1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thank you, Sorry and Please!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Godschild, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

As children we all would have learnt the good manners of using the 3 Golden phrases - “Thank you”, “Sorry” and “Please”. Every moral science text book would definitely have a chapter dedicated to the significance of using these words in our lives. Parents would feel proud when their lil ones use these words in front of guests/ relatives. But as we grow older the magnitude of these words changes drastically. A day spent at work would defend that.

Thank you.

This is one of the standard declarations my Team Lead would make at 8 PM in the evening.
    “I’m leaving for the day. Please finish testing all the components by end of day. Thank you.” :bang

Wasn’t a thank you all about expressing gratitude for something that was willingly done by the other person?
    But it is immensely used in a tactful way to exploit others.

Sorry.

As we follow the onsite/offshore model, the offshore team would call up the onsite team, which is at their midnight and vice versa.
    We would simply begin the conversation saying “Sorry to wake you up” or “Sorry to call you up at this odd hour”. We would hardly wait for a response from the other side for the fake apology and immediately start rambling about the issues/concerns. And again we would shamelessly utter a “Thank you and have a good sleep”. :hide:

Please.

During arguments/brain storming session we can hear the following sentence often-
    “Can you please shut up?”

Please can be applied in an offensive statement to make it sound civil.

It’s sad that these words have lost their impact.
    Guess all of us should go back to reading our 1<SUP>st</SUP> standard Moral Science text books. Sigh!!

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Earlier it was comparison between north indian and south indian movies and now about etiquettes;i have faced almost all situations ...guess you are in full form :rotfl:rotfl..Keep going ..Good one :thumbsup

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Hey!!

Thanks for your first feedback.
    Meant a lot to me :)

oh yes i am and you know why!! :cheers

4. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

5. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Godschild,

Very interesting analysis of the three commonly used expressions! All of them are used thoughtlessly, have lost the very meaning or intention....

'Thank you' is supposed to convey gratitude, as you say nowadays it presupposes that one will do what you want and is uttered a priori!

Our sages and seers always emphasised on the value of offering thanks to the Almighty for what we have... In her book 'The Secret', Rhonda Byrne also talks about offering thanks for everything that happens in our life

'Sorry' as an expression of regret or apology seems to be used rather casually, without really meaning it... Seems like an easy way to get away with saying or doing something impetuously...

'Please' is a word we teach our children to say when they ask for something, a polite request

In the mad mad world of today, where has the genuineness gone, I wonder?

Good post, I will definitely pause and think before using these three words/expressions!

Love,
    Padma

6. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Dear Godschild,

Very true words, Initially as a child we are taught many lessons, many of which we are not at all using today.... What you have written is certainly a point which will make us think if we today are using those three phrases in a correct way. To be frank, even i have been doing that sometimes, i feel. Thanks for waking me up....

7. ashwiniks79

ashwiniks79 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Godschild,
    You will not believe it....I used all these three words in my sentence just before my son went to school. My husband is currently in london on a business visit and had called home but i was not able to hear any thing because of my son's galata.

These were my words to my son.."Sorry honey, but will you please shutup??? He stopped and i said "Thank you"

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  8. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your feedback Brinda :)

9. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Dear Padma,

Thanks for your lovely comments on the post.
    You have exactly expressed what i really intented and felt while writing the post :)
    And yes the world would be a much better place if each one of us would pause and think before using these words :thumbsup

10. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

True Sandhya. Most of us do this without realising.