1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Irresistible Toy

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ragini
    There is the other side to it too
    If everyone is satisfied with what he has conquered, there will still be a million peaks remaining unconquered!
    But this question of 'losing interest' appears a bit complex and needs to be studied in depth!
    Whatever has happened to Lord Tennyson's famous words,
    'To strive, to seek, to find but not to yield'? Were they not attributed to Ulysses, the greatest of all men of his times?
    Sri

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

May be there has been more historical male figures & so because of the popularity we may think only males feel the need to conquer new worlds. With changing times & women trying to top in every field possible I feel women & men both see an urge to conquer & don't see an immediate end to their conquest either. But ain't that what keeps us on top of everything like better inventions, more progress, more power.

As with everything its also a personality trait for people who want to be laid back can't make it higher up in the ladder. But then if we all had peace then would we ever meditate on God??

3. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    In the days of yore when it was a question of survival of the fittest and the fittest related only to the physical aspect, men ruled the word and the women ruled them! When the question of survival became a question of not just the brawn but the brain as well, women slowly emerged as a competitor to men. Today's women give the men a run for their money and it has clearly become a level-playing field! All is well.
    Laid back approach never interests me. People with such an approach just live on the efforts of achievers.
    Sri

4. arshi1611

arshi1611 New IL'ite

hello sir,
    very nice post.I've been reading ur posts regularly and i must say that u have a beautiful style of writing where u bring out the matter in such an interesting and light hearted way.Its a gift that most of us do not have u know as its very difficult to make others smile through writing which u do most of the times.
    :wave

5. slgayatri

slgayatri Bronze IL'ite

Hello Sir
    Good Morning...
    This is a smart story.... Not only that child, every human being will behave like that. We'll be struggling hard to get what we wanted, but once we get it, it's value will come down drastically... I mentioned this only about some things or goodies..... This is not related with the goals and dreams of a person which came true. In that case, we'll be very happy to achieve it. Thats the difference.
    Nice write-up!

Gayathri.

6. Cheeniya

Dear Arshi
    did you see the Quote in the Metroplus Supplement of The Hindu today?
    Five senses are nothing without the sixth, Humour!
    There is a lighter side to everything that happens in our lives and if we deveop the skill to seek it out, we will have enough power to cope with stressful situations.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear slgayathri
    A cowherd was sleeping soundly under a banyan tree at noon when his cows were grazing lazily nearby. A learned man came that side and woke up the cowherd and the following was their discussion:
    Cowherd: (Angrily) what do you want? Why did you wake me up?
    Learned man: Is it not a crime to sleep at day time like this?
    CH: Why? How does it affect you?
    LM: It doesnt affect me but your own personal fortune. Dont you realise that instead of sleeping if you spent that time in productive labour, you would earn enough money?
    CH: Then?
    LM: Thus you can go on adding to your existing number of cows?
    LM: You will have more milk production. Your wealth will increase
    LM:You will become the biggest farm owner. You will earn enough fame and power.
    LM: You will have no worry at all. You can sleep peacefully.
    CH: Did you wake me to tell me that I can sleep peacefully? Didnt you see I was doing it already?
    Different strokes!
    Sri

8. slgayatri

slgayatri Bronze IL'ite

Sri
    Thats very funny!
    I read the same type of story...
    we can't predict what people will do.... This is a good example.

Gayathri.:mrgreen:

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear cheeniya si,
    lovely post that set me thinking...and glad to say that i would have been like that kid till some years back (haha can i really say i have GROWN up NOW and i am NOT talking about toys or the latest materialistic posession) but not anymore.....nowadays take life as it comes never overexcited at the good or terribly depressed with the bad news...a large part of it is due to my reading of great works like yours in IL......
    and what is this humility about not being able to write a crow and fox story after having such an ardent fan following in IL?...
    Mindi

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya
    As usual wonderful post. you are right in some point or the other all of us are irresistible for something or the other but once we have it we don't feel much important about it.
    You can remember Ravan in Ramayana wanted to conquer the whole world and did so many penance to get all sorts of boons from Bharma and Vishu, even after getting everything in life what happened to him non of his weapons were useful to him and he was not satisfied.
    In the same manner we all are when we don't have something in life we go behind it until we get it, and once we get it no value to it whether it is of use or no we never thing of it before getting it.