Thanks for all who have supported my in my hard times...sharing my thoughts

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by icyspicy, Jun 12, 2010.

1. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Icy,

I live in Florida right now, but will soon be moving to the Washington DC area. In the U.S. things really vary from place to place.

In some cities, most families have both a working husband and wife because cost of living is so high... like New York, DC, Las Angeles, San Francisco.

However some places it's really cheap to live and a family can do well on just one income... like in the mid western states, or the south.

Also, how much money to 'get by' depends on where you're at. For example, $70,000 a year salary is great in some places, but in a big city like New York, it would not feel like enough if you had a wife and kids.

How much you need depends on what type of lifestyle you are trying to live!

As for climate, we have it all! Hawaii is an island in the pacific ocean and they have what is called 'perfect weather'. Then you've got the north east (New York, Massachusetts, Maine, etc) which have a freezing cold winter. The south (Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Lousianna, Mississippi, Texas) pretty much stays warm year round with mild winters. I think Texas gets snow though, I'm not sure. Florida never gets snow. In the midwest you also have extremely cold winters. And on the west coast you have very nice scenery, just like on the east coast. Summer heat depends what state you're in. In the north east I know they have nice fall season where the leaves change color. I'm sure in other places they have that too, but Florida usually doesn't have distinct change of seasons.

Job opportunity varies from place to place. Right now we are in a recession so jobs are hard to find, but it IS possible and people ARE still finding jobs if they wait long enough and look hard enough. Some places like DC, have less unemployment than places like say, Detroit.

As for lifestyle, it varies greatly by place. We have 50 states here! And the country is very large! So culture varies from place to place. But it's all nice in it's own way. Obviously just like anywhere in the world, big cities have a faster pace of life, while small towns are more laid back. We have deserts, mountains, hills, beaches, snow, warmth, grassy plains and valleys, forrests, etc depending on what part of the country you're in.

Langauge wise, English is the spoken language. Although in the south Spanish is getting more popular.

Hope that info helps! Are you thinking of moving here?? :)

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Hey ASG

What are your plans for thanks giving weekend? any shopping??

Icy, I watched this movie EAT, PRAY, LOVE ** Julia Roberts....Please please watch this movie if you get time....it really has lots of inspirational content on how someone can start over from scratch again ....I loveeed the movie...Watch it and tell me how you liked it

3. asuitablegirl

Sri, I was going to make a big thanksgiving dinner, but some neighbors have actually invited me, my dh, my mom and bro over to their house for thanksgiving. So now I won't be cooking. It's ok... don't cry for me, I'll get my chance to make a big feast on Christmas day. I'm very into the Christmas holiday... I love the food, lights, and fun.

And yes, I will be shopping. The friday after thanksgiving is the best. Like I said in some other posts, we're moving soon to Washington DC, so I need to pick up some warmer clothing!

Icy, I've read the book Eat Pray Love, if you get the chance, check it out. It's about a woman who realizes her husband isn't the right one for her, they divorce, and then she goes to three different places to rediscover herself... in italy she learns to eat well again, in india she learns to pray, and in bali she learns to love again. so, you might feel inspired to read it. or like sri said, just watch the movie. :) i haven't seen the movie yet but i plan on watching it soon.

4. icyspicy

icyspicy Senior IL'ite

Sure ASG ,Sri..will watch it soon!
    How about Canada...is the cost of living high there?

5. asuitablegirl

I don't know about Canada, Icy. I've only been there twice (one to niagra falls, once to toronto). Maybe somebody from Canada can post their thoughts on that. :)

p.s. But as an American, if you are deciding where to live, let me just say U.S. is the besttttttt! Woooooooo! (lol no hard feelings to any canadian reading this!)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Are you planning to move Icy? Why the sudden interest in Can?

7. icyspicy

icyspicy Senior IL'ite

Not decide yet , since i know so many ppl from uae are immigrating there i too was curious to know abt it, the lifestyle, work etc, but an issue abt calling parents there is of a concern cos i have to get work there 1st n all that, and mainl if i get married then should i continue working or not...so basically im not sure , its just a thought

8. asuitablegirl

Icy,

Although many people are struggling to find jobs, some cities in both America and Canada still have low unemployment. :thumbsup My dh got a job in Washington DC. So, there ARE jobs to be had. He filled out about 80 applications, got 4 call backs, one offer.

Personally, I think you would enjoy working for a while, even after marriage. It would help you and your hubby financially, you'd make friends at work, polish your skills, and give you some independence. MANY families in U.S. are two-income households.

You'd have to consider visa issues, finding a job, and whether any new guy in your life is already settled there or whether he'd be needing to get a visa and job too. Do you have any family or friends in either countries?

9. contented

contented Senior IL'ite

Hey Hope all of you are doing good. Icy whats happening at your end? Did you decide anything about moving to US or Canada?

10. icyspicy

icyspicy Senior IL'ite

No Contended, not decided, i think i will stay for a while here...lol!