1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The (im)purity of having your period...I just don't get it

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Bubbles25, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

CM like it very much. may your tribe increase...

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Yeah shanvy
    It is so shocking and I thought it was very embarrassing for the girls but here on IL only few members told that many girls enjoy it and love the attention they get!
    I found this whole concept of telling the world about puberty and then isolating the girls in their periods as shocking!

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

You want to do it, do it on a very low scale at home baba, but not in a marriage hall, with a big poster, hoarding saying welcome to the puberty ceremony of XXXX..(Manjal neeratu vizha). i feel so embarassed thinking about the girl when i cross such poster/hoarding. people want to have a celebration and don't mind this. agreed it is a milestone in your daughter's life, but the publicising it a big thumbs down..

6 people like this.
  4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy:
    Should that puberty ceremony be embarrassing? Even this is a question as shouldn't first menses be an event of maturation and something to be proud of? I think historically advent of fertility was a very important and joyous event but somehow it has been degraded in modern day. Menses should be a normal event like eating, drinking, sleeping, etc. so there should be no embarrassment.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

tina,

i agree it was a moment to be proud of. i am thinking of the embarassment of the child who has to sit there, amidst strangers and classmates. i also feel happy for the milestone if it is amidst our closed ones. Earlier, it was amidst close members. mostly everybody stayed in the same place or a little far off to each other. these were the ocassions for all family members to gather and enjoy. just like the first birthday, the ear piercing, the puberty function was celebrated and the maternal uncle had to give lot of gifts. few girls used to go to school after attaining puberty.

Today they start menarch at as young as 8, they have no idea of what is happening in their body. they have to sit in front of so many people, publicised. do you think it is safe..i recently saw a 8 year old's function being celebrated. maybe i should have said pain instead of embarassment....

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    Just ignore ... n get on with what you got to do...
    On second thoughts you can relax those 5 days from kitchen duty too let your Dh cook bcs cooking is also not allowed rt thern if he learns his lesson good if not think it as 5 day earned leaves n relax with a book or watch movies...

2 people like this.
  7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy:
    Yes I understood your point about the embarrassment now but I was talking more in an ideal situation. Interestingly I heard a doctor who has pinpointed the reason for the early menarch and this is worldwide (!!). She was saying that girls on average worldwide are beginning their periods one year earlier than only ten years ago. It is not country specific but a worldwide problem. The reason is our use of plastics for storing food. The plastic, being an amorphous substance, deposits molecules of the plastic in the contents of the container and then these are ingested (obviously on a small scale over time). The plastic is seen by the body as estrogen (it is not just one but a number of plastics that act in this way) and so earlier maturation starts. We are all talking about what this is doing to young girls as the earlier breast development is obvious but what I wonder is what is all this doing to the boys and men??

8. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

I still don't understand why it should be an embarrassment. Isn,t it a natural biological process for all women on this planet. What is there to be embarrassed upon. If there is something to be embarrassed then it is the mindset of the people.

how does the puberty function affect the safety of the girl?

sorry shanvy - I love all of your posts but don't know why this isn,t making sense to me

9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Riya
    here i would support what shanvy had to say.Its more of an embarrassment.
    If i was that teenager my thoughts would be "its my body thats undergoing changes and i dont want the whole world to know about it."

5 people like this.
  10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I'm guessing this is very personal to every woman. Speaking for myself, I would have died of shame and embarrassment if this had been foisted upon me at that age. No one made me feel this way (I grew up in a very liberal environment), but it's pretty much how most girls I know feel about their periods being PUBLICIZED. When you're at that age, everything is pretty much a life and death issue (the drama and angst of being a teen/pre-teen). Sometimes I wouldn't want to go out if my hair wasn't setting in exactly the right way. I definitely wouldn't have wanted the whole world and its uncle knowing that I just got my period.

Theoretically, yes, we should all be very proud and happy when it happens. But it is a personal matter. So I'm with Shanvy on this one. I guess if there was some choice in the matter, it wouldn't be an issue. Does anyone ask the girl if she wants to have a big party for this, or is it compulsory? Maybe there are some women on this thread who were bold and confident enough, at that age, to "come out" to the world as a woman, and enjoy a big function to celebrate the onset of menstruation. Anyone?

5 people like this.