1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The All-knowing!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 23, 2007.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:biglaugh:rotfl:biglaugh!
    Der Sri Sir
    Before I comment on your article, I read your response to ILT's "LOLing" where you had mentioned no one laughs like the green guy above hitting his hand on the floor!
    Well I must disagree to a bit..my younger son used to sit very close to me when he was in elementary school while watching cartoons, and would hit his hand on me fast, just like this green fella, and laugh his head off! Very painful for me but I put up with it enjoying his enjoyment with sheer joy! :)

Coming back to the article: That was hilarious! You already know about that by now I am sure.
    I realized how true it was everything you said; there are so many folks like them. "I thought so"...folks and only when things go wrong!
    I will start observing these folks more in detail from now on and I am sure I will recall this article many times in my years to come.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala
    Since I am not much of a laughing person, I based it on how I react to jokes normally. I am more like Jeeves who would just raise an eyebrow! I have seen such laughing people particularly in one of the episodes of Mr.Bean. I may have been wrong about my reservation about all this LOL and ROTFL.
    Sri

3. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Nice to see somebody who picks unconventional topic and gives a humourous insight to it :) Pls keep writing.
    I am sure most ppl would have met such "know-alls" in their lives. I guess they are just 100% pessimists who wait for responding to such events :) they are not vicious or mean harm to other people :)

4. Cheeniya

Dear poly
    Thanks for visiting my Ramblings and commenting. A hearty welcome to you!
    All topics concerning humans are unconventional if we look at them with a curious eye! I do not know if there is a word for human watchers in English like 'ornithologists' for bird watchers. I am a keen watcher of humans and my interest in them has remained intact despite 69 years of continuous watching.
    I agree with you that the all-knowing are not vicious. They are just great fun to watch!
    Sri

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri:

Thus spake the wise owl! And spake very truly, correctly, etc. etc. etc. Of course, we all have met people such as these, but not one who would connect himself with the Rajiv Gandhi assasination. It was quite funny you know, though the assasination wasn't. The story was, like bone china, true Cheeniya. Enjoyed every bit of it and prayed to God that even at this late age he could do me a favour by transferring your writing skills to me along with your popularity. And I don't mind if he gave you in exchange my own shortcomings. Prizes should be shared, not monopolized like yours.

I am unable to remember interesting episodes surrounding the all-knowings I came across. So let me digress to another category of individuals. The "always right"-wallahs. I had a friend who, whenever told "You know, I think you were right the other day", would immediately respond by saying, "I am always right."

So, one day I tried out a non-vegetarian trick on him when we were both students in the US. It was my turn to cook dinner and I had, much against his desire, purchased rabit meat one day. He declared that he wouldn't touch anything other than chicken. And I insisted that I would touch everything including chicken, but excluding humans. (I mean, I didn't mean I wouldn't touch pretty girls. All I said was that I wouldn't cook and eat them. So don't get me wrong.) We purchased the rabit (I paid for it of course, since he wouldn't eat)and kept it in the refrigerator. He too reminded me everyday that I alone would have to eat it or share it with other rabit touchers.

Then, on a fateful day when it was my turn to cook dinner, I cooked the rabit while he was away from at school. I ate my dinner and left a share for his consumption (should he wish to consume) when he came back home. He looked at the dish and remarked, "This chicken looks good!" I didn't reply, just smiled shyly. After all you don't brag about your own cooking, or do you? He sat down and ate up the whole thing and ended up licking his fingers. "You should have left some more for me," he accused. Probably he was right. I knew he didn't want to eat the stuff and was mentally prepared to tell him if he didn't want to eat it, he should just cook himself dinner. So, I might have eaten too much, assuming he would never touch it.

Anyway, after the eating was over, I told him that it was rabit that he had eaten. He didn't believe me, especially after praising the quality of the food. He peeped into the refrigerator and found the rabit gone. I could have told him, "You are not always right, are you?" But I refrained from going in that direction. Not that he ate rabit again after this event. Also, I was aware that I had been pretty mean in deceiving him, but I was around 23 at the time and can probably be forgiven for my mischief. After all, I didn't make a vegetarian eat non-vegetarian food did I? And if you feel it is cruel to eat an animal as innocent and lovely as a rabit, then I will say that a chicken or a goat looks equally helpless, lovely and innocent to me.

By the way, this reminds me. My son drew my attention to articles on the internet that argue that human beings are not natural carnivores. Since one is not supposed to put up links to other sites here, I am not doing so. But you can just google the question: Are humans natural carnivores? You will get the scientific answers arguing that they are not. May be you know already.

This question is very relevant to what navs23 had to say on my post on Prometheus. I have removed most of the second part, since there are few readers who are interested in reading it. But it's not my intention this time to stop visiting IL. I can always be humble enough and write comments on others' posts. Of course, I can also put up my own when something suitable comes to my mind. Assuming that I succeed in this task.

I digressed too much I know, but I had to talk to somebody who would read I guess. Also, I am wondering what, after reading the last paragraph, the wise owl will itself come up with.

For example, could the owl say, "I knew this would happen" ?? :rotfl

Don't even try. For I will then respond, "I knew you would say this and I am always right."

Regards.

oj

1 person likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

My dear OJ
    Your shortcomings, like Samson’s unkempt hair, are your strength. Never condescend to exchange them no matter what you get in return! I, for one, admire you greatly for your shortcomings if you can call your obsession for perfection as shortcomings. Unlike you, I am an expert in compromise. Ever so often, I have compromised on my principles for the sake of peace and goodwill. As I approach 70, I sometimes wonder if so much of compromising was necessary to get to where I have got! But then introspection can only be a mental exercise as in my case. I have not been able to realign my nature to what I want to be from what I am despite all my introspection. As Kamalji would say, it is my life and why make a guinea pig of it for new experiments especially at the evening of it?

The ‘Always right’ people are a greater pain than the all knowing guys. The latter are a comic relief in our otherwise dull lives but the former can be vicious at time. Remember that guy Hari Sadu in the Naukri . com ad in TV? That kind of arrogance is always associated with the ‘always right’ guys. I would any day prefer the all knowing guys to the always right ones.

Coming to this vegetarian versus non vegetarian question, do you know that in India the non vegetarians prefer to eat only vegetarian animals? You can’t see any one eating a cat or a dog unless he is a gypsy peddling sewing needles and beads of all kind. Is it because herbivorous animals are docile and easily subject themselves to their annihilation? Would a dog or cat be as docile in a butcher’s shop? You are right about navs23. She has certainly raised a very valid and interesting question!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sir,

I knew it. There was a humorous article lurking about in this section, waiting to be read, which I had missed. See, this time round I had a premonition of something good.

Why do these people not tell us before the event????? Do you think people would leave these nay sayers, these negative people alive to witness the event if they did?

8. Cheeniya

My dear Satchi
    Your entry into IndusLadies has made the job of all the humor aspirants quite easy. Even if I write a hare and tortoise story, I can rest assured that it will acquire the much needed humor through your FB! This thought almost tempts me to resume my writing new threads. Like Karna's kavacham and kundalam, your humor is inborn. And like Karna, you too are ever ready to part with what you have.
    Don't be surprised if you see a new thread emanating from my key board soon!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya sir, that would be the best thing that happened after I joined IL, and I could take the credit for being the trigger. :) I have written evidence in the form of your reply above before I have even achieved the results.

10. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri Sir,
    That's a hilarious post, hilarious to read, but annoying(situation) to be in:)
    It becomes all the more funny, when too many 'I knew its' come up with 'I told you so', as goes the saying 'too many cooks spoil the broth', too many ideas/free advice(telling so) will also mess up things, one should make note of who said what and hold them accountable :)
    I have come across the so called 'kari nakku' too and have tried making them utter good things(for whatever a karinakku person says comes true is the belief right), nothing really happened. Had it been true, that person would make a fortune just by uttering what people wish for :bonk