1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

The Magical Handshake Revealed Which Othewise Would Go Unnoticed

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by sunkan, Feb 25, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

The Magical Handshake
    Restaurant owner's 'spongy' handshake with GP saves man's life after doctor recognized rare killer brain tumour, that was the opening of an article in 14<sup>th</sup> February, 2008 issue of Daily Mail. As the article explained, Mark Gurrieri from Houghton, Essex was working in a restaurant when a chance of meeting with a GP changed his life. Dr Chris Britt a GP was dining with the restaurant worker's pal, and when they were introduced, the doctor noticed Mark’s spongy-feeling hand.
    Dr Britt recognized the symptoms of acromegaly, which is a tumour at the base of the brain which can cause blindness, diabetes, blood pressure problems and, if left untreated, premature death. Dr Britt urged the 36-year-old to see his GP and Mr. Gurrieri immediately made an appointment. Tests revealed that he did have the rare condition, which affects just three in a million people.
    Mark said: "I never thought for a minute it was a condition I had. It came as a complete surprise to me. It's human nature to go on the Internet and straight away this thing flashes up - tumour. That word frightens everyone so it was a really scary time."
    I did a small search to know what Acromegaly is and found as under:Acromegaly (from Greek akros "extreme" or "extremities" and megalos "large" - extremities enlargement) is a syndrome that results when the pituitary gland produces excess growth hormone (hGH) after epiphyseal plate closure. A number of disorders may be affecting the pituitary to create this circumstance, although most commonly it involves a GH producing tumor derived from a distinct type of cells (somatotrophs) and called pituitary adenoma. Acromegaly most commonly affects adults in their early twenties, and can result in severe disfigurement, serious complicating conditions, and premature death if unchecked. Because of its insidious pathogenesis and slow progression, the disease is hard to diagnose in the early stages and is frequently missed for many years, when changes in external features, especially of the face, become noticeable. Acromegaly is often also associated with gigantismwhich is responsible for producing the growth hormone, and can cause loss of some vision.
    Dr Britt said: "A tumour in the pituitary gland causes it. It's a benign tumour but it can cause problems with vision because its growing and touching your optic nerves and can cause diabetes and blood pressure problems."
    The GP, who works at Whipps Cross Hospital in Leytonstone, east London, said he had not seen a case of acromegaly since he was a medical student. He added: "It's the sort of diagnosis you might make once in a career if you're lucky. It's so rare most GPs wouldn't have seen patients with it." The condition can cause swelling of internal organs, which can weaken the heart, the kidney and the vocal cords, which slows speech and produces a distinctive deep voice. Among other things it can lead to heart or kidney failure and arthritis. Mark underwent an operation in January to remove the 2cm tumour, which was growing at the base of his brain. It was a success and 92 per cent of the lump was removed. Mr Mark now has to take medicines and the tumour has to be monitored to keep the condition under control.
    It is surprising that a doctor could find a chronic illness while experiencing the condition of a person’s hand. Is that due to expertise of the doctor or the luck of the person? Only God can tell!
    This reminded me of my family doctor Shri Kandu Vaidyer. He was tall, dark complexioned and a fat structured doctor. We always welcomed him with more amount of respect and he returned that to us with a wonderful smile. He was the lone doctor in our village and he considered his profession as a mission to treat each and everybody by putting his soul into it. During that time there were no stethoscopes and thermometers. Kandu Vaidyer used to examine the hand first and then proceed to check the tongue and eyes. If there is a fever, he used to ask us to put a piece of cloth dipped in cold water or paste of chandan on the forehead to keep away the headache. While checking the hand we could spot a blooming smile on his face telling us that he could make out the disease.
    We used to go along with him for expeditions to fetch roots and leaves for making herbal medicine. It was really interesting to be with him and listen to his stories. He was like a grand father for all of us. Whenever I go to my native place on a vacation, I remember to visit his house.
    If he was alive, he would have been astonished to know the developing technology which aids in finding pulse and temperature through physical contact. Japan’s telecom giant Nippon telegraph and Telephone Corp (NTT) is planning to launch a system which uses the technology to turn the surface of the human body into a means of data transmission. Future applications of the technology dubbed as RedTaction system comprises a super sensitive sensor-which has to be carried on the person – that uses the minute electric field emitted on the surface of the human body to transmit data to a transceiver at a maximum speed of 10 Mbps. Communication is possible using any body surfaces, such as hands, fingers, arms feet, face and legs etc. The system works through shoes and clothing as well. NTT’s research Engineer Mitsuru Shinagawa says that “Eventually, doctors and nurses may be able to record patients’ data such as their pulse and temperature, just through physical contact”. See the developing modern technology.
    So many great doctors were there in our country who could feel the disease by touching the hand. But it is sad to know that most of them are not alive. I do not know whether the generation that had inherited their knowledge is that capable of carrying out their saga with responsibility! Only time can tell!
    Great people always leave a mark on our heart.

BY MY FRIEND VIJAY, BROUGHT TO U BY SUNKAN

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunakn,

That is great....

Even in todays world there are Doctors who can identify things....

But in todays world, people are more interested in Money... Even the best Doctors are after money.... Very few people think in terms of patients.... So, we dont recognise people.... who are really talented....

Veda