1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The best of both worlds

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 29, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I was just talking to my cousin's wife. Her son moved to the u.s. this year for his further studies. as we got talking about how he was settling down and tolerating the cold, she told me that he has got used to the cold and is enjoying the snow-fall. she said he showed them how it looked on webcam.

my mind went to the time i was in the u.k. and how i loved the 4 seasons there. the winters were a new experience with such cold weather - breathing in the freezing air, going slipping over the first snow just to get pictures :), having a huge appetite, the comfort of the warm feeling when one went indoors, the delight of consuming piping hot soup, with the rich, cheesy veggie options :drool, getting into a cold bed and enjoying the delightful feeling of growing warm under a nice thick quilt, crawling out of bed reluctantly in the mornings; on the flip side, the first year of depression at such short days, and cooping oneself in at 3 p.m., not feeling safe enough to go out in the dark on one's own in a strange place (till i found out a bus which used to come from oxford street to my hostel gate- thereafter life changed considerably). the longing to see some leaves on the trees.

the arrival of spring used to be so sensational, when the first crocus used to peep out of the ground, the joy that wells in the heart at the sight (since i had never seen a crocus before, i remember going creeping on the ground to have a better look:), and the joy at the lengthening days, the feeling of hope at seeing flowers and blossoms around - that is a joy not possible to describe in words.

then came the looooong days of summer, with trees covered with a mantle of green, the comfortably warm days (some so breathlessly hot - naah, not nice. hey, i have had enough of hot weather at home and will have more when i get back), outdoor activities, travelling, barbecues, ......

and finally the autumn. was lucky enough to see one really beautiful autumn with changing colours (tho' nothing close to what i have heard happens in the us - i'd love to see that some day).

the sudden and marked changes in the weather was something so dramatic. how i miss that now. while i was there i used to miss the monsoons and the vegetation of india. i used to miss seeing the coconut trees, the various tropical plants, trees and flowers.

each side has its own beauty and grandeur. how nice it would be if we had the option of travelling at will and enjoying the best of both worlds!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

2. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I know exactly what you mean. However I have not been to India enough in the past decade to really miss the US weather. Here, I miss Indian climate and vegetation. IN chennai we have the retreating monsoon in october/november. Sooooo rejuvanating after the heat of the summer. Sometimes there would be storms, trees would be felled, thre would be leaves eevrywhere - but everything always smelled so much more fresh. There would be so much wet mud on the road, spraying on our clothes, socks and shoes - but it was still nice to open up the umbrellas and huddle under it. Sometimes school/college would be closed, friends would come over and mom would make us hot tea with some munchies. We would stare out the window and see the rain fall on the driveway, talking about nothing and everything.

The cool of the Margazhi/december month with some fog in the morning, the people that would do the bhajans and come around the houses in the morning and we would awaken to namasmaranam. All of the city it would seem was festive with the music season, the sweet lights of the agal (clay) lamps in front of the houses at dusk. Having to wear a sweater on chennai was awesome!

Then spring/summer heat. Aaagh the heat. Sometimes so hot it would melt the tar on the road. Still, the blue blue sky with puff clouds, the shocking pink and orange of bouganvillas and hibiscus, the smell of jasmine near the temple, the tall glasses of lemonade, the creepers up the trees, the chirping of parrots and sparrows in the morning - heaven. The colors, the sounds, the smells - everything would pop out. I could wear cotton and be comfortable. I could wash my hair and it would dry in 15 minutes. I could eat and eat and not put on weight.

I miss all of that. It is beautiful here in this country no doubt but my birth country has always had my heart. I miss it sorely and when I go there I enjoy it completely.

Like you said, I wish I could travel more and have spring/summer all year long.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. satchitananda

dear dnm,

thanks for you fb. it was really beautiful - the way you have described the monsoon winds, the garama garam chai/coffee, the bogunvilleas, the hibiscus - these are certainly missed over there, just the way i miss the four seasons and bracing weather here.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

And no wonder 'weather' is such a good topic for conversation at any time of the year! People never get tired of it and is a good conversation starter. The colder months also makes us realise how granted we take weather for, in India! Other than the seasons, we here also learn more about how these systems actually form and the devastating effects of weather sometimes.

When I tell my FIL that I heat up the car for atleast 15mins before I take the kids, he is always amused because he does believe it is for my comfort and not that of kids' because they already love the weather and couldn't care less, may be true but i give myself a pat on the back that I am doing my best.

On a similar note, I was also thinking about how people are curteous and follow the lanes, don't jump signals etc, while driving back from the gym at 6 in the AM and I think one of the reasons that could have felicitated this attitude is weather - you cannot be over taking, speeding or jumping signals on sleek slippery roads.....you do want to make sure that you reach your destination sfaely rather than quickly and I guess over a period of time, that becomes a habit and the couteous attitude stays.

Hmm....looks like i do have a lot to ramble. Sorry for such a long reply satchi but this topic can make me go on and on. It was neat write up and enjoyed it.

5. satchitananda

thanks sabitha for sharing your thoughts. your observation that the winters in the west have probably been responsible for the careful driving habits - well, hmmmm, maybe :coffee. but then how do you account for the summers?

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

You are so happy for such perfect weather, who cares about pushing and pulling?? You want the calm and the relaxation that summers have to offer?? And remember anything done for 21days becomes a habit....and almost 120 days of driving decently, should do wonders!!

7. satchitananda

:):) then maybe, the entire driving population from india should be sent to the alaska for the winter!

8. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

A very nice write-up. Enjoyed reading it :)

9. satchitananda

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear nice write up. Whether you like it or not you have to stay in some places and after sometime you get used to that place.

You have rightly said each side has its own beauty and grandeur. how nice it would be if we had the option of travelling at will and enjoying the best of both worlds!