The Law of Karma - Part 2

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Revathy,
    I beg to differ.
    What prompts us to do every act is our free will ! We cannot put the "blame" on God !
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. revathy45

revathy45 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitraji,
    When we say everything is 'God's Will',does it not then include our Act's& Doings?Also would it be bright to think or say that our every single Act is related to our past Karma,in the sense may be we say or do a particular thing because of our past Karma?
    I have read somewhere that everything is predetermined,that is, we are brought into this world for a certain purpose and every ACT of Ours is probably decided before we are born.
    Is it possible then by our Free Will to change any of this?
    Love,
    Revathy.

1 person likes this.
  3. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

Chitra you are so knowledgeable.What do you say of rituals and God.

4. Chitvish

Dear Lalitha,
    I accept your compliment with all humility, though I feel, it is not right at all.
    Well, rituals are more to develop self-discipline & reminders of our culture.
    For the explanation on God, please go through all my posts in this sub-forum
    as per the index
    Index - The Significant Unique Features Of Indian Culture
    You will understand. It is not possible to explain that in a reply post.
    Please go through each sub-heading in the order I have given.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Ashritha2008

Ashritha2008 New IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

My namaskarams to you. I have read many slokas in this religious forum and thankyou with all my heart.I'm a new joineee and i'm having time i'm going through some old posts and Law of Karma really caught my interest and your beautiful way of explaining it to the layperson is simply mindblowing. I cannot really put my appreciation down in mere words. I pray GOD to shower his blessings on you and count ourselves blessed to come in contact with such a nice person.

Chithra, i read both your posts and i completely believe in the Karma and your explanation has only made it clear to me. I have question for you please do reply when you find the time.

To quote your words from one of your replies "An action prescribed by the scriptures (called vihita karma) will produce punyam (so, rest assured, a dharmic action can never produce papam) whereas an action prohibited by the scriptures (nishiddha karma) will produce papam. In other words, the vihita karma produces punyam & nishiddha karma produces papam."

I would really love to know more in detail about actions prescribed in our scriptures which are deemed as dharmic and lead to punyam and those which are deemed bad and leads to paapam so that we can avoid such things in life.

Beacause i'm of the opinion that we in our mad quest of attaining things in this materialistic world unknowingly do many actions which might lead us to commit paapam. Please enlighten us more on this. I'm keen to know about the good and bad as written and laid down in our scriptures.

I would really consider myself fortunate if my queries are answered.

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you very much Chithra.

with due respects
    Ashritha

1 person likes this.
  6. Chitvish

Dear Ashritha,
    Thankyou for your nice words.
    You have raised a query beyond the scope of my ability to answer. I am not that well read; I am just a student of vedanta.
    I can just mention one simple example for punyam & papam:
    Punyam - it is our duty to look after our parents as long as they live.
    Any convincing reason, we give ourselves, to put them in an Old Age home is papam.

In our heart of hearts, we do not approve of many things we do, whatever excuses, call them reasons, we give ourselves.We blame circumstances, situations etc.Your heart gives you the best answer whether what you do is punyam or papam.
    Please read Deivathin Kural, many parts by Paramacharyal. Many of your doubts will be cleared.
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ashritha2008

Ashritha2008 New IL'ite

Dear Chithra, i'm pleasantly surprised at your prompt answer. And you know what you have answered the very specific question for which i was searching an answer.
    Just to give you a brief (though it might not concern you) i had given this same answer in one of the forums (relationship with inlaws) that looking after parents/inlaws is our moral duty and money is not an excuse. But i got chided for being idealistic and girl with lofty ideals and hotair and nothing concrete. I was dejected, for i firmly believed that it is our duty and it'll lead to paapam but dare not say this in that forum. But my mind was in turmoil, i wanted someone to reassure me of my thinking.

I cannot but thank GOD in answering my qustion that too through an apt and appropriate person like you. Thank you chithra madam.

I'm very much thrilled at seeing all the topics in the hindu culture and i really appreciate your humungous effort you take in doing us all a service like this. Its like i found a treasure trove. Sure am going to get rich. and i'm happy beyond words.

Chithra, please do let us know answers if in due course of your learning you happen to learn them. Also, 'Deivathin kural, parts of paramacharyal' is this a holy book in tamil?? forgive me for being so ignorant and pls do guide me. I do not know tamil. But i very much want to read them and understand. I consider you as my guiding beacon in my quest to know spiritual life and understand the same.

Thankyou very much.

Regards
    Ashritha

8. Chitvish

Dear Ashritha,
    Yes, deivathin kural (7 parts) is in tamil.
    The nearest English book, I can suggest is
    Hindu Dharma
    The Universal way of life
    published by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. You may buy it online. Most of it is the translation of the above book.
    Thankyou for your nice, appreciative words.I thank God profusely & direct your praise to Him. I only believe in
    Thy will be done.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Ashritha2008

Ashritha2008 New IL'ite

Thank You Chithra...

Hi Chithra, thanks for giving me the reference book title...will sure buy it. Also I have started taking the vedanta lessons from your other posts.

I really feel good when you take pains and effort to answer all our significant and not so insignificants answers.

Once again thank you very much.

Cheers
    Ashritha

10. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Chithra madam

just now in another thread I had posted how I am feeling about god testing me and why is it that some people suffer alot..now I understand....hope my sins get cleansed....and I follow the right path to lead a happy life in future...thank you again for such a wonderful explanation