1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

That Scene! I will Never Forget! This is a tribute to Manhood!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Nov 29, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Ambika!

Dear Ambika,

In the end we remember nothing but tenderness and love. I saw a forwarded powerpoint file which asks you, do you remember which athlete got the Olympic Gold medal for such and such event in such and such year? Do you remember who was the richest person a few years ago as per the Forbes list? Or do you remember who won the literature noble in 1997? In all proabibility we wont. But we would remember an act of kindness by our friend, a tender gesture by our parents, or our first love letter.

I do agree that even with the wife present he could have done that. His wife could have gone to her office early and so this man had to do this; but what made the scene was that the man never exhibited the "have to do" attitude.

If only all children are blessed with such loving fathers, the world would be a great place to live.
    regards,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Yes, Seena, Incidents like these are real lessons!

Dear Seena,
    This incident is a lesson on life and on loving. This incident instilled confidence in me that still there is enough love in this world. My hope in the future of humanity is revived.
    All of a sudden I felt proud and happy being a man.
    Many men these days share their wives' burden; but they view it just like that , a burden. This man views it as an opportunity to express his love to his children. That made the man great and the incident, unforgettable.
    Thanks seena
    sridhar

3. varalotti

I am sorry Preethi, I have to argue here also!

Dear Preethi,

Since you share my only daughters name I dont want to lie; let me tell the truth. I am a good father no doubt. But I have not been as loving or as tender as the father I saw yesterday morning.

I help my daughter with her assignment. I give her ideas for her speeches. She was the Union President in her college and every other day she had to speak on something. Many days I have dropped her at school or college or have picked her up on my way home.

But this kind of love.... no, I was not like that. When my daughter was very young, my wife did virtually everything for her. My daughter never ate well; and I have seen my wife even crying for that. But I have not helped her in this area. I will tell her phiolosophically, if she's hungry, she will eat on her own.

I have never known to express my love in tender ways as that father did or your father-in-law did. And it was only because of that did I find the scene so touching? Honestly, I don't know.
    regards,
    sridhar

4. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

It sure is a notable scene!!

It got me back the memories of my childhood and my dad...how he used to come everyday from his work in the afternoons during his lunch time (rain or shine) to feed me and my elder bro. My mother was working too.....so he had shared the duties but with a right attitude I feel...thinking about it now.

Its very true as others have stated that men now share the duties, but men usually do not have the kind of patience a woman has......maybe thats the reason that god chose a woman to give birth to children and not a man!
    That person's child spoiling the clothes while feeding and he not yelling is what is commendable...that kind of nurturing attitude not many men would have. Also another thing I have seen in men is, even when they share the duties...they try to escape from these duties whenever they get some chance......like a meeting in office or something. I don't want to generalise here, but this is what I have seen and heard from my close friends and family circle.

Regards,
    Sihi

5. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Thanks for making a note of it and posting your thoughts here. Am sure you have a tender heart or else you would not have written it. As others have said I think fathers do have some motherly qualities. It does surface only when the need and time arises.Probably they show it in their own tender way.
    Love,

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  6. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

good observation

hi sridhar
    thats a nice observation
    the kids were quite fortunate too
    to have such a loving father
    (who knows it could be a loving mama, sithappa or periappa too!)

guess we have a way of providing whatever we missed out in our own childhood. we see to it that our children definately get it be it food, education or home... my father was brought up in a traditional joint set up to stay with his periyappa's family he and other kids or all the school going kids at home got to eat `pazhayadhu' everyday morning and night and dosas idlis and other items were rare.. he used to say the old people in the house used to prepare ``oru mozham dosai'' meaning there were enough piled up for the elders!! and when we were kids and had a way of dropping off to sleep quite early maybe even on our books or on the floor we were writing on.. he used to wake us up and give roti and subji or dosa something hot and tasty.. if we refused he cajoled us into eating it with stories that made us sit up....
    thanks for reminding my father who is no more.

sathya

7. prabhabala

prabhabala Gold IL'ite

Hi Sridhar,

The way u have narrated the scene is superb. Mrs chitra has appreciated so well. The scene was flowing in front of me when I was going through ur thread.

well done!!!

prabha

8. varalotti

Dear Prabha,
    thanks a lot for your kind words. When the scene enacted before you is powerful, you naturally get to describe it better.
    Thanks once again.
    regards,

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,
    Your posting had made me dwell deep in the past. During summer my father used to bring nungu, and patiently deskin it, and then make a hole and pour the tender water into my mouth. Then he would make pieces and put it in my mouth. He used to go to temple and would bring sundal and other prasadam at night time. Even if I was asleep he would wake me up and would feed me. Specially he was very much attached to me. Thanks for your beautiful , touching and picturesque narration of the scene you had witnessed
    Regards,
    Pushpavalli

10. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

I have just one question.
    considering the same act with gender reversed, would you still be emotional and call it a act of love or plain duty and responsibility of a mother? Would you still be thinking whether her husband is out of town or dead?

No I'm not a feminist. I'm just a plain women trying to understnad the world around me.
    Why is it that including women, no especially women go oooh..ahh... when men do normal chores that women anyway do on a daily basis?

People say men cant understand women, sometimes I cant understand other women though I'm a women!