1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Critical Stages of a Lawyer's Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Navaljee, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

[​IMG]

FIRST STAGE

In those days I was a novice among the crowd of lawyers. My collegues, the men with hidden smile and greying hair, and the women with hidden smile and dyed hair, were yet a decipherable lot for me. And as they all remained wrapped in black outfits, I was unable to identify them as either friends or foes. My heart was sinking on thinking that I was to be opponents to all those ladies and gentlemen in blacks.

My well-furnished office and the books, evething purchased from my hard savings, were yet to see the face of first client. At the end of first week I had one. He must have been sent by one of my friends.

He was a man of twenty-five, and looked as a young man in despair would look: staring at everything, eyes unblinking, and the perspiration irregular.

Before he settled in a chair, before I asked him anything about his legal purpose, he spoke hurriedly, “Sir, I want divorce from my wife. Can you help me?”

[​IMG]

At the moment I felt as if I am a grocery trader and the ‘Divorce’ was on my selling list.

After gulping a full glass of water he belched his story. It was short and partly unbelievable. He said he really did not know why he was living with his wife. An usual husband and wife tussle.

From his talks I could gather that the guy had a wrong upbringing. His parents were responsible for his line of thinking, perhaps. Being only issue of his parents when he demanded bicycle, his parents gave him; when he demanded bike, the parents gave him; when he demanded a wife, the parents gave him. Now he demanded divorce. He had no experience of hearing ‘no’.

The sum total of his demanding divorce was not very difficult to understand. As per his version of the story his marriage was travelling through the hell. But the simple issue was that his wife was serving in a private establishment and used to come late.

Mine was the first experience with a client seeking legal help. But the virtues of a good man were still in my heart, as I was an inexperienced lawyer. You know, the lawyers too have hearts. I decided to help the man in right manner. I talked with him for an hour or so and got him agreed to come after one week and that to along with his wife.

“Look, young man. I will try to settle your issue. Okay?” I assured him.

SECOND STAGE

The assured young man did not turned up for three months.

One day, at a certain corner of the city, while going to court, I saw him in a maternity hospital. A woman, visibly beautiful and seemingly wiser than the guy, was stepping down the staircase. He was helping her to climb down. They might have come for some check-ups, perhaps.

The young man recognized me from a distance. The black coat has its own advantages, too. But he simply smiled. I, too, simply smiled. The brief encounter ended with his broad smile.

THE STAGE OF HAPPINESS

One year passed.

It was a fine evening. I was with my wife, sitting on a garden bench. The bench was wooden and our faces were unpleasant for unknown reasons. We husband and wife hardly need a reason to be unhappy. So that was not an exceptional day.

I suddenly spotted that couple. The man who was desperately seeking divorce was looking happy beyond recognition. They were engaged with their child.

[​IMG]

(photos from web)

After a while they came at us. The man introduced me to his wife and told about when and why we had met first time. The young woman was more mature than her age. She talked with my wife and our unpleasantness too ran way.

When the couple went away I thought about the day when he came to meet me. Had I been greedy for my fees, had I encouraged the angry young man, the scene would have been unhappily different. The society would have been slightly poorer.

[​IMG]

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Navaljee This is really an incredible story!.. very rare too actually. For the love of money is the root of all evil.
    Well one person can always make a difference. This here is proof:)

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Navaljee,
    This shows that even when you wear your black coat, you have a human heart in dealing with cases...:hiya
    Glad to see the happy couple at the end and also the happy faces of you and your wife..:thumbsup

sriniketan

4. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Wow! Lovely blog Mr. Navaljee.

I am sure we can count the number of people who put happiness before money..

Good on you!

Regards,

Corallux

5. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

navaljee
    a beautiful real story, and handled so beautifully by you in practice and also in writing. :thumbsup
    i remember a girl(1) whose friend(2) was unhappy with her as she had other friends (3) who were telling that this girl(1) was being freindly with me and not giving attention to them(2):crazy. i really wanted to be friends with the (1) but still i went ahead to help her get back her friend(2) as i knew they both liked each other. the situation was a bit complex but in the end all was solved and till day i'm happy for what happened at thet time , and my concience is clear.
    and also that a person like you who would do that for a stranger will be a nice option to have as a friend.:)

6. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

From Navaljee To Ms. Anandchitra

Yes, we the lawyers really help people. We rescue them from the great difficulties. A lawyer is a gentleman who rescues his client's assets from his enemies and keeps it himself !!

Navaljee
    [​IMG]

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear navaljee,
    that was a good deed done by u...i am sure it must have given u great pleasure to see them as a family...nice of u to share it
    regards
    Mindi

8. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

From Navaljee to Ms. Sriniketan

Yes, I belong to the clan who is very much professional, too. You know, we care less for our life, too, when we are working. The incidence of one of our collegues given hereunder is a proof of that.

While in sky, there started trouble in a plane.Noticing he was having enginefault, the pilot instructed the crew to have the passengers take their seats and prepare for an emergency landing. A few moments later, the pilot asked the attendants if everyone was buckled in and ready.

"We're all set back here, Captain," an attendant replied. "Except for one lawyer who is still going around passing out his business cards."

Navaljee
    [​IMG]

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Navaljee,
    Ha ha ha...good joke..enjoyed even the FB to AC..

sriniketan

10. likemychai

likemychai New IL'ite

"We're all set back here, Captain," an attendant replied. "Except for one lawyer who is still going around passing out his business cards."

Haahaahaaaa, very good one indeed!
    A very good deed you have done as well - nice to read this post. I am happy to see an attorney not only with a conscience but a great sense of humor as well.
    I've worked as an assistant with many lawyers for some years now and can count on one hand only how many I have been privileged to know like yourself.
    Hats off to you sir!