1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Mellow Memories of My Muzzled Muscles.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Manjureddy, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

After watching Srama meekly subjecting herself to the will of a Muscle with a Memory, I hurried to inspect the state of affairs closer home . It had never occured to me before now that my Muscles could have a personality of their own . Some fundamental facts of life go unnoticed unless pointed out by someone.

The idea of Muscles having a kind of consciousness, in the form of Memory, spooked me. Bunches of fiber being autonomous entities within the Body Republic ! If that is not creepy , what is ! ....omg, i can feel them inside my limbs now, like those ghastly body- invading Alien critters from BGrade Hollywood, scheming colonisation by insidious infiltration .......yech !

Nature must have had a quirky sense of humour when She endowed muscles unnecessarily with something that would have been hugely beneficial , and endlessly thanked for, had it been granted to the Brain instead. You know, there used to be talk once that the Brain is a muscle too. But somewhere along the way, someone must have woken up to the fact that while Muscles in other locations never forget anything, the Brain does lose files now and then . And so it is that the Brain stands excommunicated from the Fraternity of Muscles, though it has the same slimy, ashen complexion of its erstwhile cousins downstairs and the same tendency to laze and fall asleep if not slavedriven to labour at least a few hours a week.

Memories are dependent upon Experience for their very being. So, while my calf muscles have memorised walking and shuffling , they are quite innocent of Running. I am not famous for prescience , but I am quite pleased with myself for not having burdened my leg muscles with bitter childhood memories that would scar them for life . The last time I Indulged in a motion called Running was when my instinct for self preservation ordered me to make myself scarce from the playground , where a stray dog had mistaken my kind present of a Rusk for an abusive rock and had indicated he was not amused. I was then a frivolous seven years old and my equally young and frivolous leg Muscles failed to upload this experience into its Memory Archive. Perhaps as a post-trauma memory-blackout reaction.
    I havn't Run since then . Neither out of own Free Will ; Nor driven by any OCD afflicted Muscles . No Running Races at school. No Robber-Police games outside it. A Dream Run of a life !

Which brings me to an as yet unsolved puzzle .
    Why does Running continue to figure as a Sport in schools ? I can understand 'schools ' in ancient Hunter Gatherer societies teaching the young ones skills indispensable for their living. Javelin throwing and Running would have been Top Curriculum. With no food bounding away from our grasp, and no potential food streaking after us in hot pursuit, we now have little use for the same in day to day transactions. Yet, along with the three Rs, this fourth R is also being so religiously trained into kids , that when the poor sots grow up, the wretched, remembering leg Muscles give them no peace till they do their bidding : Run .
    On Pavements at dawn, on treadmills during noon , in Marathons on occassion. People run. Driven by Memories that are not even their's but their Muscle's ....... The tragedy of Human Bondage.

It gladdens my heart to report that I have tamed the shrewish Independent Will of my Muscles and have successfully trained them to do only precisely described chores . And not any other pointless activity : Like donning tracksuits and fleeing from phantoms . Or hurtling on highways, in half drawers , with one thousand people not getting anywhere, purportedly spreading Awareness . Of Breast Cancer/ Rights of Girl Child / Endangered Animals / pickyourcause ( Which Awareness can be spread through mobile phones , as per the idea of a certain Sirji, with more effective reach and less wear and tear to tendons. )

My sheltered and cosseted Muscles, unplagued by nonessential Memories, cheerfully keep to their pavlovian brief of cooking, cleaning, banking, shopping, driving, pretty much all homemaking, leaving me free to do what I enjoy most : Daydreaming and searching for Myself.

11 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju Reddy,
    You have taken us through theory of Evolution.I seem to have read about the biological terms when my neighbour Auntie, a nursing tutor narrated her experience in hospitals.You have wonderful healthy brain muscles to recall phrases,( unknown to many).I am thinking of buying a good dictionary to read your mails. What a vocabulary!A gift developed thro constant study.
    May your search for " I' prove fruitful.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Manju,

I have often very often wondered about this whole running business. I have thought about running and the ancient hunters as well and it is with a little bulb going off in my head I realized that then people ran chasing that food and now the likes of run chasing away that fat, running away from that food and it's effects this easier living has bestowed on us :biggrin2: and my friend let me hasten to assure that that search you do for your self happens while running too. Most runners can attest for that and like I said many do it as well.....'running meditation' if I may! How else can I be attracted (even if very very feebly) to running? As much as I run in a group, I am mostly a solitary runner often the only one between two pace groups! As for that awareness, my friend you seem to forget the money raised that goes towards the research that is more important, not awareness alone!

As for schools and running, I have no idea and I don't get why anyone would race that fast and to win. I have been lucky to be assoicated with a couple of Olympians and still the answers elude me. I continue to chat with them and keep up their freindship hoping to have that breakthrough moment of if they have found themselves!

Just one more thing to work on as far as detachment is concerned for me, that I agree with you but work I shall toward that goal :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Manju,

Are you spooked by the idea of muscles having consciousness in the form of memory? You have not seen nothing yet. Dr. Bruce Lipton in his book "Biology of Belief" (disproving many early scientific inventions) proves that every cell has its own memory and together they influence the way we conduct ourselves. The environment in which they are nurtured influences them very much which is the reason why we are, by changing our habits and thoughts,are able to change our perception of the world. He tells that more than gene, it is the environment that influences a person's behavior as the city of cells react collectively to such environment. So be prepared to listen to your cells and not only muscles.

Kabbalist Rav Berg in his book, "Nano Technology of Mind over Matter" tells that when God tried to split Himself into many other lives, it was not happening because it had the same qualities of the God and always wanted to merge with the Universal Absolute. Therefore, he created a vessel to receive His grace. Still the new creations were resisting to be selfish and hence He created a third element that could receive for the purpose of giving to other beings. He explained that those three elements are drilled into every cell as Proton (one which is God's replica), Electron (One which is capable of receiving grace) and Neutron (One which is ready to give what it receives). He compares it with how Kabbalism said the same thing in their Testaments.

Don't they resemble the three gunas that Veda describes as Rajasic, Tamosic and Satwic Gunas? In Deivathin Kural, Paramacharya describes Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu as three gunas in that order separated out to perform action in the world by Parasakthi.

It is interesting to learn how quantum physics and spirituality converge.

I couldn't control my laughter when I read these lines. Isn't it true that not only our intentions should be good but we have to make it apparent to the recipient? Probably you showed a throwing action instead of feeding action keeping your hand down.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Jayasala

Its good to be reassured that my brain muscles are healthy, even if my leg muscles may not be.
    Your kind hint that I could be more accessible in my posts is taken in the right spirit ; will try to rectify the deficiency in future writings. :)
    Thank you for the feedback, Jayasala

6. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Thats my girl, Srama ! An expectedly spirited tract the Running society will be proud of. Loved it. Always nice to see the view from the otherside and understand what makes people tick in predicaments...sorry...situations , the experience of which i am never to know. I have nothing but admiration for your Running Meditation but, all the same, much prefer having a Meditation running in my mind , even as my pampered muscles warm the old sofa.:hide:

Ah, yes, the money . The Ends are Important of course . But it occurs to me that
    a) Marathons were once run with no monetary goal in sight and b) Donations for Causes pour in even when people just sit or hug or sing in Public Squares , with a Sign Board in the background. Anyway, I have no qualms in admitting that I have given the occassional cheque to Marathoners too. I dunno about others, but in my case its like outsourcing unpleasant work for a reasonable fee.

Keep working,nay, keep Running towards your goals, my good Srama and if yourOlympian friends do crack any mysteries , kindly pass on the knowledge to benighted me .
    Thank you ,Srama.

1 person likes this.
  7. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Vishwa,

I am familiar with Bruce Lipton and his Biology of Belief. The animated charts he uses during his talks help even scholastically challenged people like me to clearly understand his theory. But those coloured pegs and cogs are not as creepy as the idea of muscles with Memory.
    That certain functions of the human body are self regulated, ( Autonomic , Sympathetic , funny names like that ) was part of the General Science I learnt in 8th standard ages ago , when Lipton was just a tea . The idea implanted then was that the HumanBody is a cleverly constructed machine. It is only now ,with the emergence of Artificial Intelligence, that people seem to want not only man made machines , but naturally created machin parts too to have Intelligence and consciousness and memory and stuff ! I even came across a modern Primer that talks of Rubber having Memory because it regains shape after squeezed . Its the Nomenclature, see ? Perhaps Digital Age youngsters are comfortable with it, but to oldtimer me, it just feels spooky.

Not heard of that Kabbalist . But will explore right away. In anycase, the idea that the further into science one dives, the closer to Eastern Mysticism one arrives is as old as Robert M Pirsig, if not Einstein and Oppenheimer themselves. ( the latter ,allegedly ,having remembered the Gita :" Now I Am Become Death" when the first atom bomb went off ) And then, there are the transplanted sons of our soil, physicist Mani Bhaumik and neuroscientist Vilayanur Ramachandran giving us uberscientific lenses through which esoteric vedic knowledge and spirituality can be understood more clearly.

Back to Muscles and Memories now, there is no need to indict 7 year old me for failing to make my good intentions clear to the recipient stray dog.
    Action was right, aim went wrong. :bonk

Thankyou, Vishwa.

2 people like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju
    About a decade back, the muscles of the various parts of a man’s body raised in revolt against their invisible leader whose Big Brother kind of attitude did not go very well with them. Even after sixty odd years of their existence, this Big Brother leading a very protected life inside a place which was more secure than Fort Knox and continuing to exercise control over them as if they were still children was not acceptable to them at all. Autonomy was all that they demanded. It did not happen overnight like the Mutiny on the Bounty but it was more on the lines of the Satyagraha movement of Gandhi. In the end, the muscles got what they wanted. The brain ceded power to every one of the muscles and they reveled in their new-found autonomy.

The chaos started straightaway. The mouth ate whatever it wanted despite protests from the stomach. It had to work overtime to digest whatever was being pushed into it by the unscrupulous mouth. Soon the stomach could not believe the enormous size it had grown into. It sent a SOS to the legs to resume their vigorous walking schedule but the legs would not play ball. They said that they had worked all their life to keep the tummy in good shape and they never got anything in return from the tummy. They sounded very bitter at all the thankless job they have done for the tummy all their lives. ‘We have earned our well deserved rest and we will not do anything for any one hereafter’ was their curt reply.

In the meantime, with the idea of freedom getting into their mind, every organ of the body started doing whatever appealed to them most. The helpless brain knew that all this chaotic lack of co-ordination would eventually affect it too and a strong shudder went through its formless body. It tried to call the prime organs for an urgent conference to discuss the situation but they were not too keen to oblige. They felt that it was a veiled attempt on the part of the brain to regain its authority. Further they knew that whatever decision was taken at the meeting, it would require the support of the legs and hands to implement which they knew would never be forthcoming.

The anarchy continued relentlessly until the Guinness guys visited the owner of these anarchic limbs to take the details of his claim as the world’s most massive man!
    Sri

6 people like this.
  9. jayasala42

Dear Manju Madam,
    Is with the sense of appreciation that I wrote the mail.Even if I make a sincere effort , I may not be able to attempt of one tenth of what you write. It is so nice to read your posts so rich in terminologies- in all the fields-biological, technical, literary, medical etc etc.Exuberance of words with luxury in expression are really worthwhile possessing.It is a gift.
    I think my hint of appreciation has been totally misunderstood by you.
    I am really sorry if I have hurt you. My sincere apologies.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  10. jayasala42

Dear Shri Cheeniya Sir,
    A loveable post. Your way of explaining different parts of the body behaving their own way
    surpassed many a humour.It resembles the functioning of our Government with different coalition parties taking their own decisions by sweet will and pleasure ultimately doing lot of havoc to the democracy( comparable to bran)
    Your conceptual conference brings to my mind the behaviour of a python, native of Australia.Like many other animals in the continent it is very deadly,It can just eat a big crocodile as a snack.After eating a meal of this size,it won't eat for months.

The strange part of the biological aspect is , when eating something big like this,the animal has the capacity to basically rearrange its internal organs to make room for the food.the heart muscles will get elongated.The intestine experiences massive hypertrophy in order to pump out enough digestive enzymes.

If human beings are provided with such powerful muscles, a grand dinner on a single night might be sufficient for 6 months.Whether human physique enables such mysteries or not,Cheeniya's mail gives room for wide imaginations.

Avvai Patti has already written a verse

Oru nAL uNavai ozhi endRal ozhiyAi
    Iru nALaikku yEl yendrAl yELAi
    Oru nALum ennOvu ariyAi
    IdumbaikkUr en vayiRe unnOdu vAzhdhal aridhu
    ( My Dear stomach, If I ask you to sarve for a day, you bluntly refuse;If I a request you to swallow meals for 2 days at a stretch, ( because of availability in abundance)you reject.You don't understand my sufferings and difficulties.My Dear Stomach, it is very difficult to spend time with you")
    I think Avvai Patti had predicted Cheeniya Sir's mind. That is why she had composed a poem 1000 years back.

Jayasala 42

3 people like this.