1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The end of the world in retrospect

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anita
    I do not know what would be the Mayanic equivalent of Vadivelu's polambal but I have no doubt that he too would have said it. After all, polambal transcends all linguistic barriers!
    Nice to hear that you enjoyed this snippet. It is nicer that we are all alive to share a joke about Mayans!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    Doctors are all bound by the Hippocrates Oath that 'All that may come to my knowledge in the exercise of my profession or in daily commerce with men, which ought not to be spread abroad, I will keep secret and will never reveal'. It is in pursuance of this oath, they have developed a style of writing which might appear like Da Vinci Code to us. In fact, my family doctor's prescriptions always appear as if a large ant had traversed it hurriedly with its feet soaked in ink! But when I give it to my pharmacist, he would produce the products with lightening speed! This could be one of the reasons why most of the Doctors get married to Doctors these days. Only they can decipher the contents of their mushy letters to each other!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  3. Cheeniya

My dear Kamala
    Your last sentence makes me feel so good and happy that I cease to bother about anything happening to this earth through the marauding rogue planets. What if this rogue planet got waylaid by a more intimidating planet and would still keep its appointment with earth albeit a few days/months/years later? I'll probably write another thread and look for a similar word from you!

Talking of Dr.Ramanujam, did you see the Google's doodle on him yesterday being his 125th Birthday? The best part of the Doodle was that while he was working on some complicated theorem on the ground with a piece of chalk, boys and girls of his peerage are seen playing skipping, football and the like so common to his age group. It was a very endearing doodle and I loved it.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear CS
    Nice to read your view point on Mayan calender. Was not aware that it was misread which cause havoc in some of the people and some having wild views.
    My son was like I don't have to study any further....hahaha
    and on 22nd itself he had an exam. :)

2 people like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir
    I sincerely hope we don't have to wait another earth shattering event (pun unintended) to happen to read a snippet by you.

Yes sir, that doodle was so good. I admire the brilliance of the artist to capture so many messages in that one picture: Dr. Ramanujam's genius, his interest, and his humble beginnings.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Thanks to Aruna, I came to know that you wrote about the Mayan Calendar ending on December 21, 2012 and its effect in your column. Without knowing that, I wrote a post called, "Morning after" and after reading yours I came to the conclusion your post is remarkable and stands tall in front of what I wrote under the heading, "Morning after".

It is interesting to know that a friend spent time looking at the sky all night and someone withdrew all deposits from the bank and spent it on feeding the children. I hope your friend did not aggravate his spine and get Spondylitis in the process of looking for the planet that was going to crash into the earth. There was also a theory that the human consciousness will improve substantially after December 21, 2012. Perhaps, that prediction was made because of your other friend who decided to donate all his money to feed children.

It is interesting that you had mentioned the confusion was because of the handwriting of a lazy Mayan who existed several thousand years ago. It looks like even Chinese made the same mistake Mayans made. My question to you is whether zero existed 5,000 years ago?

Anyhow, we all exist much after the dooms day. If you and Kamla were hoping that you don't have to review all nominated posts for the month of December 2012, Mayans were to be blamed. In my heart, I know you both enjoy doing it and I was just kidding.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  7. Cheeniya

My dear Viswa
    It is blasphemous to say that my thread stands tall in front of yours! We have just presented our views in a perspective that is typical of each of us. I do not think it is fair to attempt a comparison. Not even the classic statement of George Orwell that 'All are equal but some or more equal than others' would apply to us.

My neighbour is perfectly ok though he continues to be a bit sore about the Mayan who took him for a ride. As far as the benevolent chap who gave away his money to feed his fellow citizens, there is no further news about him in Dinakaran, a juicy paper that I never fail to read. He must probably busy earning back all that money again.

If zero did not exist at the time that the Mayan calendar was compiled, their descendant's objection becomes a lot more valid. My only satisfaction is that the Vedic calendar did not fall into this trap and according to it, the end of the world is far, far away. If you want it in K.Balachander's style, 'Far far away, so far away, nobody can say how far away!'

The only worry that Kamla and I had about the whole thing was that our valuable partnership would cease abruptly when the world ended. Both of us love the FP activity most dearly!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  8. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I was fascinated by the overwhelming response of the world toward the explanation of the Mayan calender.

I did not see any reason to get hysterical by learning the news of the ending world.

I am sure God has modified our privileges of having free will once the world is ended at some point. I think HE would give all of us an option to reestablish our fate. Actually I was thrilled to celebrate the advanced strategies created by our super power.The interesting twist in the new world could have blossomed our souls to face distinctive challenges.

Love,
    Bhavna

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Dear Bhavna
    Hindus believe that human virtues tend to decline as the yugas progress. And when the virtues reach an all time low in Kaliyuga, the earth disintegrates and the new cycle starts. This is summarised well in Wikipedia thus:
    The ages see a gradual decline of dharma, wisdom, knowledge, intellectual capability, life span, emotional and physical strength.
    Satya Yuga:- Virtue reigns supreme. Human stature was 21 cubits. Average human lifespan was 100,000 years.
    Treta Yuga: - There was 3 quarter virtue & 1 quarter sin. Normal human stature was 14 cubits. Average human lifespan was 10,000 years.
    Dwapar Yuga: - There was 1 half virtue & 1 half sin. Normal human stature was 7 cubits. Average human lifespan was 1000 years.
    Kali Yuga: - There was 1 quarter virtue & 3 quarter sin. Normal human stature was 3.5 cubits. Average human lifespan will be 100 years. Towards the end of the Yuga this will come down to 20 years.

The only option that He gives us is to try and stay with the one quarter of virtuous people or fall in line with the rest and perish.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Interesting yarn it was, Cheeniya Sir. Enjoyed reading it.

So what if the world ends
    Tomorrow or day after?
    Why can't I put an end
    To my one bad habit rather?

Making heaven a hell now,
    We complain its not good.
    Restoring mother earth now
    Sounds much better than good.

There is nothing to lose anew
    Most of us lost what we had
    Be it health or rare thoughts few.
    Lets find them again to be glad.