1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

That One Book..

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Shanvy, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

What is riff raff about midnight children, you never know a simple panchatantra story may be that one book for someone or a m&b. The thread is not to talk about the literary angle review. Just keep posting..

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Nonya it is not about what others raved it is about why it is that one book..

chitra banerjee, meena kandasamy, anita nair, vikram seth, jhumpa , anita desai love the way out indians authors evolved.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

And I should mention il forum through the years has seen the birth of few published authors. Devika Menon, Cheeniya. Mythili Kannan, @satchitananda too has something published and varolotti rengasamy is a noted writer

stayblessed, Rihana, ashima10 and 2 others like this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

So 'Grimm's Fairy Tales' will fit in too? :D

Big fan always. Its where I may go for work inspirations or life morals anytime. I still read with my niece, but more of a softened baby version though. The subtle politics, the subtexts involved are very deep and relevant to current issues but only makes sense when we are an adult, isn't? Little Red story for example, Not just for kids. :)

stayblessed, Rihana, Amica and 3 others like this.
  6. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Shanvy ,

I would consider ' I'm OK - You're OK by 'Thomas Antony Harris'.

This book taught me the dynamics of Human Interactions. It helped me understand every human being's state of mind while interacting with them. It helped me solve so many problems at home with family members, at office and at other places wherever I interact with another person.

It helps me even in our IL Family, dealing with so many different and unique members!

I think it is a must read for every one, especially teens to become successful and understanding human beings!

stayblessed, ashima10 and Shanvy like this.
  7. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Woah! thats Crude...not for me right now at least :) ! But still stick'g to one book. Midnight's children...few scenes from that book still haunts me. like the way Amina announces her pregnancy and the ways she thought she would ...that has something very touching. i haven read the book completely but would love to. Thats why Midnight Children...it wasn't to demean any Indian writer or being Anti national .

There are many things which goes in mind when you write a post perhaps not evident to readers , i dnt see why we have to be so judgemental about it. . What makes you think that if I wrote Salmam Rushdie's fiction i will not or have not given proper credit to our own Indian writers is something i am really not interested in knowing. ..and the snippet you asked me try....well writers has many shades...i better not generalize/Judge ...and just to retaliate i really cant deep dig into Vikram Seth all work/ columns.
    As per my history here goes at IL i would be glad if i write a complete post without typos....

Sorry @Shanvy for above...just wanted to get it off my system...i thought it was just about "a" book...but took a different turn. :)

Makes me wonder we can make anything controversial! Ciao!

Amica, Gauri03 and Shanvy like this.
  8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Not related to books but just yesterday I was watching 'The Lion King' with my kids. I watched it so long ago and now around 15 years later, as I sat watching it with my kids, I fell in love with the story all over again. The dialogues just took my breath away.

They are so simple but still so powerful!

9. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Back to the books, It has got to be Pride and Prejudice for me. No matter how many times I read, it still feels like I am not done with it yet!

There have been days when I just complete the whole novel just to come back to the first page and start reading again! Silly me....I know :blush:

stayblessed, Rihana, Gauri03 and 2 others like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@ashima10 i am all for constructive criticism but not something that makes someone stop posting or feel hurt. So you are welcome to post what you want. The thread started by me doesn't mean i own it love.

No i don't want anyone to be judged for thier choice of book.i am interested in only knowing about why that book is special, like any other book lover. The question my son asked was interesting to me. I am a voracious reader and my son is equally voracious, at 15 he has read the book who will cry when you die around 30 times and al of mitch albom's books while my daughter loves to read nicholas sparks and feels his books are more relatable.

And if i were to ask my dear friend @Srama she would definitely quote her fav and if you follow her posts no surprises there. Love join us..

So fairy tales,amar chitra katha or autobiography of an yogi do join is

Srama, kkrish, Amica and 1 other person like this.