his way of tributes

Nature's Safe
    Environment
    Sparrows
    Takes shelter

Inspirations
    Nurturing

Mahtani's family
    Yes..its true...

Homely
    Overwhelming
    Mortals
    Ever Lives....for generations...

Subbu

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Nivediji,

Yes the birds must be feeling so nice to give birth in front of Lord Ganesha.

And it is my good fortune they choose my home to give birth.

I put bird food every morning without fail and we have peacocks, parrots ,sparows and pigeons coming to eat.They do me a favour, and not the other way round.They bless my home.

And it was funny about the wquirrels in yr home.HAHA.Must be fun to watch eh.

Thanks and regards.kamal

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Meetaji,

there is no need to feel bad.It was not yr fault really.But a touching story.

Dont ever hesitate to post whatever is there in yr life.that may seem silly, but so many readers identify with these small happenings, and may want to share their stories on yr blog comments.

See i just posted what came to my mind.Thanks and regards.kamal

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Subbuji,

thanks for yr kind words and wishes.May Lord Ganesha bless you and yr family.waiting to meet u in chennai.Thanks and regards.kamal

8. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

That was nice.....giving place for the nest.....It needs Big Heart....

Veda

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Veda,

Thanks for yr sweet words.Regards.kamal

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi kamalji,

Hats off to you...i can just visualise your description...the birds are really lucky...to have a nice patron like you....i have seen lot of people just get so irritated with the pigeon making nests under the ac panels in the gulf...

Some people say that a nest in the house means there is going to be new life in the family..i was just laughing..at what would have been kamalji's plight if it were really true......

It is so beautiful....the egg...and then the bird hatching out of the egg...the parents feeding them....wonderful feeling.....