1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The EXPERT DOCTOR Answers The Most Oft Asked Baby Questions

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by aditibose78, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

thank u catgol for info..
    i m trying the max to avoid the pacifier...

2. arhtivap

arhtivap Junior IL'ite

Hi aditi....good compilation . :)
    my daughter is going to be 15 months old and weighs around 8 kg....she eats normally and is very active.....However she doesn't meet the weight requirements for her age...is there any way to improve her weight gain.....

3. aditibose78

aditibose78 Silver IL'ite

Hey ladies,

Here are the answers for batch 2 questions. I wold look forward to your responses on the same.

1. How soon should infants be given a bath after birth?
    Usually babies are given a wash just after birth or latest within 10-12 hours post birth. So once you return home with your child, you can start a bath routine. However, its better to give a sponge with a soft towel for a week till the cord is dry enough and is ready to fall off. Else cord infections cold be caused if it remains wet.

2. How soon can an infant be given an oil massage?
    An infant can be given an oil massage soon after birth. However keep the strokes very soft and use less quantity of oil. Sweet almond oil works well for infants.

3. Is smelly poo a sign of infection?
    An exclusively breast fed baby with no solid food intake has poo which is almost odorless. However, for those who are given formula feed, some smell is normal. It could be a sign of infection only if the poo really stinks. Usually the consistency of the poo becomes very liquid then and the child has temperature too. its best to call the doctor then.

4. How much milk should be given to a year old baby?
    A year old baby should be given whole fat milk of around 20-24 ounces. However, at this age, make sure that he is having his meals that are rich in both calcium and iron.

5. Why does a child who is otherwise talkative, not participate in school?
    Every child takes some time to open up to a new environment and it is alright to feel a little shy. Keep encouraging her and keep talking to her about school and its benefits. It should definitely subside in no time as she begins to get comfortable with the new environment.

6. Why does a child's nose get blocked during feeding?
    pediatric nasal spray will give relief. You could also try and feed in a more upright position.

7. At what age should a baby begin to walk?
    The first few supported steps happens by the age of one and babies begin to walk well by the time they are 1.5 years. However, don't get worried because some walk later too. However, if the child cannot walk well by the age of 2 years then its reccomended to speak to the doctor.

8. How much sleep should a 3 years old baby get?
    Children between 1-3 years of age should ideally get 12-15 hours of sleep and those beyond need around 10-12 hours.

9. Can glucose be used instead of sugar in the baby's food?
    Children need very little amount of sugar and it is best is to give your child child food with naturally occurring sugar like fruits, vegetables and milk.

10. What is the best soap for babies?
    Use well known branded baby skincare products only. Babywashes from known brands do not contain any chemicals, dyes, perfumes etc and are best on an infant's skin. Else, use a soap that is mild and does not later up well.

I hope these answers will help all you mothers out there.

Please feel free to write in and share your thoughts and any further queries that you might have. Answers to a few more pending questions will be up shortly.

4. aditibose78

5. Padmakonar

Padmakonar New IL'ite

My question is my child is 10 and half month old. She has flat head on her left back of her head. Will it go automatically. Pls advice.

6. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

Hi Aditi,
    I like this thread very much. My baby is 6 months old. some of my friends say we can introduce bread , rusks dipped in milk. otherwise she has started eating fruit purees, porridge, etc along with breast milk. I would like to know whether we can start giving bread rusks etc now. Her weight is 7.2 Kg.( birth weight- 3.040). i also want to know whether it's over weight / correct for her Age.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Vidyavisu.

7. queenie3

queenie3 Silver IL'ite

Wow.. such an interesting thread.

My Baby is 6 months old.. and i too have few questions...

* Pets(esp Dogs) are harmfull for the babies and how??

* If anyone suffering with Asthama.. Cold.. Cough.. or any such allergies.. will it really harm or infect babies...?? Elders say that if babies are exposed to such things they develop immunity.. if kept too much with precaution than they i'll not be able to handle all this once they grow( here i mean precautions for babies upto 12 mnths or 18 mnths)

* Outside baby food (Nestum.. Cerelac... Gerber... Heinz) are they good for babies.. or we should really avoid them...??

Thanks...
    Avi...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  8. aditibose78

Hey Mommies!

I have been keeping a note on all the new questions that have been coming in. We will be getting them answered in a week or so. :)

9. doors

doors Gold IL'ite

Please do add my question too:

--> Is drooling after 18 months a bit no no or some sign of abnormality?

--> My child sleeps with his mouth open ..what might be the reason? I dont hear any snoring though.

10. aditibose78

Good Morning Mommies!

I am temporarily closing this thread as we already have quite a few questions for the doctor to answer. Let these be answered first and thereafter more can keep coming in.

Please have some patience and we will be back with all the replies very soon.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.