Thala diwali in US

Discussion in 'Indians in Dallas' started by Preethi Ganesan, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Preethi Ganesan

Preethi Ganesan New IL'ite

Hello,

This diwali 2010 is thala diwali for us :) we got married this year and its been 6 months sinceour marriage.. I would want to make this diwali very special.. I initially was not much interested as we are now far away from our home (India) but I later thought of making it special as it is thala diwali anyways (once in a lifetime :))

Can you please pour in your suggestions as to how to make it special.. I stay in Plano, texas and this its been just 5 months since I have come here.

Thanks

2. RagaPrasanna

RagaPrasanna Platinum IL'ite

Hi Preethi..

First of all, congrats!
    Its my thala deepavali too.. :) I am also looking forward to making it very special. I have already started making diwali sweets and savouries. I want to give my DH a great feast on Diwali. :)
    I hope you are getting ready with your DH's fav dishes too. If you have friends near your place, it will be great to invite them for lunch or dinner. Unfortunately we have no one near by.. :(

DH and I are not working on Friday. We are planning to watch diwali spl programmes on TV (thru channellive) and then go to temple in the evening and somewhere else after that (not decided where). Hope its going to be a great thala deepavali! Whatever we do, we will miss crackers, parents and in-laws! :-( What to do! This was our choice..

Have a great thala deepavali and many more terrific deepavalis with your DH!

3. PrabhaWin

PrabhaWin Senior IL'ite

Hi Preethi and Raga,

Congrats both of u... Its my Thala Deepavali too :)
    Raga Gud to hear that u r making diwali sweets and savouries.... Am not so gud at those even then am gonna try few.... Am also planning to make this deepavali a spl one so waiting to hear ideas from others :)

Advance Happy Diwali for all....:)

4. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

Congrats all of you here..
    I am Vidhya.. was jus like you all when I came here 3 years back. I was jus married for a week when I came here.. no friends at all. That time i dint know this site too. I went thru the same feelings during my lonely thala diwali here. But I took that chance to show how much I loved him. As you all have decided, I too made all sweets fav to him. I was not a great cook that time.. still tried to browse a lot and make good things.:) And I decorated my house with little deepams too. Wore pattu saree..etc etc etc !

So, once again I wish you all a fantastic Thala Diwali. And I pray to God that you all may be blessed with lots n lots of diwalis ahead.

Iam basically from chennai, tamil ! Right now live in plano texas. We can be friends !!!

5. PrabhaWin

PrabhaWin Senior IL'ite

Hi vidhya,
    Thanku so much for ur wishes.... I am also from chennai currently in Irving Tx. hoping to hear from u :)

6. gayatri00

gayatri00 New IL'ite

hello ,
    it feels gr8 2 read dis thread .i gt married in may 2010 so its my tala diwali too :) have started cleaning my house and other things. i am not a gr8 cook so mite not prepare many sweets but surely gonna try one or two.
    i have brought few candles/diyas and plan 2 lit them ,do a simple kolam, my mil gave a pattu saree so will wear that and have got serial lights to put in d patio .we may visit houston meenakshi temple.i will suggest d temple if u cn guys cn drive down on weekend following diwali.dis diwali spl programs from raga sounds gr8 probably mite make me closer home .i hope we al have a nice n contented diwali :)

7. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

You're welcome Prabha.. Nice to hear back from you. Wer r u in Irving? Please contact me through private messages. Will try to catch you soon.
    Thalai Deepavali Vaazhthukkal !

And Gayathri... my wishes to you too. I have not yet been to the Meenakshi Temple. Will plan for a visit soon ! You have a great Thala Deepavali ! :thumbsup

Admin Note: You can exchange contact information only through private messages. Private message subscription is just $10/year. Each private message subscription comes with a free gift subscription, which you can give to the other person and you both can contact each other instantly. More Details.

Trying to exchange contact information for a second time will result in the member loosing all posting privileges. As members pay to exchange contact information, we enforce this rule pretty strictly. Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to seeing more of you on IL.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  8. PrabhaWin

PrabhaWin Senior IL'ite

Hi Gayathri ,

Happy Thala Deepavali to u too.... yeah meenakshi temple is very gud i have been there 2 times bfore but sadly wouldnt be able to visit this time as we r in Irving this diwali :(

9. priyaluvsbaby

priyaluvsbaby New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

Mine is not a thala deepavali...but just cant resist posting my comments here :)

This friday I have work..so planning to come to work and leave early so i can spend some time with my family...I just cant wait !!

Tonight I am starting the bakshanam preparation....Planning on to prepare mixture,rava lodoo,therattipal.....yum...theratti pal is my husband's favourite... !!!

I wish all of you a happy deepavali...

10. RagaPrasanna

RagaPrasanna Platinum IL'ite

Hi Prabha - Congrats!! Nice that you are trying to make some sweets..It will come out good... I am also a learner.. :)

Hi Suvidhya... That was very sweet of you! Naanum tamil dhaan.. but living in California.. Friends??? :wink:

Congrats Gayathri.. Serial lights in the patio is a great idea.. I will search for the lights at home tonight!!

Hi Priya - You are making every diwali of urs as a thala diwali.. aren't you?? :) ((Making DH's fav sweets and all))