1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teenage Daughter's Health Issue

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by nayidulhan, Apr 7, 2024.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

My daughter is 13 and has a tall and lean frame. She had her menarche last year and her periods have not totally regularized yet.

She is excellent at academics and does very well on almost all the tasks and assignments. However, she has stopped all her physical activities like playing Table Tennis, athletics, swimming and cycling. She is always tired and cranky. She returns home from school at lunch time. She freshens up, eats her meal and heads straight for the bed- not for a power nap but for a siesta that lasts for more than an hour or hour and half. She never wakes up on her own. I have to plead/ coax to get her out of the bed. She sleeps like a log every afternoon.

Evenings are spent whining about how tired she is and then completing her school assignments, etc. She has to be fed her food at every meal as she is always reluctant to eat.

We consulted a few doctors and were advised to include dry fruits, more drinking water, vitamin supplements. etc. Recently a well wisher advised a glass of punarnawa (Hogweed/ Boerhavia diffusa) decoction first thing in the morning.
    We have tried everything but nothing seems to work for her. Has any parent faced anything like this ever? Could you please help me with any home remedy or so?

2. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Also, she goes to bed between 10:30-11PM and is up by 6:30AM. So she sleeps for 7-8 hours every night.

3. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

My daughter became extremely tired and sleepy
    She also started gaining weight
    Doctor ordered blood test and she had very high tsh. She has been advised to follow up with endocrinologist. Get blood work run to rule out health issues .
    She also had irregular periods
    We are still waiting to see endo but as of now we at least know the cause for her tiredness

nayidulhan likes this.
  4. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Yes.my 14 yr old niece was exactly same and found out her Vit D was too low.She had to take High dose vit D injections periodically and in couple of months she was fine.

nayidulhan likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

nayidulhan likes this.
  6. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

Also please check her iron levels. Anemia may cause tiredness.

nayidulhan and Viswamitra like this.
  7. radar30062

radar30062 New IL'ite

8. radar30062

radar30062 New IL'ite

I am not a physician or healthcare provider...but here are my thoughts.

1. Have her checked out thoroughly with full blood test, for levels of vitamins, minerals and hormones. this is the first thing.
    2. If she is suddenly disinterested in previously enjoyed activity, have her assessed if there is any depression.
    3. There is a condition called hypersomnia that sometimes starts in childhood or teenage and continues into adulthood when it is known as narcolepsy. Hypersomnia is a condition that homeopaths are aware of and know how to treat. I feel they are good with a lot of conditions, sleep issues are one such (despite many nonbelievers who have never tried it in the first place, but will offer their opinions gratis)

Here is a link to an article I found.
    HOMOEOPATHY FOR HYPERSOMNIA

In my personal experience, I have found homeopathy (and ayurvedic medicines) to be very helpful, and cure -producing in complex conditions, with no side effects. The key is to find a good homeopath, who will take the time to do an extensive interview of the patient and parent. You will need to ask around if you want to find one in your area. These days some homeopaths will do this over a video call meeting if you are not in their area.

In USA, I am aware that the FDA has approved a prescription for excessive daytime sleepiness, but I am fearful of all new allopathic medicines with unknown longterm consequences in developing bodies, not to mention insanely expensive.

I wish you all the best. You are extremely worried as any mother wouldbe and naturally so. As always, pray to God to send you to the right person, right solution and resolution of your worry.

You and your daughter are in my prayers today. May God bless your family. OM

nayidulhan and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

I trust u had heard of black gram உளுந்து களி. Girls attained puberty regularly fed with this preparation. It would take care harmonal changes and maker her uterus etc strong and helpful in long run. In rural south of India this is included in the girls menu.

nayidulhan likes this.
  10. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks @mangaii. Her blood work was done a couple of months ago and by God's grace everything was normal. The Doc has advised Calcium and Multi vitamins for her. It's been a week since we started this. I am hoping for the best now.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024