1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Terms of Endearment

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Growing up I did not know the real name of many of our relatives and sometimes street acquaintances too. My family is renowned for keeping and giving alias names and/or nicknames.
    When a baby is born in my family, I have never seen anyone call that baby by name. In fact when my grandmother and great grandmother were alive they would actively prevent us from performing the naming ceremony. Then slowly they would set about finding a “good day” . By then the baby would have heard thousand names.
    Truth be told I have also called my child thousand plus names. Even Lord Vishnu had devotees call him thousand names in the famous poem but I really exceed it. These names are not too fancy or anything. They range from the ordinary and ubiquitous “baby” to very fondly “ladoo” and the like. (Don’t tell my son I shared this here. This is a secret)
    I digress.
    Even as a child is growing up we tend to call it “kanna” or “sweetie” and such. When I was growing up I cannot remember being called endearingly like its prevalent today.
    Everywhere I turn these days people seem to be very liberal and generous calling other people’s children names and even us adults with terms of endearment.
    Mostly these terms of endearment are “sweetheart” and “honey” but sometimes I hear children being referred to as “brat” and some unprintable words when the parents are not nearby.
    There seems to be a general trend to profusely calling others, young or old, with such terms of endearment.
    Being from a generation were we are not so used to being called such names by strangers, there exists a certain discomfort when being addressed so as “honey”!.
    There is no apparent reason to address strangers in this manner. Maybe the reason is the ease of use, or laziness on the part of caller to find out the real name or it helps being informal.
    Maybe this is a universal trend. Or its just a new generation being more liberal with their choice of terms of endearment be it stranger or relative.
    Either which way I am also getting more comfortable calling many hear “dear” and maybe soon I will also learn a new term or else fall back on my very own “ladoo” or “bonda”! What say?!
    Hey I love the moniker “AC “ assigned to me by my IL family. :)

joke25.jpg

12 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

AC dear thought provoking post. Earlier only one name was kept during our grandmother's times and that too the first child bearing the name of father's father if it is a boy and father's mother if it is a girl. I was named Lakshmi, my mother's mother' name. But my chittappa named me Vijayalakshmi because at that time Vijayalakshmi Pandit was very famous. Now in IL I am called Vijima by most of the ILites which I like it very much. Friends used to call me Viji, some Vijaya, my best friend used to call me Vijay. In the office also everyone used to call me Viji and one of my friend's mil used to tell her she is so much older to you and how can you call her Viji but in office you cant call Viji aunty. KNBG calls me Vitamin Viji aunty which is so different. Hope you are not bored by my name puranam.

My husband calls his children with pet names only , Ammu, Kutta and Raju. It was interesting to read your thread and I got the opportunity after a long time to give the first fb

5 people like this.
  3. Anandchitra

my dear sweet vijima
    so happy to get first feedback from you and what a lovely one it is. I so much enjoyed reading about the way your name travelled and its nice to look back isnt it? It is also special to note you were named after a famous woman and no doubt you have also been able to wear many hats and many roles which makes you and your family proud. Thanks dear

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes, AC, as you had pointed out, honey and sweetheart to strangers still feels uncomfortable...
    I was also christened many names ... I know what is in IL..:)

Ladoo is fine but bonda...mm...:biglaugh:

Sriniketan

2 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear AC,

Many ILites know that I have only one child i.e. my son. My wife named him Prashanth (meaning abode of peace). But in order to defy our attempt to raise him as a peaceful child, he became hyper-active child and both my wife and I used to show big sigh of relief when he goes to sleep in the night. She nicknamed him as "Ajju" and most started calling him with that name. He got furious and told his mom not to call him with that name in the presence of others. I used to call him many names mostly when he is alone. The names include "Chittu" "Dhonna Kadaa" (he has big pair of ears) "Mutta Kanna" (he has big pair of eyes too).

I am writing all of that with the confidence that he would never read what I write in IL. After he grew up, he named himself "Shan" to make it convenient for his friends to call him.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I would go with wanting to be informal AC :) As much as I love hearing honey, sweet heart....I still wonder when it happens between couples in public! With kids, I am absolutely fine. Kids always certainly get a nick name and thankfully all of us at home were given officially a nick name and all the family calls us by that name. So no nama japam using a thousand an done names ..... poor adults of our family, they missed an opportunity. Did they not? Speaking of nick names, I shortened my DHs name after marriage though I have to confess, it was not actually me but it was already in place because of his friends, but my FIL insists and wants to give me credit for shortening his name, mostly with annoyance when he displeased with me :) Now he doesn't realise that that is such a give away for me to know his mood...so I enjoy that thoroughly!

4 people like this.
  7. Anandchitra

my lovely round bonda Big B:kiss
    How dare you not like my nickname bonda???
    I agree with you how it feels with strangers. Glad to see you got power connection back:)

2 people like this.
  8. Anandchitra

Dear "honey " Viswa
    I always look forward for your comments. Such a pleasure to read.:)

All who are writing here will have to endure my endearing names for them. Hope you dont mind Sir :)
    I enjoyed the intimate personal comment regarding son and wife and can understand him not wanting to be called by pet name before others!
    Absolutely loved "Dhonna Kadaa " & Mutta kanna. These are going to be added to my list of names that I call my hubby :):biggrin2: Also please can you tell something for Long Nose.. as he has a long nose :rotfl

9. Anandchitra

Honey Srama I too agree with you wanting to be informal. I am impressed how you have handled the name shortening situation of DH and the subsequent banter with FIL.
    The fact that he does not realise that its a mood give away exhibits your talent and intelligence and expertise at handling family situation.

10. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Hi AC,

Even I second Sriniketan's thoughts about laddoo and bonda....I have heard ladoo,but "bonda" for a nickname...hahaha..quite amusing :)

Seeing all this, I wonder what will happen if I disclose the calling name for my DD...hahaha...no way am going to publicly tell here....not that its any bad, but it doesnt have any meaning, and its a word coined by me just to amuse her when she was a baby...hahaha....am sure it will be the most unique name ever....and I know my DD will run after me if I continue using this in her coming years...LOL!

As for me, well yes, now am kind of used to the "dear", "dearie", "sweetie", "hon" (honey shortened form!!!) ...and what not...I may use it in a written form, but when it comes to talking, I am not sure I am quite comfortable with that :)

And its very interesting to note the names mentioned by the other posters here...:)

I must say that you have a unique way to end your posts in an animated way with the cartoons!
    Just like Kamalji's style of ending his snippets with jokes, this is yet another engaging way!!
    A very sweet topic !

1 person likes this.