The Importance of Tulsi

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 18, 2007.

1. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Re: Memories

Dear Chitra Madam

Your Tulasi Slokas reminds me of my child hood days.....I used to hear these verses when I wake up.......my mother would be chanting them and hence even I know them without seeing(though I never recite it).......Thanks for posting the same an rekindling the memories .........

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    Sorry for coming in late.....yesterday was preoccupied since there was a big storm passing through and i was half the time praying that Rosh and Vijay will reach home safely ! They did of course, and they were just laughing at me and saying that i was Over Reacting! Today with a calm peaceful mind i came to IL and was hunting for ur thursdays post!
    what a lovely post! I managed this year to borrow a small cutting of Thulasi from my sister and brought it here and planted in a small pot. It was growing nicely...but since i was out for more than 10 days, no one to water, it seems to have wilted...i a hoping to revive it. I have kept it on my kitchenwindow sill and look at it everyday! If it revives , then i will start off with the slokams.....these small things make us feel so much at home in this otherwise alien country!
    Thanks once again,

3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the Tulsi information. I have one here and it grows nicely..Actually it was planted by my neighbour , when she left I took care of it..Now it has kutty plants!:-D

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akhila !

Tulsi is so much part of our day to day life - your post only proves it !
    Thankyou for the F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

My dear Sudha !

Please do not apologise for a late entry - you make me feel as if I am taking attendance in a class room, Sudha !
    I can imagine how anxious you would have become on hearing about a storm crossing, when the loved ones are away from home.
    I too hope & pray, your tulsi plant revives - it will be worth all the trouble you took to bring it all the way from India !
    Thanks for joining us, Sudha !
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

My dear Seena !

It is very nice hearing from you. Once the kutti plants sprout, they will grow quite bushy & healthy.
    Thankyou for your post, Seena !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    I too remembered my childhood days, when my mother would insist that I do the Tulsi pooja and chant the slokam you have given. I could recite it even now, memorising in young age always remains in our memory.
    The post is very nice, thank you.
    Tulsi plant also prevents the poisonous and dangerous insects and reptiles from entering the home.

8. Chitvish

My dear Varloo !

Everybody becomes nostaligic - I think, we must give our children the same experience !
    Thanks for the F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. kb2000

kb2000 Bronze IL'ite

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  10. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Refreshing Tulasi mahima

Dear Chitra,
    I had been to Chennai and returned only today morning. I saw your description of Tulasi as soon as I came.:) Excellent as usual!
    As Varloo said, in Kerala people grow tulasi in their garden to keep away snakes. I heard the following things recently.Don't know how true these are.
    By convention, the Tulsi Leaf is not offered to Shiva, just as Bel(vilwam) Leaves, dear to Shiva, are not offered to Vishnu. Tulsi leaves are also not offered to Goddess Lakshmi as she was once annoyed during her love-sport with Vishnu, when his attention got diverted towards Tulsi.Do you follow these Chitra?
    Light green leaves are called Rama Tulsi and Dark ones Krishna Tulasi.This is a famous stoy:
    The story of Lord Krishna has it that when Krishna was weighed in gold, not even all the ornaments of Satyabhama could outweigh him. But a single Tulsi leaf placed by Rukmini on the pan tilted the scale showing her true love for Krishna.
    After seeing the scientific and medicinal effects of Tulasi, I am sure many will start growing Tulasi plant:)
    :wave
    Meena