1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The love of a family is life's greatest blessing

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Mar 2, 2016.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

I am blessed to be a part of a lovely and a big family. There are indifferences between us but when there is a function everyone work like a team and make the function a grand success.

Me and my husband went for the engagement of his sister's grandson to Pollachi. While going we went in 3rd AC but while coming we got in 2nd class only. My brother in law said he will bring the food and told us only to bring Vefars and two bottle of water. My husband's nephew came from Baroda on 25th morning with his wife and evening he, his wife, my brother, me and my husband left for Pollachi. We got good company in the compartment a loving couple and their daughter . My brother in law brought yummy idlies for morning , Puliyodharai rice and Dahi rice for afternoon. Since we all were above 60 we ate the food in the afternoon and night. Myself, my husband and his nephew played cards for sometime. He had bought kakras which were very tasty. He bought biscuits, groundnuts also. The train was not so fast and in between it used to stop for the other trains to pass. We hadto spend two nights in the train . On 27th morning we reached Coimbatore at 7.30 am. or so .Husband's sister's grandson the engagement boy had come to pick us up and took us by car to his place. My husband's niece and husband had already come and other relatives also came by evening.We had a warm welcome by his nieces. In my husband's family all are experts in cooking . Morning they bought Ready made sevai out of which they made Nimbo sevai and coconut sevai and we had with coconut chutney and Tomato thokku. There were about 35 people or so and they had arranged for the stay in neighbour's house. They had lot of place outside the house and they put a tent there and nice breeze was coming.

For night instead of ordering from out my husband's niece, her sister in law, her sister and brother together made chana masala, had brought readymade chapathies which were to be heated and made pulkha with ghee on top, might have made 100 chapathies. Everyone enjoyed the chapathies , dahi rice was also there, but I think many of them must have enjoyed the hot chapathies and chana masala.

On 28th was the engagement. Morning we had breakfast which was ordered from out and left for the hall at 10.30 a.m. or so. Lovely kolams were put by the boy's athai and his periamma. The girl's side came and they were given warm welcome by us. Many relatives and friends came . My niece's in laws also came and he rmother in law was saying it is nice of you that you both attend all the functions without fail.

After lunch the engagement ceremony started. The girl is young and cute and is always smiling. The Vadyar did the function in short cut. Instead of making the boy's side and girl's side doing the ritual separately , he made them sit together and did it together. Usually they do asirvadham first then aarthi , but after aarthi he did asirvadham. In an hour the engagement was over. Then as always photos were taken , the engagement boy introduced his wouldbe to all of us. We were so many of us. While introducing me to his friends and his would be he introduced me as Facebook patti. :). Then Bhajia and coffee was served. One by one people were leaving. We were the last to leave. By evening everyone was tired. Everything was there for dinner and some people were feeling full so did not have.

Next day morning husband's niece got up early and made rice , idlies, brother in law made Puliyodharai and Dahi rice. You all must be thinking what way I helped in the kitchen , I just helped in serving and whatever help I could . Our journey back with brother in law, nephew and his wife was very comfortable though it was 2nd class. The whole compartment was ours as one person went and slept up and another lady for the first day was in othe rcompartment.

Sorry for the long write up

10 people like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Mami,

This time I caught up writing my first reply.

Very nice narration and you took me Coimbatore already. Never been to Pollachi though. Your train journey makes me remember the ones I had in India. I enjoy them.

You are really blessed to have such a lovely extended family.

You really made me hungry with all the food items you had mentioned yumsmiley, I had been running on bread and butter for this week. Naake setthu pochu. :-(

Thanks a lot for sharing your travel experience with your lovely family.
    Vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  3. EnglishNotGood

EnglishNotGood Silver IL'ite

Nice and simple to the heart snippet.

1 person likes this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice to read. I wondered how you managed to travel by train for two nights. Wow yummy food! Tonight made puliyodarai after reading your post

3 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

Glad to get your first feedback and thanks for the same. Glad my post took you to Coimbatore. True dear I am blessed to have a extended family. Sorry to know that you had been running on bread and butter.

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

Thank you dear , glad you liked my snippet

7. iyerviji

Glad to get your feedback jskls dear. It was hectic travelling two nights but somehow managed with the grace of God and good company. Glad to know you made puliyodarai .

1 person likes this.
  8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear viji,

Was missing your smiling face for some time in this forum. Whatever might be the class you would have travelled in the train, the way you have presented things is top class. I wish I Had been there to share some of the idlis and Puliyodharai you had and also those pleasant moments. Thanks Viji.

Agatha83

1 person likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

With good company, one can be happy anywhere — even two nights in a train. You are truly blessed.

Thank you for another heart-warming snippet. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Lovely write up.
    We also have an extensive extended family and enjoy long train rides. In fact after my husband's retirement we prefer to travel by train - we carry our own food and at place we have relations, get nice hot food.
    Come to think of it, the best attraction of traveling by train is the food, most stations have their signature dishes and we look forward to get them.

1 person likes this.