1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Church Of The Holy Sepulchre

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Cheeniya, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

*This is the moment The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem was closed due to Coronavirus.*

Last time this happened was in 1349, during The Black Death, a bubonic plague pandemic.

What’s fascinating about this story is the guy with the keys.

The church is in the Christian Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. Within its complex it is said to contain the two holiest sites in Christianity; the site where Jesus was crucified, and the empty tomb, where he is said to have been buried and then resurrected.

The site, which has existed in one form or another since the 4th century, is occupied by a number of rival Christian denominations. These denominations often don’t agree with each other and conflict has been a recurring feature among them during its history.

The various entities coexist, just about, in the complex under arrangements put in place by the Ottomans, which preserves a status quo of coexistence and sharing.

Clearly the locking up of the church and who holds the keys in order to do that is a big thing then?

And this is the fascinating part.

Since the seventh century, a Sunni Muslim family has held the keys of the Church. And this remains the case even today, in the hope of avoiding clashes among rival Christian sects for control over the church.

Al Nuseibah & Al Husseini are 2 Jerusalemite Muslim families who serve the Church. The 1st are descendants of a female companion of Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) & the second are descendants of the Prophets grandson. Al Husseini’s hold the key & Al Nuseibah unlock & open the door.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

:hello:But then truth is stranger than fiction. But then I browsed for more information about the veracity of above story but to no avail. Black Death - yes. Pandemic due to rats & rodents reached other parts of the world via ships!

Cheeniya likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

My dear Thyagu
    I have played a very safe game with my disclaimer :blush:
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear sir,

Made an interesting read, true or not but what I feel is
    perhaps this is the first time in centuries, there is no conflict - about keeping it closed?

vrikshakadali and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Sabi
    Can you ever imagine Tirupathi under lock and key? Yesterday I witnessed on TV the conclusion of the Vasanthotsavam with about half a dozen officials of the temple watching it. Life, precious life!
    Sri

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Precious life indeed sir!
    My mom who volunteered there used to speak of ekantha seva! Wonder how that lord feels now? Perhaps a sigh of relief or a longing to see all his devotees again? Makes me wonder!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Inscrutable are the ways of God. What else we can say?

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I had the privilege of volunteering many times when I was in college. After ekanta seva they used to distribute delicious fruit salad as Prasadam.. Ahhh good old days.Really we got to experience many things.

Don’t know what’s lord feeling but I’m longing to visit again. It’s been almost 3 years since I visited :disappointed:
    I had plans of visiting Tirumala during visit to India but all cancelled because of this corona!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Thyagarajan, Mistt and Srama like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That's amazing @shravs3! I think it takes a special kind of person to do that!
    I am sure you will be able to visit soon. He has patience :)

Thyagarajan, Mistt and shravs3 like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I can go writing on and on about Tirumala. That peacefulness when you see him cannot be described. I can stay there within the temple forever :hearteyes::grinning:
    @Cheeniya Sir sorry for diverting the topic :blush:

Thyagarajan, Srama and Mistt like this.