1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Namesake-Worth to Watch

Discussion in 'Movies' started by cheer, Jun 3, 2007.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Yesterday we watched "The Namesake", it's a slow movie but really worth to watch. The simplicity of the movie & the message was superb. Sotryline is-

Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Jhumpa Lahiri, The Namesake covers three decades in the life of the Ganguli family. After surviving a horrific train crash, Ashoke Ganguli (Irfan Khan) agrees to an arranged marriage with lively singer Ashima (Tabu) in 1977 Calcutta, before relocating to New York to start a family.

Years pass and the Gangulis' son Gogol (Kal Penn), named after Ashoke's favourite author, grows into a promising architect, married to a rich American girl (Jacinda Barrett). However, Gogol struggles to come to terms with his Bengali heritage, neglecting his parents and even going so far as to hide his given name from his wife and her family.

"The Namesake" is a powerful movie that unhesitatingly focuses on the love, sometimes frayed but always powerful, between parents and children, showing why, in this case, they clash and why they may finally come together.

1 person likes this.

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

dear Cheer,

I missed this post, .....but honestly i did not care for the direction of the movie.....the intercultural clashes taht happen between generations living abroad and the acceptance by parents or the childrens appreciation of the indian culture could have been brought out better. For instance gogol, having an american girl friend was okay, but his marriage later to this bengali , and their marrige breaking up etc....alll so hollow! what was she trying to potray...
    And living here i have many indian friends(especially bengalis) , whose children are born and brought up here and how they either acceptour clulture or go the opther way,....all this is seen by me here....and the movie had nothing special to offer......i thought everything was a normal growing up procedure by the children and the parents!
    But Tabu and Irfan were good, so typically bengali.....that part was the only thing i liked!
    what do u say....of course i did not read the book...so....

3 people like this.
  3. Rajjo

Rajjo Junior IL'ite

I really liked the movie and loved tabu in tht. she is so natural..

4. swapna15

swapna15 Senior IL'ite

Hello Cheer,

I completely agree with u..Its a brilliant movie..I had read the book as well which is well written..i wasnt expecting the movie to turn out so well!! Tabu and Irfan both were very good..My hubby hates bolywood movies genrelly but he loved this one..hope to see such movies coming up in our country in future..

bye
    Swapna

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There are so many movies with the same concept.....