1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Gizmo for Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by navs23, Jun 16, 2011.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

I love to walk, walk while on the phone, walk while reading, just walk around the house, I simply love to walk. For the amount of walking that I do everyday, my neighbors downstairs probably think we have elephants for our pets, what's with all the thumpppp noise :bonk

One day, some one suggested a Pedometer. Well, you do walk so much, so why not walk with a Pedometer, at least that way you know exactly how much you had walked :goodidea:. I ran to my favorite google buddy and typed in 'best pedometer'. The ever smart google threw a million results at me, go figure :confused2: I click at one web site to see a huge array of pedometers on sale. Apparently Pedometers can not only count the steps, they can also count calories, fat burned, distance walked(GPS is another feature), heart rate, walking pace and what not. Wow, that's a whole lot of fancy devices put together(why do I remember a doctor's office??) I look at each Pedometer with awe and wonder. In addition to the variety, there were a million reviews, where every Tom, Dick and Harry had a say. Every Pedometer has been raved about and thrashed about and I am left all the more confused. So, after much research, I narrowed upon a simple basic pedometer(which also costed much less than its modern techie counterparts), which does nothing but count steps :exactly:

aban906l.jpg

The Pedometer arrived and I waited to start using it on an auspicious day. Of course weight loss is a big event and one needs to start off at the right time. I wear the Pedometer and with a huge smile, take my first step. Everything appears to be going well until I hear the clickety click sound for every step that I take. I look around and realize it is my Pedometer registering my step, with a clickety click confirmation. I open the lid, reset the counter, shake it a few times and try it again. It still keeps clicking. After the million times that I opened the lid to see if it had registered my steps properly, maybe it got really annoyed. Not that it bothers me. When I walk on my own, my mind is busy at work and my brilliant ideas drown everything around :idea. When I walk with some one, my non stop chattering is loud enough to drown much more than the small clickety click :biggrin2:. So, it works for me one way or the other. It has another wonderful use too. The strange weird clickety click, warns people ahead and makes them scatter as I come near. I do not have to move around to make way for the others you see :cheers

It is so hard to stay away from my google buddy and unable to contain myself, I type in 'how to best use a pedometer'. A million hits again, but this time,most of them point towards the 10,000 steps a day plan for weight loss. 10,000 steps a day? Wow, that's huge even for a 'love to walk' person like me. I try to find some loop holes/excuses and happen to see that 6,000 steps a day is still good enough for weight loss :wow. So, I decide to start, slow and steady and take it further. Now, how do I really achieve 6,000 steps on a single day? By walking more often of course. I plan to get up from the couch every 20 minutes and walk around the house for 2-3 minutes, that way I do not get into my secret naps (if hubby asks, well, I just had my eyes closed for a few minutes to recollect my thoughts, I did not sleep!). Keep the remote right next to the television and walk to switch channels(I remember a friend once telling us, what's with keeping the remote right next to the television, it is a 'remote' for god's sake). Patrol inside the house, making sure everything is in it's own place and re arrange things every now and then. Strictly follow the 'Idea''s idea of 'walk and talk'. Trust me, you can easily put in a thousand steps just by talking and let the legs do the work. Walk up to the window and peep out to watch the trees, flowers, who is going in/coming out of neighbor's house, how many cars pass by etc. If I am lucky, I might even see the neighbor lady peeping out and wave at me. There are a hundred excuses to thump sorry walk around the house and improve my steps(and also make the neighbors go crazy, sorry neighbors) and a hundred more to walk outside, especially on a bright sunny day :yes:

So, if I am not writing as often or not visiting my favorite snippets as often, please know that I might be walking with my favorite P, trying to achieve the magic 6000 steps, until I eventually tire out and happily come back to the Indus wonderland :2thumbsup:

walk-cartoon2.jpg

Pictures courtesy: Google Images and Cartoonstock.com

4 people like this.

2. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

nice post navs. :biglaugh

as of today i do not need this wonder (?) gizmo. but u never know when i might need one. so, an informative post. well, so long then....

3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the first feedback Poornima, I am so glad you liked it :)
    I started to use one only recently and it really makes me walk more, nothing like the thrill of opening the screen and seeing a big number :)

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thumping good wishes for your new pedometric programme. Let us hope that the pedometer is made to pay well for its keep. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:cheers:cheers:cheers

5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Ha ha, thank you so much for the thumping wishes Satchi :cheers
    So far, going good, hope to make the best use of this powerful little gizmo :)

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Navs. I admire your determination and enthusiasm in your new “stride”. Wishing you and your pedometer a joyful partnership as you both “walk” through 10,000 steps every day! I must admit feeling guilty; but I’ll stick to my “lavanya thailam”:hide:

7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much Kamala for the wonderful wishes,the Pedo has indeed become my best partner in this herculean task :) Whatever be the means/way Pedo or Lavana Thailam, here's three :cheers for us to achieve the end result soon :thumbsup

8. meerajesh59

meerajesh59 Gold IL'ite

Navs, All the best for your journey with Mr.P.

Me too travelling in weight loss journey. First thing I did is, I stopped the Milk man. Every evening, I have to (must) go for a walk to buy next day's milk. Otherwise, No coffee next day. :crazy This makes my walking compulsory.

9. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Wow !!!!!! You write so nicely navs !!!!!!

Had a good laugh reading your lines carrying an enormous weight of humour !!!!!:cheers
    ALL THE BEST DEAR NAVS !!!!

By the way how much does it cost ???? I want to buy one gizmo too..... seems like it makes us feel guilty if we sit even for a minute or two...:rotfl

Do share this in blog section too....

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navs
    Sometime around the early ‘60s, we had the pleasure of witnessing a marvelous movie titled ‘Hatari’. It was a kind of African safari that gladdened the hearts of young and old alike. I was just out of my teens then and I vividly remember cutting our classes to see this movie in the only air-conditioned theater in Chennai those days called Minerva. The movie had a song called ‘The Baby Elephant Walk’ tuned by the inimitable Henry Mancini who is famous for his Pink Panther theme music. Whenever a fat person walked in the road, the youngsters around him used to sing this tune in chorus. To be frank with you, I was also a bit on the heavier side in my young days and attracted this tune. When I read how your neighbors suspected you of having elephants as pets due to all the racket you created with your walking around the house, my mind travelled back by about 50 years!

I know a few Marina walkers in Chennai who wear their pedometer like a fare meter in a rickety autorickshaw which never works. These persons do not talk while they walk, not because they have nothing to say or for the fear of losing their breath but because they count their steps mentally to see if their pedometer works correctly at every kilometer. I often wish we had a gadget similar to a pedometer to count our blessings whenever we feel low. My overweight never bothers me because it has been with me for close to 69 years. I also have no interest in knowing how far I go when I walk because I measure my walk by its duration. But , if I have a gadget that can measure how far I go when I deal with people and caution me when I tend to go overboard that would be a great help. At my age, my physical fitness is not half as important as my moral fitness!
    Sri