Tests Performed in India

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by americaniddelhi, Jun 3, 2008.

1. americaniddelhi

americaniddelhi New IL'ite

I am from the US relocating to Delhi. I had my first child in the US and am pregnant now. I'm trying to decide whether I have #2 in India or the US. My primary concern is whether the tests I'm used to will be available to me. Also, I'll be 37 at the time of delivery, so that adds some risk in my mind.

Can any of you ladies tell me if the following tests are available and easy to have conducted?

Nuchal
    CVS
    Amnio
    Triple Screen
    Sonograms

I realize at least some (or all) of these tests are probably done in India. I guess my real question is how easy it is to have them performed. Are there any cultural or even legal issues I may face? In the US I was used to having anything I needed performed without worrying about such issues.

Thanks!

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Congrats on your pregnancy! All of these tests are performed in India - atleast in all major cities and certainly in Delhi. I honestly dont understand what legal or cultural issues you are anticipating though. These tests are all legal in India and they are performed when required (just like anywhere else in the world). You just need to find yourself an OB who practices in a tertiary care/referral centre type of hospital as some of these will not be done in every hospital. I hope someone In Delhi can give you some names if you need them.
    ETA: The only legal issue in India is that the gender of your baby cannot be revealed to you antenatally.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi...

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I would suggest if you have opportunity to stay in US then why not stay here untill you give birth. I am not saying in India these facilites or tests are not available but going through this process and trying new things there, who knows what difficulties you will face. Don't get me wrong I don't know if doctors are efficient in that procedures there or not. You have given birth to one child here already and you know how the system works here. Here you can get more support and its easy, infact lots of information on the phone available. I took CVS test in 13th week, I knew it in US there is much advance technology and efficient doctors available.I personally will stay atleast for the tests you mentioned below. All these tests can be done by the 20th week after then you can decide where do you want to deliver the baby.

Regarding the CVS test mine was done transvaginal. It wasn't painful at all, its more like a PAP test and I got the FISH result the next day. Sometime they do this procedure from abdominal. And its not painful either. They numb the area with local anesthesia and then take about 2 spoons of water, its slightly tingling feeling but not painful. The whole procedure takes 10 minutes and you can go home right away. All you have to take good rest for 3 days and no hectic excercise for a week. My doctor was very experienced and supportive. Amino test is done between 18-22 weeks. Miscarriage risk is very low. I have talked to so many ladies on the other sites who went through this test and none of them had miscarriage due to these procedures. Don't worry about these test, its very common here, once you cross the 35, they recommand it to everybody.

Take care.