1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Much Awaited Class On Evil And Suffering!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Sep 16, 2009.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sridhar Sir

Today is my lucky day I should say...just logged in and was browsing the new blog entries and saw this new blog..

I accept this fact that , even without realising we tell our kids stories in which there is always a negative character...and might be we all grew up listening to such stories (or are we trying to show the difference b/w what a good person does Vs what a bad person does??)..so whenever we come across people..we try to categorize them in those buckets of good and bad...if all we heard about was about good people and good deeds..i wonder how big difference it makes in this world...wow...really food for thought...

3. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir,

Well..just read your blog. It made me ponder for a while before putting my comments. Had to read two three times or else I think I would have been the first to give the comments. What I understand from the mosquito example is that evil and suffering for one(mosquito) may be just for other(maran). Is that what you tried to convey. Pardon me if my understanding is wrong. But then, if it is what you tried to convey, will that hold good in all cases? Will karma not play a role in the suffering of people or rather I believe karma alone is the reason for suffering for all. I am confused. But good thought provoking writing sir.

Regards

Radhi

4. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    How nice to have read your latest blog first or has already some one replied to it even as I am typing out this comment?
    Well, as ever, this blog too is very convincing in its conviction! But, was Maran convinced? Let me wait and see your next blog.
    There are many Marans in this world out here and not all can be convinced. Like, yesterday I was having a chit-chat with one of my son's friends while cooking for dinner. He is a very nice guy, pleasant mannered, friendly etc.etc. I had known about his questioning attitude when it came to God. So I had decided to stay clear from the topic so that we did not spoil an evening with heated discussions or debates. Somehow the topic of astrology came up and that started a round of talks that brought us to Pranic healing, good and bad vibrations etc.
    Well,this is how it started. I said that I was relieved of my severe cold and was happy about it. He enquired if I had taken medicines and I said that I first let my immune system work and if it failed fighting the antigens with its army of antibodies, then I would seek external modes of war against terror and intrusion! Slowly the topic shifted to home made remedies, our ancient cure systems using the various spices, to Siddha medicine, when all of a sudden he said, siddha medicine was all fraud! To some extent, I said, I too agreed with him since a doctor friend had told me that her friend who was a Siddha medicine practitioner used to buy medicines from her and mix them up with Siddha medicines and pass it off as pure Siddha medicines. That did not make the medicine a fraud but the practitioner a fraud. Then he said people were concocting terms like 'vibration' to energy and thus luring people to pranic healing etc. which again was utter nonsense.
    I casually told him, just because we could not see certain things, that could not make them non-existent. If that was the case, there would not have been development of Science to this extent where earlier it was believed that atom is the smallest particle which cannot further be mutated and now we have protons, electrons, neutrons, nano particles and so on.
    Like Maran, this boy looked disturbed! But then, I assured him, saying, "Don't worry, I have no intention to change your beliefs. You have made my day enjoyable with your views and I have been able to finish cooking (which is quite mundane) talking to you. Good day! Have a wash and come to have dinner, hot and fresh". He smiled and left the place only to be back to relish the simple dinner of Chapathis, daal, rice, Rasam and curd! Nice, interesting blog that let me share my latest experiences too.
    Love
    Malathi

5. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

By the way, Sridhar, your example with mosquitoes was really unique! Only you could have thought of such ways of writing! Great!

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,

A very eloquent way of drawing the broader picture of evil and good.

the two sides of a coin, has been very well projected from the perspective of the mosquito.

how better the world would be if we even pause for a moment to understand the hidden facet of the coin/circumstance.

i definitely agree that a dose of evil is necessary to enhance the good.

the black dot on a white canvas looks more striking than a white dot on a black canvas. it is the example i tell my children, when talking about good and evil.

great one..well was maran convinced..

7. swethakalyanee

swethakalyanee New IL'ite

I had to read a couple of times to understand ur post :). 'Coz I was also quite confused like Maran..especially that Mosquito part! Anyways now kinda understood what u have converyed. A very interesting read. Seems Maran is convinced! Looking forward to the next class.

8. varalotti

Dear Srividya,
    Let me first thank you for opening the blog comments account.
    raasiyana kaiyanala boni panni irukkeenga!

When my first novel A Love Story was published one of my close friends who read the novel word by word said, "I am sorry Sridhar. the characters are unbelievably good. There are no villains or bad elements in the story. Looks like a story of sath yuga. Do you think your book will sell?"

It's because we have so much violence in us that there is so much violence in the media. Even a children's cartoon show has enormous amount of violence. In Ninja Turtles show there's a murder almost every five minutes.

The external circumstances reflect our internal mental condition. So if we want to change the world the place where we need to start is ourselves.

Again good and evil is a matter of personal prejudice. If a man hunts an animal we call it sport. And if the animal hunts him we call it evil, or ferocity.

Let's try telling stories about only good characters. Let's shun violence in TV and movies. The world itself would become heaven.

Thanks once again for coming in first.
    love,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

Dear Radhi,

I salute your sincerity. In a way, yes, it is a complex concept. And I have tried to explain from a non-conventional angle. We have the karma theory. But it's a humongous blanket which can hold anything and everything.
    We will see about it in a later blog.

Now let me tell you the substance of this blog in a much simpler form. When you just start viewing life with a mosquito's eyes you are simply bewildered. You know a mosquito's normal life span is 24 hours (equal to a human being living for about 80 years) and many die without living a full life.

A mosquito can never understand the phenomenon of sudden death or mass murder when being sprayed with chemical fumes. That's not an explanation for evil. But I am just saying that similarly there is a possibility of many beings existing at a level higher to us and we might suffer death at their hands thanks to a superior law which we cannot understand.

Ultimately Radhi my idea is not to bring out a convincing explanation of evil. I am here to say that you cannot reason out everything.

I don't want this concept of evil and suffering to come between us and God.That's all.

Please let me know if I am still confusing.

thanks once again,
    love,
    sridhar

10. smileypooja

smileypooja Senior IL'ite

Dear Vara,:)

Came across this blog seeing your name tag:thumbsup on it...seriously i must say you would go to any length to engrave those words in our :bowdownmind forever...this time you did it by using mosquito as an example to explain about evil and love...

I got your message clearly..and waiting to read your next blog on love...hope maran also would have understood the message you wanted to convey.....:coffee

Poooja.