1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The aging ship sets sail again

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There was this magnificent ship cast in pure gold and studded with precious gems, a vessel that was built to traverse not only the mundane waters of the seven seas but also the oceans of the heavens. But alas, it had no one to take command and guide it to set sail. For a long, long time it remained rudderless. With the efflux of time and the absence of an ideal commander, the ship started aging and the glittering gold lost all its sheen till it was a dull sheet of pale yellow. The precious gems that shone like the bright stars of the heavens were now like the telltale signs of a ravaging plague. The ship looked pathetic, tossing about in the high seas, a mere shell of what once was the most beautiful sight on earth.
    It was then that I sighted the dying ship in the blinding flash of a heavenly light. In that split second, I could see that the aging ship belonged to me. Beneath the thin veneer of its withering gold, I could perceive all the magnificence that must have been an inherent part of this wondrous ship. I knew instantly that it needed me most to regain all its glory. I suddenly felt this urge to take command gushing into my whole being. And so I took command.of the ship.
    When I put my hand on the helm, the whole ship shook in a mighty heave and through my fingers I could feel how long it must have waited for me and how much it longed for this magic touch. As if touched by the wand of the world’s greatest magician, the ship regained all its lost magnificence instantly. The gold shone brighter than ever before and the gems put the stars to shame. With my deft hands steering it, the heavenly ship sailed along the silvery moon for its most memorable voyage. Soon it became a legend traversing the seas of all the worlds here and beyond the limits of the heavens.
    I knew that soon a day would come when my ship would be lifeless. It would be the saddest day of my life. But then, nothing would keep me away from it. We belong to each other. We have no will to exist without the other

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

This one touched a chord somewhere. life and ship, great one...really tied up for words..maybe cannot imagine ....comeon sri don't make it so heavy..

You know i am the most practical person...but even then....

3. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    Life is made of a variety of emotions, some are nice and enjoyable, some very poignant and heavy. Do we have a choice there? But when the heart is on a rewind mode, the emotions parade back seriatim. Old sorrows are as pleasant as new joys.
    Sri

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Great blog...

But can I suggest something... Pls... we (atleast me & shan) would like to see you with happy and fun filled posts/blogs.... The cheering, making us to laugh and think....

Veda

5. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    It is extremely nice of you to associate me with joy and mirth. I dont fancy myself as a teacher wanting to make people think. I share my feelings and experiences as honestly as I feel them myself. Have you seen Raj Kapoor's 'Mera Naam Joker'? The joker who makes everyone laugh day in and day out is himself an epitome of sorrow. Fortunately, I am not that joker but I do get into an introspective mood at times when I count not my blessings. This is just one of them.
    Sri

6. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Please dont take me on the wrong.... I want to see you to be happy and cheerful.... that is what it is.... when you write little emotionally... it goes deep inside...

Love, Veda

7. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    I certainly did not mistake you. On the contrary, I deeply appreciate your abiding interest in me. This is what friendship is all about.
    Sri

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Oh oh Cheeniya, i really needed the LIFE JACKET now., like you ahd said in one of ur replies to me.........what with the sailing ship and high seas etc........so full of emotions and "pheeling".
    But still a great piece of writing and thoughts woven so well! though it was heavy , it had so much of depth and what visual imagery! I wish we can all understand and take charge of our life's ship.....what a grand voyage it can be!
    Another great post and i enjoyed the good piece of writing...hats off!Bow:bowdown

9. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    Ain't you too liberal with your praise? You should know that a man at 65 will all be head and nothing else and everything you tell him will go only to his head! I dont want to end up with a swollen head!
    Your 'pheeling' took me back to my college days when I used to tell my classmates(only girls of course) that they gave me too much 'pheelings'!
    You can now put your hat back on!
    Sri

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    This post is very beautifully written and the words are expressed as though chiselled out . Your description of the ship reads like the “naval version” of the beautiful pushpaka vimanam raved about in our scriptures.
    Though it reads like an artistic creation, it is very profound and does strike a chord in a philosophical manner. But I refuse to myself, to look at it with a heavy heart. Let me explain it rather attempt to, look at it “differently” since you are our Inhouse Wodehose.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The ship is “humour”, the much neglected but a beautiful aspect in our busy life. We are forever running a rat race that we forget to look at the lighter side of things. You were busy with your profession, family etc that you never found time to go with it , spending more of your time. Once you retired and started relaxing in your enjoyable way, you identified humour as your strong point in expression.
    Sri, not all have it in them. Enjoying humour everybody does, but to write humorously is not every writer’s forte.
    We, your readers are the beneficiaries once you took command of the ship. Remember you are in command, but we have the benefit of enjoying the voyage with you.
    Yes, you and the ship belong to eachother and let not anyother thought cross your mind, my friend.
    Thankyou for a beautiful creation !
    Love,
    Chithra.
    <o:p></o:p>