1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The frustration of Being Copied!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by catchaparna, Aug 4, 2015.

1. catchaparna

catchaparna New IL'ite

Hi, I have a co-sis who constantly copies whatever I wear, jackets, my style, everything. Even places where my husband and I holiday, hotels we stay ( even the same view/ room). So much so that she even cut her hair absolutely just like mine , she has never even trimmed her hair before ( at least the last 5 yrs I have known her).

This is is absolutely annoying and frustrating beyond. I have digged into psychology forums and they say people who are low in self- esteem do that. But whatever, I have never brought up this point with her or my husband just because he considers my BIL and her as Gods.

how do I ignore because I love LOVE to be unique, have my own sense of whatever. This is like intrusion.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

You can spend countless hours digging psych forums, but the end result is you cannot prevent the copying, because you cant prevent someone from buying something or getting a haircut etc. I know people will post here saying "Imitation is best form of flattery" so "think that you are good" etc.

My point is - you are neither great because she copied, nor are you ordinary because she copied. Life has many more important things to focus on.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Just focus on living well and enjoying your life.
    Why bother what others do as long as it doesn't affect you?

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I can understand how irritating it can be.

She probably feels u are better and wants to show off that she is no less.

only two ways to end this:

1) wear styles which can suit only ur body type and not hers.for eg:u may have a better figure.wesr fitted clothes ,u can show off and she will seethe in anger knowing she cannot look like u.however,is this wat u want?it is emotionally draining for both of u.

2)Accept urself for who u are and enjoy ur style.how many years can she compete.it will stop eventually.

1 person likes this.
  5. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

i don't think you can do anything to stop her. How does she get her information from. do you guys live together ? Is it is social media then you might want to step back. share less.

sindmani and sheztheone like this.
  6. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

You should feel proud that she loves your style so much that she copies everything. Take that as a big compliment.
    As for being unique, keep changing something or other very frequently not giving her chance to copy it. Even the way you wear your hair or some accessories could make a lot of difference to your look.
    Also drop some comments here and there in front of your DH like hey I have same dress, your haircut looks just like mine now. I've had this style for months. Suits you too. I'm glad you like this too.

2 people like this.
  7. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

I would say the opposite. SHARE MORE.

1. The next time you buy something, tell her the name of the shop, its cost, style everything, and say, "You always like what I buy, so you could buy this too! "

2. Tell her "This haircut would go well with a sweetheart neckline, see that pic of mine, you should buy the same. "

3. Come back from a vacation and tell her, "Room 213 is really bad okay, it was towards the freeway..when (NOT IF) you go there, chose 242, opposite side, and better sleep."

4. Back from a restaurant, "I left my sunglasses at that restaurant when we went for lunch. WHEN you go, could you pick it up for me please? I called them to let them know that you will anyway be having lunch there soon."

5. "I have a coupon for this shop for the next visit. Would you like to use it?? You could get the same things I got at a cheaper price! "

She should be out of breath trying to catch up with you! The moment you ASK her to copy you, she may not WANT to!!

10 people like this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I doubt whether it is her psychology problem or yours? Why bother too much time in psychology forum for such a small stupid thing?

After all, none of our hair style or fashion is owned by us. It is an imitation from the famous actress, models or creators. We did not invent anything new, right?

Feel proud that someone is following you, someone is copying you. It means, they admire you and love the way you live. It is indeed a special gift. Why not take it with a positive vibe?

In fact, wanting to be unique in a way too much is a problem.

My colleagues, friends and some cousins follow the way I live. Starting from how I've straightened my hair, the cream I apply to what career I am in. They just simply attempt to be just like me. But eventually they will find their own unique style, which may be different from mine. What is the problem. In fact, I am happy that I have impressed them somehow.

Also, to be frank... I've tried to copy one of my senior in everything I did a decade back.
    I really liked her, and I really wanted to be like her only. She was my role model. But as time goes by, I've found where I am good at, and what are our differences. By that time, I've reached upto a great level of confidence to start living on my own, and impressing others towards me. This is life. You don't own your style completely, it is rather influenced by something or someone until you reach a point where you may call it unique.

Be generous.

9. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Dear op,

I grew up with a cousin who had this irritating habit of copying everything from my hobbies,interests ,clothes &style.If its good she wanted that as part of her.Even when i started collecting diff types of leaves & flowers .....she followed me and fight with me to hand over some from my collection.......dragging elders into the mess to make me part with some of my collection.This competeing nature used to irritate me to no end ....like always looking into you,even trying( she is not interested to read)to read the same books.....searching to buy the same clothes i own......copying all my hair style.
    But most of the time her interest would ween off as its originally my way of doing things......she would get tired of following me after some time.So rest assured that your co-sister would grew tired of copying you.Keep your dh in loop next time like when you go for a new hairstyle or new style of clothes......you need company to enjoy the funny side of this problem.

1 person likes this.
  10. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

learn to keep secrets.Do few things which you know she wont able to do.It could be anything like swimming,taking part in marathon.
    Dont take husband with you for shopping ,if he is the one who is passing on your secrets.