The Homeless Person Conundrum?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Thoughtful, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I run across homeless people often these days. I get approached for money. Even a dollar. The question I have is, should I give it to them?

If I get approached for food, I buy them food from time to time.

What do you all do or what do you think is the right thing to do.

2. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

I prefer to gift restaurant gift cards rather than giving money. My husband is cautious about providing cash, as he worries it might be used for purposes like drugs

3. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

When we landed in USA, it was just after Houston hurricane Harvey, which caused highest percentage of losses due to property damage. People who lost their homes and job were seen with sign boards on traffic, Walmart parking, everywhere. But many warned us, not to give them money as we don’t know who are junkies and who are genuine. The first time I realized how the real USA is different from the one I had in mind ( mostly from movies)!!

Once we just finished shopping in Walmart and came out to the parking space, an old man approached us requesting money, even a dollar ! He said he just lost his house, job and kids are hungry. The agony I saw in his face was real and painful to watch. I asked him if we can give him some basic stuff to eat. He instantly said yes, and we gave him milk, bread,eggs, snacks and some fruits. He kept saying God bless your family and the gratitude I saw in his eyes was something I cannot forget.

Thyagarajan, Thoughtful and Rihana like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Tear gathering.
    God Bless.
    In Tamil there is a saying "Understand the mendicants before you grant or hand them help cash or kind"
    (பாத்திரம் அறிந்து பிச்சை இடு).
    Begging profession also used for clandestine operations.

Detectives & terrorists too wear the mendicant's cap to observe a spot for a period to design further plans.

A fake blind-beggar, looking famished sqatting near a plaza fountain in rush hour traffic with a thick white bath-towel spread Infront, was crying for alms. Passerby drop a cent or two on the towel. When towel filled with lots of coins and notes, one able guy attempted to take away the towel with that cash.

When the beggar instantly opened his eyes and grabbed the pistol hidden under the towel, the towel snatcher dropped it and took to his heels.
    While driving stopped the car near a traffic island when signal turned from amber to red. A haggard lady carrying an infant rushed to car window tapped the glass and asked for alms. My spouse downing the glass told her that she needs permanent domestic help and whether she could join. She immediately shifted to another car behind us.
    Such is the lucrative world of beggars!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Thoughtful likes this.
  5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Thank you for sharing that. I would worry about them getting alcohol with the gift card. But I appreciate the intent.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I appreciate your kind act. Like @Thyagarajan said, tear gather. We can see the old man's gratitude through your words. Nicely said.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your feedback Sir.