1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thank You , Sorry!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jananikrithsan, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi IL Lites,
    I was just wondering how often do we say Thanks to someone when they help us or sorry if we go wrong. For most people taking help is no big thing and they forget to acknowledge it. Not that we help them for being recongnised, but what about the effort we put in, or for that matter Sorry when wrong how easily do we utter these simply beautiful words. I do say both words when it is needed without a thought . I feel though times are changing and the world is becoming fast paced courtesy is not to be forgotten. Waiting to hear from you all.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread, Janani.
    In India, we are not used to say 'thank you' or 'sorry' whenever the need is. one of the benefits of the western style is this.
    We feel happy when someday says 'thank you' or 'sorry' according to the situation.
    I also do the same after coming to US. But at times I feel, we use those words only because we are used to it, but without any emotion or true feeling attached to it.
    In my opinion some formalities are not to be forgotten even though they brand it as such. Then, how we are going to learn to appreciate people, give due importance to them, respect them, etc.
    Sriniketan

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi janani,

Nice post..lot to ponder.....

You don't have to acknowledge someone in an elaborate display of gratitude. A simple "thank you" will often suffice. Those two small words can convey a strong emotion when said with sincerity. It lets others know that you do appreciate them and what they do. But today in this fast world , simple pleasantries and good manners are often overlooked. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to smile and say "thank you. I have seen the smile on the exnora guy who comes to take garbage when i say "thank you" and he has gone to the extent of saying you are welcome akka...:-D

"
    It costs nothing to say "I am sorry" when we have inconvenienced someone.Seeking forgiveness is always a sound policy when we believe we may have hurt friends, family or associates. But if the apology is only lip service it is worse than no apology at all.. :icon_frown:

Children easily learn to say "Thank you, Sorry, and Please" when their parents give them the genuine respect connected with those words.

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    Its a good topic....
    First of all, it is a good habit to say 'THANK YOU' / 'SORRY' and you should really mean it when you say so.
    You won't become small by accepting your fault, infact it shows how good you are and brave you are by accepting your fault. THis is what I teach my kids too..
    Saying 'Thank you' is way of showing your gratitude towards others.
    But now a days, this is just become fashion of saying 'Thank you' and many people doesn't even bother to say 'SORRY'.

I remember Kananka das's preaching here 'if you let your ego , then you will go to heaven'.

Thanks,
    Punitha

5. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi Janani,
    Good topic!
    I always say 'sorry and thanks"whenever i have to, that too from my heart. I have (had) a friend who was looking for a job, but couldn't find one on her own. So she approached me to see if I can find her one. I did find her one. But later felt sorry for myself to help people who don't even acknowledge our efforts. Some people are not educated to say sorry/thanks, some are too egoistic to say sorry/thanks to others.

6. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    good thread.
    I also agree that you should say thank you and sorry whenever the need arises. You should not have any ego. I really agree with puni and sindhu here that people should let go of there ego, and if need arises to say thank you say it. Don't take things for granted especially people or friends.

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear janani,
    very true, in those days, as children we have to say good morning uncle or aunty without fail, that is courtesy being taught when young, when some gift given thanku uncle or aunty is an automated answer expected and should be given, even now we feel so satisfied when appreciated, it is not that we work for it, but when acknowledged u feel thrilled, ya, ok! i have made someone happy and so on.. we should never fail to thank people who have helped us, but personally i feel bad when my close friends thank as i dont see a need there, i would do the same thing to anyfriend and expect her to do the same for me.

when we are sorry it is better to say that rather than giving wrong ideas by not saying the word, many expressions are followed like very egoistic, unfaithful and so many other tirades can be avoided with one sorry and it is better to say if u feel to say, never say sorry to appease the other. the meaning looses its effect there..sunkan

8. Jananikrithsan

Hi Sriniketan, Shanvy, Puni, Sindhuja, Madhu, Sunkan,
    Thanks for your response. I just feel that Thank you and Sorry should be said when need be and with the emotion that goes along with it.

Sriniketan,
    It should not become a kind of auto response is what I feel, when so then too it has no value.

Shanvy,
    Though all that we do we don't expect to be acknowledged, is it not at least a contentment that you feel when you hear these words?

Puni,
    I totally agree with you, showing your gratitude when needed is no sin, but do we do that?

Sindhu,
    I have been in those shoes too so I know how it feels .

Madhu,
    Many a time we take things for granted which we should not and ego should never get better of us.

Sunkan,
    You can't say sorry to appease anyone but then you have nothing to lose in accepting your fault, and Thank you, when you take help makes the other person feel the effort is worth it. Right?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Janani,

You can say "Thank you" often, but SAY SORRY ONLY WHEN YOU MEAN IT. Saying sorry for selfish reasons is inapt.

Anyways, we rarely hear people say either Thank You or Sorry. :evil:

10. Jananikrithsan

You are right, Mals. Why has it become so difficult, I can't understand.
    Even when you really mean your sorry, DO SAY IT.