1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Monkeys Of Jaipur

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Monkeys of Jaipur<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />
    I and my wife shifted to Jaipur from Bombay,soon after marriage,for business reasons,in 1980,and since then happily settled here.

We stayed in a rented bunglow,where we stayed and also worked from,exporting garments.I soon made friends,but we did not know we have to put up with monkeys too.In mumbai u get to see them either in the zoo,or with a madari,but not inside your home.And we did not know that monkeys would be instrumental in us making friends with our neighbours,who now are like a part of our family.

They come once a week or so,no fixed day.And around 20 or more monkeys come in the neighbourhood,and are all over the place.Our first experience was very scary.I was sleeping,around 7 in the morning,and i hear a scream .I ran out to find my wife sobbing away,seems a monkey had entered the house from the front door,which she had left open after the milkman had gone.She went to the kitchen to make tea,and she sees a huge monkey,eating a cold mango from the fridge,and seeing her,snared his teeth,and ran away.Boy oh Boy.

Slowly we got used to it,since we had to live in Jaipur,and build our business.Our clothes used to dry on the wire in the garden,and these guys used to take some clothes and run away.And a neighbour a few houses away would come and ask the others,are these clothes yours?the monkeys must have dropped them in our house.And imagine if the giver is the male,and the clothes are your wifes undergarments!But thanks to the monekys,we neighbours became good friends,and everyone in the neighbourhood came to know what sizes are the other ladies in the neighbourhood,as we had to return too what the monkeys left over at our house.

A neighbours daughter,a teenager then,had just returned from abroad with nice blouses.These monkeys used to tear her blouses to shreads.They never tore any ones else but hers.We used to tease her that maybe this guy was a jilted lover of yours in the past birth and taking revenge now.

I had a pomerian Dog called Naughty,and he used to bark incessantly at the monkeys whenever they came.Once a monkey was sitting on our parapet wall,eating the leaves of our rubber plant.The monkeys tail was hanging down,and Naughty ran towards him,this guy cooly takes up his tail,and continues to eat.I was inside and came to find out why is Naughty creating such a ruckus.

Naughty must have barked for about 5 mins or so,standing on the wall,but not quite reaching the top,where the moneky was.Suddenly I see the monkey getting irritated with Naughty,and just bent down and gave two tight slaps to Naughty.It happened so suddenly that we did not have the time to react.And naughty quickly ran and hid under the swing .Later on it became a big joke in the house,that naughty was slapped by a monkey.

A friend of ours,staying in a huge joint family,had his own tales to tell.He was staying on the third floor,his window cooler had gone for repairs,and there was a big hole in the wall..One morning he was sleeping and he put his arm around his wife,and sleepily kissed her.He felt a bit odd,that why does she have so much hair.He remembered she had just gone to the bueaty parlour recently.Then his hand began to spread all over,as is usual,and he suddenly remembered his wife had gone to her maike,and he woke up with a start.And what does he see?A monkey(male or female even he dosnt remember) sleeping right next to him.Boy did he run?must have been the fastest mile anyone could have run.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Kamalji !
    What a nightmare for your poor friend !
    To say nothing of poor Naughty getting slapped by a monkey too !
    :mrgreen:
    manjula

3. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Good anecdote Kamalji.

My staff around me is wondering what i am upto laughing all by myself.

I hope now your dear friend remembers to shield the window whenever his cooler goes for a toss.:wink:

Warm regrds
    Roopa.

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Manjuji,

Glad u enjoyed it.Thanks a ton.Regards.kamal

Roopaji,

Dont laugh so much u may fall off the chair !

Glad u liked the story.Many more to follow.thanks for yr kind comments,Regards.kamal

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

oh kamalji, :rotfl that was real stuff and too potent to read,
    my now do u hve mesh all over or still there are these pranks, i got to see this in discovery once and my all the atta and so many things get strewn out, and now your description i can understand what nightmare....sunkan

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunkan,

thanks for yr kind comments.Monkeys dont trouble me, bcs they take me to be their brother.HAHA.

Regards.kamal

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

kamalji u r a riot..sunkan

8. sandhya19

sandhya19 New IL'ite

vow Kamalji, that was hilarious,i really had a good laugh while reading:rotfl
    pooy Naughty,slapped by a monkey ....
    even in Ahmedabad there are lot of monkeys,and they always come in group,one particular monkey used to come regularly into our house either from the balcony or from the main door and if both are closed it waits for some time to be opened,and also got to know of the places in the house where it can find food,the dining table for fruits,or the kitchen shelf for the chapathi box,and make the place so messy!
    and my MIL says 'Hanumanji aye'
    we cant do anything,just wait for the monkey to finish it's eating and leave by itself

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sandhyaji,

HAHA.Hanumanji aye.Good one.These days monkeys dont come to my house so much.But we find them everywhere in jaipur.

thanks for yr great comments.Regards.kamal

10. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

first the elephant
    and now the monkeys
    we on animal planet or what?

this sure is common too...
    we lock ourselves
    everytime we get in
    and lock or shut and bolt the door
    everytime we go out